moggie6

Mutual Aid to Hurricane Sandy

92 posts in this topic

I was deployed on Saturday morning (Yonkers spare L-78) at about 0900Hrs with a crew of five firefighters and did not get home until Monday morning at about 0230Hrs. We were first sent to Freeport LI and then sent to Baldwin LI. I had a great crew who was willing to do anything asked to help the people of Long Island. We responded to many calls and our relief crew actually caught a couple of structure fires.

x635, JetPhoto, eric12401 and 4 others like this

I was deployed on Saturday morning (Yonkers spare L-78) at about 0900Hrs with a crew of five firefighters and did not get home until Monday morning at about 0230Hrs. We were first sent to Freeport LI and then sent to Baldwin LI. I had a great crew who was willing to do anything asked to help the people of Long Island. We responded to many calls and our relief crew actually caught a couple of structure fires.

You make me proud Wonderboy! Really.

Brendan likes this

To the Brothers from Depts with funny names to the North ----------- all of us from Nassau want to extend a simple but heart felt

THANK YOU!

It definitely was interesting to hear Yonkers L-78 & the Battalion covering Hempstead while we were operating at fire the other morning.

Please Stay Safe.

Edited by learndabasics

As xfirefighter484x said, Arlington 32-45 & Millbrook 49-31 relocated this morning to L.I.

Fairview (Dutchess) also sent an engine and Nathan said Olive FD is also down there

Edited by JetPhoto

Centerville and West Hurley fire departments in Ulster each weren't an engine and manpower down

To date counties who have sent resources.... Albany, Allegany, Broome, Columbia, Delaware, Dutchess, Franklin, Greene, Monroe, Oneida, Orange, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Senica, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Westchester. Again thank you to all, some of you have traveled a very long distance with your rigs. Not an easy trip.

JetPhoto, x635 and BFD1054 like this

Maybe it's just me, but looking at different media sources, mostly social media, it appears that some covering companies are using their time "down south" as more of a photo op than anything else...

I know a few of the very first guys who went down without hesitation, and their hearts were truly in it...but some others I see really make me shake my head..

Again, maybe it's just me...

I used to get mad about this sort of thing but i realized that it's just some peoples way and most mean no harm. I many times wish I took a picture of somethings but it's never the first thing on my mind. I was in Rockaway a few days ago and took 2 pictures total. Kinda felt guilty taking a picture. Plenty of work still left to do many members lost almost everything. The bright side is you see the brotherhood in action doing the right thing.

x635, x129K and BFD1054 like this

I used to get mad about this sort of thing but i realized that it's just some peoples way and most mean no harm. I many times wish I took a picture of somethings but it's never the first thing on my mind. I was in Rockaway a few days ago and took 2 pictures total. Kinda felt guilty taking a picture. Plenty of work still left to do many members lost almost everything. The bright side is you see the brotherhood in action doing the right thing.

I have not been there however, In todays world where anyone who has a phone can take a picture of course you will see photos. Are the jobs being handled? appears to be, is there also some down time from what I hear - yes - I don't see an issue with people taking photos as long as they are not breaking department guidelines or the department where they are stationed request not too.

I believe it's good to take photos to show the destruction people are seeing, it gives an urgency of exactly how bad it is. So as you may want to sit with your feet up (example only not picking on you) others may want to document their experience. This also is documentation that you can bring back to your department for validation of you and your expensive piece of equipment to be down there.

Just my honest opinion.

highwaybuff likes this

Hey, I am ALL FOR helping out, beleive me - it's Brotherhood at it best, but let's be honest...if you have time to "update your status" every few minutes...or "check in" on Facebook...well then maybe your time could be better actually used helping your Brothers.

And I think we all know my opinion on picture taking...I am a picture buff from wayyyy back when...but there IS a time and a place.

I enjoyed pictures like Danger posted...shows the conditions members had to deal with..

Dont read too deep into what i posted...I was "just sayin'"....in fact, I spent some time questioning myself as maybe I am being hyper-critical of the situation...but I was proven right again today..so I stand by my statement.

Edited by x129K

I saw Barnstable county mass? Trench rescue team going south on 95 in Milford CT today. Were they headed down there, there was also a communications trailer following them.

