x635

Empress EMS New 2013 Dodge Charger AWD Flycar 43-M-1

32 posts in this topic

Spy Shots

Empress EMS 43-M-1, 2013 Dodge Charger w/ all wheel drive

One of two being delivered, with the other being assigned to 43-M-2. 43-M-1 is still is awaiting installation of of the push bar grill guard, the Whelen Howler siren, and some other goodies, and the 43-M-2 car was delivered from the dealer today to get outfitted and striped.

post-11-0-99147800-1355878781.jpg

post-11-0-85608800-1355879674.jpg

RJB896, EdAngiolillo, x129K and 7 others like this

Where will this be operated out of...I have no clue what orwhere 43M.....is...

Surely not Yonkers units....

Surely not Yonkers units....

Yep. City Of Yonkers. 43 is the designation assigned by 60 Control for Empress/Yonkers ALS.

Why didn't they go with something larger than Chargers? We have limited the number we purchased so far, partially due to their storage capacity.

x4093k likes this

Does anyone have interior layout info/what equipment the unit is carrying stock. How do these handle in bad weather i.e. snow? If it is covering the City of (Hills) Yonkers this might be a fair weather unit.

pcfpr1 likes this

I had a rear wheel drive Charger as a rental car for 3 weeks in the winter and I had to park it and get a ride because it couldn't make it up the hill in front of my apartment with a dusting.

x4093k and INIT915 like this

Why didn't they go with something larger than Chargers? We have limited the number we purchased so far, partially due to their storage capacity.

I saw the trunk this morning, and it is HUGE! You can fit two bodies in it easily. It's plenty of room to carry a Paramedic's gear, and the special operations equipment that the SOD Paramedic will be carrying..

Does anyone have interior layout info/what equipment the unit is carrying stock. How do these handle in bad weather i.e. snow? If it is covering the City of (Hills) Yonkers this might be a fair weather unit.

This will be carrying a complete set of Paramedic equipment, and meets NYSDOH requirements. And as far as weather, it is all-wheel drive.

And given its low profile, it is almost a sure bet to be involved in a collision .

The size is irrelevant to collisions. With driver training and standards, the comprehensive LED lighting, the Whelen Howler siren, and the completly reflective graffics, all steps have been taken to make sure you know that car is there in traffic. You can never prevent all collisions as they are a part of driving, but I've seen all size and shapes of vehicles involved in MVA's. Crashes don't discriminate.

I had a rear wheel drive Charger as a rental car for 3 weeks in the winter and I had to park it and get a ride because it couldn't make it up the hill in front of my apartment with a dusting.

It has all-wheel drive. Which has proven itself, because Dodge will be equipping the 2014 Dodge Charger Police package with AWD due to numerous customer request's

grumpyff likes this

Is the trunk heated Seth?

Dodge (well, a lot of manufacturers too) has ducts under the front seat to heat/cool the passengers in the back seat. A duct was extended to reach into the trunk. Also, the trunk is suprisingly well insulated and with Empress being as busy as they are and posting, the car won't be idle for very long. I also heard that the car was designed to bait you into coming back to Empress.

LOL..It's working...

If Mike and Dan buy a Suburban with a lift kit and 35 inch Swampers, I'll be back in a wink.

I am sure the price had something to do with it. These cars are very inexpensive. Sorry dont see them lasting more than 2 months in Yonkers. Try hoping a curb or pulling off the shoulder on the highway. Best of luck very strong looking.

JetPhoto, pcfpr1 and JM15 like this

Price of the vehicle has nothing to do with it. But in relation to price, the fuel consumption is less the an Expedition or Tahoe, saving money on gas.

Yonkers PD, County PD as well as numerous other PD's nationwide, use the Charger in brutal conditions, and they hold up for a few years. 43-M-1 is no different.

x129K likes this

I'd be curious as to how much you have to reach in and or down to get the equipment out. My back isn't what it use to be. :P

We ran them upstate NY. Saved a ton of money on gas. Easy to drive, tons of space. Ours were RWD police package from Warnock with the same tires NYSPD ran on their chargers. We fit all of our gear in the trunk without any problems (Defib, 2 oxygen duffels, BLS bag, ALS primary bag, spare ALS bag, vent, suction, KED, everything). We typically put the defib and the primary ALS bag on the top and popped the trunk on arrival. Best setup ever. No complaints; highly recommend. We had to run the SUV's in big snow storms though, otherwise charger was the primary vehicle.

