x635

Stamford Rescue 1 Apparatus Status

33 posts in this topic

Stamford's HME Rescue 1 is now out of service indefinitely. This comes less than 2 years after going into service. The body has significant wear issues, including floor cracks and failures. The truck has been stripped and is headed back to the factory in Michigan, where HME claims that they will try and rebuild it. This is the second time the truck has had to go back to the factory since delivery. The first trip was for significant water leaks in the body. Stamford is running their old Hackney rescue for now that can't fit all Rescue 1 has to carry, and there is talk about trying to get the older 93 Mack Rescue back from the Police Department

Also, Stamford Rescue 1 is one of the premier rescue companies in the northeast. They deserve the best apparatus available. The people who spec'd the HME Rescue 1 weren't really given a choice as to what manufacturer they could go with, and they did the best they could to spec it with what they had to work with.

IzzyEng4 likes this

The old Mack is back and is currently at the Fire Departments Maintenance Garage. It has been sitting for 2 years as the PD never used it. It needs a little TLC and then maybe a quick paint job then i'm sure it will be back in service.

x635, IzzyEng4, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

The old Mack is back and is currently at the Fire Departments Maintenance Garage. It has been sitting for 2 years as the PD never used it. It needs a little TLC and then maybe a quick paint job then i'm sure it will be back in service.

Those old Macks just keep on ticken.and kicken.

sfrd18, IzzyEng4, BFD1054 and 2 others like this

Yes, that is the 93 Mack....it is now painted in Police black and white, but could easily get some paint and back to where it should be.

IzzyEng4, sfrd18 and x129K like this

Seth, all manufacturers have had some lemons float out there at times. Cal EMA (formerly OES) has been buying HME urban interface pumpers at a good clip over the past 8 years or more. As far as I know they are still buying them.

AT one point, HME had a dealer set up to sell in the New England area, and my old hometown dept bought an Ahrens Fox 1500 GPM pumper in 2004. As far as I can tell, hacve had no problema with it at all. Brockton Fire has been all HME up until this year.

With the dealer gone, they have 2 Pierces on order. The knocks against almost all custom builders surface regularly, usually from a small dept. who does not like change or has had a real problem with one rig.

Still waiting to hear about the FDNY contract for 96 engines, any hard news on this yet? For those that do not remember, L A County Fire also ordered and has in service 96 engines from an order several yaers ago. They have ordered more this year and have had KMEs for ten years or more.

Stamford's HME Rescue 1 is now out of service indefinitely. This comes less than 2 years after going into service. The body has significant wear issues, including floor cracks and failures.

This is little surprise to me, our HME chassis engine was problematic from day 1 to the point where at year 5 or so numerous floor cracks and wear were discovered. While this was corrected by HME after Rosenbauer (who'd acquired Central States the original manufacturer) turned their back on us (other body issues as well). But alas, the engine which is second string now still has numerous issues and soured our FD to anything HME. For what it's worth, the VFD next door has two "newer" HME's that have few issues, though see far less street time.
IzzyEng4 likes this

I passed SFRD Rescue 1 this morning on I-684 near Katona, heading north. looked like a mechanic was driving it.

IzzyEng4 likes this

LA County Fire has 200 rigs from KME as of now. In the begining they had nothing but problems (ie) keep machanics employed. So KME worked with county and now they are better but still have many issues.

IzzyEng4 likes this

Copy, giving vagasbuff a total on county kme. I know its about HME. Thanks.

LA County Fire has 200 rigs from KME as of now. In the begining they had nothing but problems (ie) keep machanics employed. So KME worked with county and now they are better but still have many issues.

I know lots of departments with KME's who have continous problems.. Usually Mechanically. Never heard any Seagrave's or Pierce having problems, but I am sure it happens.

I know lots of departments with KME's who have continous problems.. Usually Mechanically. Never heard any Seagrave's or Pierce having problems, but I am sure it happens.

LOL...Seagraves extensive warranty for FDNY has bankrupted more than 1 dealer and is reportedly the reason Seagrave did not bid some of the last round of FDNY rigs.

And we have had 3 Pierces, 1 collapsed gue to poor design that they knew about and fail to advise us and recall it. Another that spends 40% of its time in the shop.

We have yet to find someone who can build one without problems. Some are better than others, the real key is how responsive is there service.

BFD1054, sfrd18, GBFD109 and 1 other like this

It's sad to hear SFRD is going through this with their apparatus, especially with R-1. But unfortunately may manufacturers trying to sell the lates and greatest thing since scliced bread without proper oversight of the construction process. Too many manufacturers don't put the quality and pride in building thier apparatus and just want to pump trucks out.

I hope everything works out for the guys and girls in Stamford with getting the Mack up and running again and eventually leading to a new piece of apparatus.

BFD1054 and sfrd18 like this

Maybe th body will fall off on its way to Michigan and a bystander feels so bad for us that they donate a pierce dual axle arrow xt .

I never saw a "stainless steel" body bend and crack like this?????.

HME also claims they invented the question mark!!

I never saw a "stainless steel" body bend and crack like this?????.

We have had a few that did, particularly under the tank

HME could start by actually building a frame for the body, instead of bending metal to create the strength.

The next time you want to see why the HME product is failing, just stop by their booth the next trade show (they will be glad to talk to someone/anyone)....take a look at their product, particularly how they assemble....then take a walk over to any other manufacturer and compare.

In my opinion.....you might just think that the North Koreans have entered the North American fire apparatus market...cause that is how sheltered HME is from the rest of the apparatus world.

Has anyone had a first-hand look at their new dual front axle ladder? Nuff said....

Seth put out a apparatus pole by manufacture lets see what rigs departments are buying I'm curious myself to see how HME sales are doing.

I remember hearing that Turn of River's R66 (also an HME and a little older that R1) had water leaks in the roof also. So I don't think that anyone can claim that R1 having problems is a fluke. Being somewhat bussier than R66 is probably just came to a head faster, but really the question is why would TWO departments give up mack rescues for Home Made Equipment? Oh that's right, low bid.

R1 was found to be leaking prior to acceptance of the rig. It was "fixed" several times before delivery was accepted. The main bulk of the water dripped into the electrical panel. The old Mack is back in SFRD possession at this time. It needs some maintenance performed due to sitting idle for two years or so. Of all the HMEs we have, Engine 14 (the first one we got, in 2004), is probably the best. It was a demo, so probably built better than production models.

Kind of related....has Stamford replaced the Engines that were destroyed on I-95 a while back?

ffdltg76 likes this

Does anyone have a picture of the 93 Mack? Also Happy Thanksgiving to all!

The rig from the I-95 collision was repaired, not replaced.

HME mailed out one of their many boilerplate bodies sitting in their back yard and it was bolted it back onto the frame at the local Dealer....Whamo...instant firetruck....I guess HME has some benefit....

How about running it Red over black and removing all the SPD decals off of it? :D

Seriously, hope everything goes well getting the Mack up and running again!

SageVigiles likes this

As of this morning, it was still sitting the SFRD shops painted and lettered for Stamford PD. Checked Station 1 and 5, and didn't see New Rochelle's Rescue in service in Stamford which I was hoping to get a photo of. Only one I saw was the Hackney at the shops.

Has anything been determined with the HME rescue?

post-11-0-34388100-1366840063.jpg