Ardsley FD Engine 164 and car 2012 with a mixed crew from Ardsley/Dobbs Ferry were deployed to Ocean side Monday morning an got back this after noon

Anyone know if "Hunter" ambulance has anything to do with the storm? I passed one on 684 in Katonah today, it had lots of people in the back of it (no patient or anything, looked like it was being used to transport a bunch of people) Any info would be appreciated.

I saw the engine from Ardsley today when I was down there... what firehouse were they out of?

Anyone know if "Hunter" ambulance has anything to do with the storm? I passed one on 684 in Katonah today, it had lots of people in the back of it (no patient or anything, looked like it was being used to transport a bunch of people) Any info would be appreciated.

"Hunter's" Ambulance in Meriden maybe? What was the color scheme?

Maybe it's just me, but looking at different media sources, mostly social media, it appears that some covering companies are using their time "down south" as more of a photo op than anything else...

I know a few of the very first guys who went down without hesitation, and their hearts were truly in it...but some others I see really make me shake my head..

Again, maybe it's just me...

*edit.

I was not referring to any of the pics posted here...FYI.

We went down without hesitation, slept on cots, sat in the dark, ate PB&J for four days, cleaned the firehouses, ran many calls. I took a bunch of pictures. There was damage that hasn't been seen in many years, if ever and going down and being able to help was an honor and a privilege that I'll never forget. I took the photos to remember it. The firefighters and residents were extremely grateful to see us and took pictures with us.

Hey, I am ALL FOR helping out, beleive me - it's Brotherhood at it best, but let's be honest...if you have time to "update your status" every few minutes...or "check in" on Facebook...well then maybe your time could be better actually used helping your Brothers.

And I think we all know my opinion on picture taking...I am a picture buff from wayyyy back when...but there IS a time and a place.

I enjoyed pictures like Danger posted...shows the conditions members had to deal with..

Dont read too deep into what i posted...I was "just sayin'"....in fact, I spent some time questioning myself as maybe I am being hyper-critical of the situation...but I was proven right again today..so I stand by my statement.

I think I have a good idea of what X129k meant because I feel the same way. Some of our resources from my county went down, and they had time to pose in front of the station they covered and took a picture to send back to our local paper...needless to say it was front page news around here after our stint from last years storms devastated our county. But what I am feeling is, why the need to be in the paper? If you want to help...HELP. Dont take group shots and do the facebook thing and the tweet thing and send them to all the papers...just help and do what we all do best.

I was there too, but I was either running generators to those that needed them, fueling them, removing downed trees from our houses, running supplies to people that needed it, clearing debris....I had no time for photos to send to the papers...I had no desire to do so either. I wanted to help. I wish I could go with my FD but where I work I am pretty much tasked the whole time we have storms and states of emergencies, and either get deployed to the area's affected or to the state EOC bunker for coverage.

Stay safe everyone that is down there now and will be there in the future, lots of devastation and hazards so stay alert and be safe.

Moose

x129K likes this

As far as photos go, it's so easy to take a photo nowdays, especially with everyone having camera phones. It takes only seconds to snap a shot.

I agree with the using photos to brag-that's inappropriate, but photos have another purpose as well.

It goes to document what happened, and the response to it. I feel it's a good tool when there's threats to cut funding. The public should also know that their community's firefighters are out there helping. It's also good when documenting the department's history.

A photo is worth 1,000 words. We saw all the damage in the papers, on the news, and online. The photos and videos of the very dramatic damage, I feel, really sparked a call to action. I don't know if the relief efforts would have been the same without those photos.

I think some of you are blowing this out of proportion... In these kind of operations there is a lot of waiting around for assignments, supplies etc. to begin with. I am sure that they weren't busy 100% of the time to take a few pictures. Maybe these pictures were taken after they had been relieved and de-moblized to return home? How do you know without actually being there?

Pride is a big factor here also.. remember that these guys who went down there gave up their time missed work, family time, etc. to go help their brothers in need... Remember that word brotherhood? So what if they wanted to take a few pictures to remember it?

