moggie6

Mutual Aid to Hurricane Sandy

92 posts in this topic

Can we get a list of departments and units that are responding down to Long Island and elsewhere? I know Fairview Dutchess is there with 1 engine as of right now along with other Dutchess County Units. Anyone else?

Amenia and Hughsonville 45-55. Was told last night Arlington 32-45 and New Hamburg 53-45 were going but can't confirm. Claverack (Columbia) sent an engine.

Well, if nothing else was learned after Katrina, hopefully agencies respond through proper channels when requested and don't freelance. That was, in my opinion, one of the most frustrating aspects down there.

I received word from my chief up here in St. Lawrence County, and he said that "The NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control, as part of the Statewide Mutual Aid and Mobilization plan, has asked each county to canvass for available resources for deployment to NYS and Long Island area."

We are looking at sending an Engine down there within the next day or two and hope to be down there to help.

Edited by GBFD111
firedude, PFDRes47cue and mllax14 like this

It's not a department, but Massachusetts Maritime Academy's training ship T/S Kennedy was activated and will be sent down to NYC once it is up and running.

It's not a department, but Massachusetts Maritime Academy's training ship T/S Kennedy was activated and will be sent down to NYC once it is up and running.

What is the purpose of this ship. I looked at the web site was I am not sure how it's to be used.

http://www.maritime.edu/index.cfm?pg=405

Basically it is designed to hold 700 cadets and take them on yearly cruises for sea term, which lasts around 3 months. There are classrooms and several berthing areas. I was on sea term when the earthquake hit Haiti, and the ship was activated and was going to be sent down to act as an area to house rescuers. This never happened, as we were de activated before we reached Florida ( to offload us cadets) and the USS BAATAN was closer and able to get there faster. As for its use in NYC, I would imagine it could be housing people or it could provide power to the shore using its steam plant. It could also be loading and bringing supplies down using the cargo holds.

Medic137, JetPhoto and x4093k like this

The ship's main use will be for housing.

The ship will set sail Sunday for Elizabeth City, N.J. —on the New York/ New Jersey border near the hard-hit Staten Island.

There it will house up to 700 workers from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as well as power crews working to restore electricity in the area.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121101/NEWS11/121109985/0/NEWS

JetPhoto likes this

Hughonsville sent members, there's somewhat of a list in the Sandy thread if you want to pick them out of there.

Currently utility trucks are being loaded onto C-130's from Southern California and are en route to NY as soon as the apparent fog lifts out there.

Note: This is not my photo and was retweeted from @NYCAviation on Twitter. Photo was originally tweeted by a @SCOMOTRON on twitter

https://twitter.com/...1774976/photo/1

https://twitter.com/SCOMOTRON/status/264032506385424386/photo/1

USS San Antonio and USS Carter Hall are deploying to NYC and NJ

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/11/01/warship-that-escaped-sandy-returns-to-help-nynj

Currently utility trucks are being loaded onto C-130's from Southern California and are en route to NY as soon as the apparent fog lifts out there.

Note: This is not my photo and was retweeted from @NYCAviation on Twitter. Photo was originally tweeted by a @SCOMOTRON on twitter

https://twitter.com/...1774976/photo/1

https://twitter.com/...5424386/photo/1

Not a C-130... Its a C-17 Globemaster III...

Edited by mfc2257
JetPhoto and Medic411 like this

Not a C-130... Its a C-117 Globemaster III...

What types of Utility Trucks can that aircraft fit? How many?

What types of Utility Trucks can that aircraft fit? How many?

About 6 standard single axle utility bucket trucks

Edited by mfc2257

From Mid Hudson News

Equipment, supplies to reconstruct electric grid arrives at Stewart Guard Base STEWART AIRPORT - The first of 17 Air Force cargo planes carrying 69 repair vehicles and equipment from California for use in New York and New Jersey is arriving late today (Thursday) at Stewart Air National Guard Base.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/November/01/105thAW_inbound_Sandy-01Nov12.htm

The Ossining Fire Department will be responding to Nassau County with 2331, 2334, Ladder 41 and Engine 99 for a 72 Hour deployment tomorrow morning.

Chief Reddy

Monty, JetPhoto, GBFD111 and 2 others like this

I hear Wassaic is sending BIG BLUE down tommorow. (69-31, a tanker)

Putnam county fire Departments were asked today about sending units either tommorrow or possibly a second group on Saturday. Not sure who is sending anything. My department its stretched pretty thin, so I would be surprised if we send anything

PFDRes47cue likes this

Amenia and Hughsonville 45-55. Was told last night Arlington 32-45 and New Hamburg 53-45 were going but can't confirm. Claverack (Columbia) sent an engine.

New Hamburg 53-45 (tower ladder) leaving Friday Morning, 72 hour deploy to Nassau County, hearing possibly covering Long Beach .
x129K likes this

Per OC OEM the following have already deployed:

Greenwood Lake FD

Unionville FD

Vails Gate FD

Walden FD

West Point FD

Winona Lake FD

Woodbury FD

OC Fire Coordinators

JetPhoto and spin_the_wheel like this

I'm hearing some preliminary discussions of some assets from CT going to NJ, beyond the Blackhawk and flight crew that was sent from CT National Guard the other day. Though I think that's going to be dependent upon the status of the Nor'easter next week, but I'm not sure.

x4093k likes this

The same reason why NY Maritime's college Training Ship Empire State was sent to New Orleans for Kitrina its a floating hotel and can provide massive amounts of fresh water and power to the shore if needed. not as much as a carrier can but it can help a little.

My cousin deployed with an engine from Rombout tonight to Long Island

Wilton and West Crescent FDs (Saratoga County) both sent engines to Long Island, they are staging at Long Beach FD Station # 2.

AMR Strike Teams from California, Colorado and Arizona were sent to stage at Fort Dix. They were latter mobilized to the Hospitals to evacuate.

Edited by firedude

From Columbiapage.com

From CC Fire Coordinator John Howe~

Columbia County Fire Departments continue to support the recovery effort on Long Island. Red Rock and Claverack were demobilized yesterday and arrived home around midnight. Niverville,Stuyvesant and Ghent are due home today(11/2).

At 08:00 hrs today (11/2)Hudson,Germantown and Kinderhook with Type I engines and Greenport with a Heavy Rescue will deploy to Nassau County for 72 hrs.

Saturday morning(11/3) at 03:00 hrs. Chatham and Spencertown will be deploying to Suffolk County with SEFU units for 72 hrs.

Thanks again to everyone for this effort.

As some Dutchess units are returning, more have deployed

Eight Dutchess County fire companies join the Long Island restoration

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, eight fire companies from Dutchess County traveled to Nassau County to assist in the restoration efforts.

Equipment and firefighters from Rombout, Roosevelt, Pleasant Valley, LaGrange, Wassaic, New Hamburg, Tivoli and the Village of Fishkill arrived at the Nassau County Public Safely Building in Westbury at mid-day Friday.

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/November/02/DC_fireDepts-02Nov12.htm

I passed the following rigs on 87 today in Rockland County

Greene County

East Durham Fire Company TA - 85

East Durham Fire Company --Mini -- E86

Greenville Fire Company ETA-111

Orange County

Bullville Engine 255

Mechanicstown Engine 118

Saratoga County

Greenfield Center Fire District ETA 262

firedude, x4093k and spin_the_wheel like this