x635

Study Claims Yonkers Is "Overpoliced"

11 posts in this topic

Really? Reeeeeaaaalllllyyy? Maybe Yonkers has a low crime rate as compared to similar cities, but maybe...no...it's due to YPD.

Study: Yonkers Is Among Nation's Most 'Overpoliced'

by Matt Bultman, Yonkers Daily Voice

YONKERS, N.Y. Yonkers has been among the most overpoliced cities in the nation, a recent study has found.

FULL ARTICLE: http://yonkers.dailyvoice.com/police-fire/study-yonkers-among-nations-most-overpoliced

FULLY STUDY/PAPER: http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~jmccrary/chalfin_mccrary2012.pdf

The crime rate may be lower than other cities but the crime rate is still very high overall. Reduce the number of cops and the crime rate will go higher. Maybe the people who do these studies should spend a couple of weeks in a patrol car and see up front what goes on in Yonkers and not base their studies on text books and formulas. A similair study was done years ago about the corrections department that there were too many correction officers verse inmates. The suit and tie people that did the study had fancy titles but never worked a cellblock or dealt with violent offenders and they based thier formula on the over all amount of officers and not officers per shift.

grumpyff likes this

Really? Reeeeeaaaalllllyyy? Maybe Yonkers has a low crime rate as compared to similar cities, but maybe...no...it's due to YPD.

FULL ARTICLE: http://yonkers.dailyvoice.com/police-fire/study-yonkers-among-nations-most-overpoliced

FULLY STUDY/PAPER: http://emlab.berkeley.edu/~jmccrary/chalfin_mccrary2012.pdf

The fact that its a study out of the University of California-Berkley is the first problem.

Apparently, it was purely an academic analysis of the City of Yonkers, with no practical elements, such as standing in Getty Square at 3am on a Friday or a Saturday with a fat knot in their pockets.

JM15 and SageVigiles like this

The fact that its a study out of the University of California-Berkley is the first problem.

You're probably onto something. UC-Berkley professors and grad students probably came out, saw that cops actually arrested people instead of hugging them into compliance, and therefore determined its "over-policed." They will probably recommend mandatory retraining and have ESU repurposed to hand out lollypops and teddy bears to violent offenders, after all, they're just misunderstood, right?

I don't go to Yonkers often. Last time I was there a few words came to mind as I picked up my White Castle, and "over-policed" was certainly not one of them, quite in fact I don't think I've ever thought of a place as overly policed... but hey, what do I know, I'm not a Professor from one of the safest cities on the left coast.

Seriously though, HFD has a point, I wonder if these people ever actually rode along with YPD to see what they go through, or if this was purely based on a particular numbers game.

Edited by SageVigiles
210 and JM15 like this

I don't go to Yonkers often. Last time I was there a few words came to mind as I picked up my White Castle

How many times did you have to stop for bathroom breaks on the way back to CT? lol

SageVigiles likes this

Before I even attempted to read this garbage, I saw that these 2 windbags are from berkley and that was it for me.

You can't figure out how a city needs to be policed using mathmatic equations, you figure it out by working an early tour in my precinct in the middle of the summer during a heatwave.

There is no reason to give this report any creedence.

I say print it out and toss it in the circular file.

Well said, though at the risk of sounding like a Berkley student, printing it is a waste of paper... haha.

210 likes this

You're probably onto something. UC-Berkley professors and grad students probably came out, saw that cops actually arrested people instead of hugging them into compliance, and therefore determined its "over-policed." They will probably recommend mandatory retraining and have ESU repurposed to hand out lollypops and teddy bears to violent offenders, after all, they're just misunderstood, right?

I don't go to Yonkers often. Last time I was there a few words came to mind as I picked up my White Castle, and "over-policed" was certainly not one of them, quite in fact I don't think I've ever thought of a place as overly policed... but hey, what do I know, I'm not a Professor from one of the safest cities on the left coast.

Seriously though, HFD has a point, I wonder if these people ever actually rode along with YPD to see what they go through, or if this was purely based on a particular numbers game.

I doubt this study is based on anything other than a statistical analysis. They discuss reviewing UCR data and budgetary information but there is no mention of any type of personal assessment.

Before I even attempted to read this garbage, I saw that these 2 windbags are from berkley and that was it for me.

You can't figure out how a city needs to be policed using mathmatic equations, you figure it out by working an early tour in my precinct in the middle of the summer during a heatwave.

There is no reason to give this report any creedence.

Well said!!

I say they new what they were geting into now make them ride a tour in a summer heat wave at 2:am on a friday.