Public Relations is a big thing these days as I am sure all of you know... We all have websites and local newspapers, in this modern age PR is a big issue that departments should be looking at. Even volunteer departments have to think about it. When that big vote for the new engine comes up to replace your 25 Y/o rig where are the citizens going to look for information about you? The first place they will check is your website. Why not have as many positive things on there as possible, why not show them that you go above and beyond to provide a valuable service to them and are capable? PR can go along way in todays world.....

Just some quick thoughts that I had on the matter.

highwaybuff, BFD1054 and x4093k like this

Hunter's Ambulance is based out of Meriden, CT and have a white and maroon color scheme. I beleive they are part of the CAG (Certified Ambualnce Group) and I know through the CT forum they have been asked to help out with coverage to the affected areas.

As for photos, you also have to look at it from a historical and research point of view. Yah we all may be taking ome shot down there and it may look like "photo ops" per-se but on the flip side, those photos are documenting everthing that happened to all the affected areas. In do time, researchers are going to look at these photos and try to come up with a plan what to do to help prevent this disaster or worse from happening again. Its also a documantation of the fact others travled so far to help other out in thier time of need.

I think some of you are blowing this out of proportion... In these kind of operations there is a lot of waiting around for assignments, supplies etc. to begin with. I am sure that they weren't busy 100% of the time to take a few pictures. Maybe these pictures were taken after they had been relieved and de-moblized to return home? How do you know without actually being there?

Pride is a big factor here also.. remember that these guys who went down there gave up their time missed work, family time, etc. to go help their brothers in need... Remember that word brotherhood? So what if they wanted to take a few pictures to remember it?

Public Relations is a big thing these days as I am sure all of you know... We all have websites and local newspapers, in this modern age PR is a big issue that departments should be looking at. Even volunteer departments have to think about it. When that big vote for the new engine comes up to replace your 25 Y/o rig where are the citizens going to look for information about you? The first place they will check is your website. Why not have as many positive things on there as possible, why not show them that you go above and beyond to provide a valuable service to them and are capable? PR can go along way in todays world.....

Just some quick thoughts that I had on the matter.

I have no problem taking pictures, in fact thats what the media are here for, my big thing about this is all the blowhard wannabe firefighters who just couldnt wait to go to the media websites like facebook and post pictures of themselves for bragging rights, not historical value or documenting a terrible tragedy for future generations, but pure bragging rights. Then the ones that sent their pictures to local newspapers and asked for them to be posted...not of the damage that happened, but of themselves...I have a problem with that.

Take all the pictures you want when you have the free downtime, but my feelings are, if you were on long island you shouldnt have had free time...if there were no calls then you could have picked up a shovel, or broom and helped people clean up, remove debris, patrol the area in case someone needed help but had no phones.

Maybe I am just tired and exhausted. Hope no one took offense to my comments.

Moose

Hunter's Ambulance is based out of Meriden, CT and have a white and maroon color scheme.

Anyone know if "Hunter" ambulance has anything to do with the storm?

There is also Hunter Ambulance that also has a white and maroon scheme out of Queens, right by the Nassau County line.

I saw the engine from Ardsley today when I was down there... what firehouse were they out of?

Oceanside Station 3 Terrace Hose Company
JM15 likes this

Thank you to Brothers from White Plains L-33 for their assistance this AM in Hempstead.

Stay Safe.

Just to re-itterate Spinthewheel's post, a HUGE thank you to all our brothers from "up north" that have made the trek down here to help us out. It is TRULY appreciated!!!!

In the past few years, I/we've had the honor to work with some of yas between the ice storms/floods (Mamaroneck Village for 24 hrs, New City for 72 Hrs), never thought that we'd have to "cash-in" on those favors, but, as always, the brothers stepped up to the plate.

Again, many thanks, and when the dust/water/s*** settles down, it'll be time for some re-unions! Stay safe!

helicopper, x129K and BFD1054 like this

Somers VFD Engine 180 relocated to Oceanside FD In Nassau County. One of the chief's wrote a great article about it and took some amazing photos.. http://www.somersvfd...w.cfm?News_ID=7

Stay Safe!

The guys at Salamander in Oceanside are a great group of guys and they are doing a great job dealing with what they were dealt with. It was a pleasure helping them out.

RJB896 likes this

Me and four other guys from my department went down to the Rockaways to help a battalion chief your his house. He was very grateful and we were excited to lend him a hand in his time of need

eric12401 likes this