Empress will have a lot of luck with this new AWD I bet. Congrats!

post-19991-0-04032400-1357272556.jpg

Edited by Medicone
x4093k, firedude, x129K and 3 others like this

Dan- they modified the ashtray into a NON REMOVABLE spit cup with a through-the-dash DRAIN. When you flick the high-beams three times it flushes with wind-shield wiper resevolir fluid.

idk call me old fashioned i just dont see them as being practical...im used to seeing medics roll up in either a bus or an suv... idk how it will do on the yonkers pothole filled streets or coming off a sidewalk... just another fancy attention grabber.... almost as useful as CityWide's Presidential Ambulance....idk i guess good luck and hope it goes well..

JM15, x4093k and EmsFirePolice like this

idk call me old fashioned i just dont see them as being practical...im used to seeing medics roll up in either a bus or an suv... idk how it will do on the yonkers pothole filled streets or coming off a sidewalk... just another fancy attention grabber.... almost as useful as CityWide's Presidential Ambulance....idk i guess good luck and hope it goes well..

Explain to me how this is different from the hundreds of PD's who use Dodge Chargers in the same conditions?

It's an attentionn grabber because it is sharp and unique, and that was not the intention of the the purchase. It was purchased, for one reason, to save fuel, and because it was less expensive then an SUV.

Other EMS agencies nationwide use Chargers succesfully, such as Wake County, NC. Empress is implementing a similar plan, read this article for more info:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4249886/

EdAngiolillo likes this

If it was purchased only to save money on fuel why not look into a hybrid version of something?

ff710 likes this

Explain to me how this is different from the hundreds of PD's who use Dodge Chargers in the same conditions?

It's an attentionn grabber because it is sharp and unique, and that was not the intention of the the purchase. It was purchased, for one reason, to save fuel, and because it was less expensive then an SUV.

Other EMS agencies nationwide use Chargers succesfully, such as Wake County, NC. Empress is implementing a similar plan, read this article for more info:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4249886/

So Empress is implementing APPs or were you referring to the article strictly for the vehicle?

To be honest, i find that the newer expeditions and tahoes are probably too big as a paramedic fly car...unless you're carrying two complete sets of gear. Always seemed like a bunch of empty space to me, and i regularly work in both. Given the recent changes in the special service vehicles offered by some of the leading manufactures, probably not a bad idea to broaden the horizons a bit. At the end of the day every agency has to determine what will work best for them given how and where they operate. Having the option to run something like the charger regularly and something like an expedition / tahoe during inclement weather may be the best option for some parts of the county...but often todays budgets simply don't have that sort of room.

Either way, best of luck with the new vehicles and i hope they safely transport the medics to and from jobs.

MoFire390 and x635 like this

Here's another shot of the car that I got yesterday. It's been in service with 43-M-1 (Empress ID Medic 60) in Yonkers for over a week. It's twin is still being outfitted and should be delivered shortly.

post-11-0-50229400-1358432694.jpg

So Empress is implementing APPs or were you referring to the article strictly for the vehicle?
To the vehicle, but also some similar traits to Wake's program.

(It should be noted that the former Deputy Medical Director for Wake County NC was a former Empress EMS Paramedic, and is now the Medical Director for Austin-Travis County TX EMS)

Needs those wheels powdercoated flat black IMO...

And good for paul - I didnt know that! I came into Empress as he was leaving..

87D124 likes this

They look like a good purchase for Empress, especially as the cars will operate primarily in a city environment, even if it is pretty hilly. I'd imagine this less expensive alternative could also allow them to extend the service life of their SUV's and have them available for use when the snow and ice really start flying.

87D124 and x635 like this

Question for the Empress guys, who has worked for the company longest ?( # of years). I have seen alot of faces come and go

x635 likes this

They look like a good purchase for Empress, especially as the cars will operate primarily in a city environment, even if it is pretty hilly. I'd imagine this less expensive alternative could also allow them to extend the service life of their SUV's and have them available for use when the snow and ice really start flying.

Exactly.

Question for the Empress guys, who has worked for the company longest ?( # of years). I have seen alot of faces come and go

There are a number of employees that have been with Empress over 10 years and over 20 years, which is very unusual for a commercial ambulance company. It shows the dedication to the company these employees have and shows that Empress values it's employees.

Bill Rothschild is one of the longest for sure....who else is left?

The Commander?

Maria of course - "AY Ay Ay!"