Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Police chief resigns, NM force has gone to the dog

12 posts in this topic

VAUGHN, N.M. (AP) — A drug-sniffing dog now is the only certified member of the police force in the small eastern New Mexico town of Vaughn.

Police Chief Ernest "Chris" Armijo decided to step down Wednesday after news stories reported that he wasn't allowed to carry a gun because of his criminal background.

"He decided the attention was distracting," said Dave Romero, an attorney for the town.

http://news.yahoo.co...-200452443.html

JetPhoto likes this

"Police Chief Ernest "Chris" Armijo decided to step down Wednesday after news stories reported that he wasn't allowed to carry a gun because of his criminal background."

"He decided the attention was distracting,"

Distracting or scared that someone would confront an unarmed LEO?

Reminds me of Barney Fife

post-4072-0-91314300-1348834423.jpg

Edited by Bnechis
peterose313 likes this

The only thing here that could really preclude his duty carry of a weapon is the charge that he feloniously sold a town-owned rifle, then pocketed the cash. However, the news report doesn't go into the full specifics of the allegation, and with the aid of a good lawyer, the situation could actually be explained to a degree where either the charges are dropped or are downgraded to less than a felony, which would then enable the chief to keep his weapon.

The child support payments, generally speaking, aren't necessarily "criminal" insofar as they are neither felonious nor dangerous. Although they violate the terms of a civil settlement, and may be construed as contempt for both the settlement and the court that ordered it, that charge alone (at least when applied to the provisions of 18 USC 922), isn't enough to take the chief's weapon.

I do agree, however, that it is a mess, and if I were a resident of that town, I'd be pretty PO-ed.Since the article describes that it is in a high-risk area for narcotics trafficking, I wonder what the town would do for police services, and whether any contingency plans have been set in place.

I do agree, however, that it is a mess, and if I were a resident of that town, I'd be pretty PO-ed.Since the article describes that it is in a high-risk area for narcotics trafficking, I wonder what the town would do for police services, and whether any contingency plans have been set in place.

The article stated that the County Sheriff's office would try to help out but that they are already stretched thin.. Sounds like a mess

I know in VT, back child support or tax payments can result in having professional certification pulled. It is a means to ensure that back payments are made and only those reputable to hold such positions do so.

the charge that he feloniously sold a town-owned rifle, then pocketed the cash.........with the aid of a good lawyer,......... the charges are dropped or are downgraded to less than a felony, which would then enable the chief to keep his weapon.

The child support payments......and may be construed as contempt for both the settlement and the court that ordered it,

Since the article describes that it is in a high-risk area for narcotics trafficking, I wonder what the town would do for police services, and whether any contingency plans have been set in place.

If the lawyer can get him off? Financal issues and an area for narcotics trafficking....

A one cop (with no gun) town had no police service when he was there. And he was in a very good position to look the other way or worst.

Edited by Bnechis

If the lawyer can get him off? Financal issues and an area for narcotics trafficking....

A one cop (with no gun) town had no police service when he was there. And he was in a very good position to look the other way or worst.

With our criminal justice system, you'd be surprised what can happen. The Menendez brothers were acquitted the first time, and they reloaded.