peterose313

Wisconsin Tower Ladder Lit Up For Christmas

22 posts in this topic

I came across this video on Facebook from the Cottage Grove Fire Department in Texas. They are a Volunteer Fire Department who spent $1,000 on 10,000 Christmas lights for their rig and well, THIS was the final product. I found it to be pretty cool!

The uploader on youtube is jackb3856

http://youtu.be/H8NgIvUU3NM

Edited by peterose313
Westfield12 likes this

I think thats New Ro ladder 12, they brought it to the buget vote tonight and you know what, it worked good job on saving the firefighters and the city !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I didn't realize we could say anything on here that criticized a fire department, especially if the word volunteer is in the original post.....

At least that Tower Ladder wasn't needed to respond to an emergency in the 40 plus hours it was decorated (and presumably out of service)

"Sorry Mr. Taxpayer, that $1,000,000 fire truck you bought for us wasn't available to come save your family because, well, it was Christmas time and we needed to make a kick-ass video with it. How were we to know there would actually be a fire in our district. There wasn't one last week. Can't those dispatchers schedule these calls a little better?

x129K, DonMoose, PCFD ENG58 and 4 others like this

To those of you who are criticizing the video and or the department, if you look at the comments section in the video the person (poprecords1) who uploaded this originally commented that "The set-up is designed to (mostly) stay on the truck and not effect its utility. The system that controls the lights and the speakers are removed when not at the parade. The lights and work do not cost the taxpayers a penny."

Edited by peterose313

To those of you who are criticizing the video and or the department, if you look at the comments section in the video the person (poprecords1) who uploaded this originally commented that "The set-up is designed to (mostly) stay on the truck and not effect its utility. The system that controls the lights and the speakers are removed when not at the parade. The lights and work do not cost the taxpayers a penny."

There are characters in the bucket and lights going up the ladder that LOOK like they would at least impair your using the railing as climbing. Unless the characters in the bucket do better work than the firemen, how does this NOT effect utility???

x129K likes this

I know you'll hate me for this, but You said "Mostly doesn't effect utility" but the items on the ladder, by the pump, in the bucket, don't effect it? I saw the guys comments, still doesnt answer my question.

I'm not criticizing the video or department. I have a problem with a piece of apparatus, that the fire depatment has because they "need" it, being used in this way. The only way that it doesn't affect the "utility" of the rig, is if it is completely removable. How long does it take to remove all of that? There is no way that thing is functional at a fire the way it sits. There are decorations in the basket, wires on the boom, lights on the rims, etc. Can it be raised, rotated, and extended? Can the rig respond at a speed faster than a crawl without getting those wires and lights flung off the rims and tangled or whipping against the body? How about compartments? Is access difficult because of the wires and crap all over that thing? Ground ladders? How manywires are going to get tangled there?

I guess the fire can wait, it always waits

BFD1054 and x129K like this

I know you'll hate me for this, but You said "Mostly doesn't effect utility" but the items on the ladder, by the pump, in the bucket, don't effect it? I saw the guys comments, still doesnt answer my question.

Why would I hate you for your comment? Don't quote me as saying "mostly doesn't effect utility". Those were the words of the person who created/uploaded the video originally. If anything, you or anyone for that matter should ask the person who created the video (I provided his username on youtube earlier) or contact the department. Seth provided a link to them in an earlier comment. I'm sure he/they could answer whatever questions/comments/concerns people have better than I could. His comment(s) sounded good to me but apparently not to others. I just happened to catch the video on facebook and shared it here. I have absolutely 0 affiliation with that department in any way shape or form. Up until Seth mentioned they were located in Wisconsin, I thought they were in Texas. That right there should tell you how much I know. lol

I'm not criticizing the video or department. I have a problem with a piece of apparatus, that the fire depatment has because they "need" it, being used in this way. The only way that it doesn't affect the "utility" of the rig, is if it is completely removable. How long does it take to remove all of that? There is no way that thing is functional at a fire the way it sits. There are decorations in the basket, wires on the boom, lights on the rims, etc. Can it be raised, rotated, and extended? Can the rig respond at a speed faster than a crawl without getting those wires and lights flung off the rims and tangled or whipping against the body? How about compartments? Is access difficult because of the wires and crap all over that thing? Ground ladders? How manywires are going to get tangled there? I guess the fire can wait, it always waits

Thats only part of my issue - but you nailed it on the head for sure...

And first off - I want to make it clear that I am NOT a "Scrooge"...LOL. My kids LOVE these "Holiday Lights" parades that have become SO popular, and if my kids love it - I love it. They went to quite a few of them this year, and were even able to ride in a RETIRED fire engine all done up - (THANKS AFC!)

My issue with THIS particular posting is the company stated they sepnt $1k....helloooo???????? People are losing their JOBS, their HOMES, their everything in this crappy economy, and it will continue to get worse for a long while before it gets better...and someone, somewhere thought it would be OK to drop a grand on blinkie lights for a parade? You Officers, both line and civil, are put into those postions to protect the best interest of the people living within that district...and keeping spending down is part of that..spending $1000 for lights is NOT.

PCFD ENG58 likes this

Guys.. This dept has been doing this for years this is not new. If you look close you will see the lights do not block any doors or equip on the side.As for the cost, the members paid out of their own pockets. And yes, they still respond with this rig. You have dept's all over that install lights for Christmas again this is not new.

peterose313 and Remember585 like this

Guys.. This dept has been doing this for years this is not new. If you look close you will see the lights do not block any doors or equip on the side.As for the cost, the members paid out of their own pockets. And yes, they still respond with this rig. You have dept's all over that install lights for Christmas again this is not new.

If you look close, tell me how it can go down the road, or better yet, operate the aerial device without the delay of removing some of it. Just because they've been doing it or years, doesn't make it right. Departments "all over" that do this, and make the rig unusable for the duration they play dress up with the rig, tell me the really shouldn't have spent someone else's money to buy the apparatus in the first place.

Is it an in service piece of fire apparatus, or a big toy? Can't be both

Sir, i have never heard of anyone dying or a structure burning because a rig has Christmas lights on it. This is a tradition for many dept's and towns who support this.

x4093k likes this

Thank you!

If anyone feels this is a hazard or a waste or anything that was said against it, write them a letter or call them, I am sure they'll appreciate the feedback. This thread was posted only to show another department in the holiday spirit, not for people to rant about it and say basically how stupid it is. We may see it differently, but it cost the members money, not the taxpayers money to the department.

peterose313 likes this

Delete

Edited by x4093k

Hundreds of departmentrs nationwide participate in holiday parades and decorate their trucks (including my hometown, which has hosted such a parade for the last 17 years), and I have never heard a problem stemming from a decorated fire apparatus. And, generally the decorations are paid for through donations or company money, not tax funding.

I think it looks great. Apparently a lot of people don't read through a thread. It's repeatedly stated that the tax payers money was NOT involved with this. As many have said, there are hundreds of dept's nationwide that decorate their rigs during the holidays. Are you 100% certain that this truck can't operate with the lights attached to it? No. Why can't something expressing the spirit of the holidays be shown without a bunch of negative nancies griping about it. Yes....a lot of us may see it differently but damnit, enjoy the holidays for crying out loud.

Remember585 and conman like this