Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Dispatching on 2 Frequencies Simultaneously

3 posts in this topic

I've always wondered why several agencies dispatch on 2 frequencies at once. For example, a few sound shore fire departments dispatch on 46.26 and 33.96. I understand if EMS in on 1 frequency and FD is on the other, but why dispatch on 2 different frequencies for just a FD call. It’s always puzzled me, thanks.

I've always wondered why several agencies dispatch on 2 frequencies at once. For example, a few sound shore fire departments dispatch on 46.26 and 33.96. I understand if EMS in on 1 frequency and FD is on the other, but why dispatch on 2 different frequencies for just a FD call. It’s always puzzled me, thanks.

The reason is that some FD's use 33.96MHz for pager activation. The same FD uses 46.26MHz for apparatus response. So, if a member is only monitoring 46.26MHz (or doesn' have a pager) he can hear the dispatch on 46.26MHz.

The original premise for the 33.96MHz frequency was to get FD's off of 46.26MHz so that dispatch tones would not interfere with Fire Response on 46.26MHz. It never caught on the way it should have.

7586 and firedude like this

Fairview ( Greenburgh) uses 33.96 for its house tones, 46.26 for Vol pagers, then switches to a fire ground.