Disaster_Guy

YFD Union Creates New Website (Yonkers CFR-D Program)

114 posts in this topic

Here's a link to a News12 video with the Mayor disputing YFD's claims:

http://westchester.news12.com/news/independent-arbitrator-to-hear-yonkers-firefighter-case-1.4397050

Why would firefighters who aren't certified get a $2,500 stipend meant for those who are? YFD responds to only 46% of EMS calls, why not 100%?

And why would the Union run straight to court instead of trying to sit down with the City first to see how they can work together to cut costs and still be responsible to the taxpayers?

Seems like the mayor has some valid points, and states he still supports the FD, just wants to cut the fat and is asking for some cooperation from the union. He also states YFD is going to be hiring a large class of new firefighters at the end of the month.

And how does the first response program affect staffing levels, and why? I don't think I've heard of any other city where the first response program affects staffing.

I don't know for sure, but maybe Yonkers FD is only sent on certain calls based on how EMD codes them

http://westchester.news12.com/news/independent-arbitrator-to-hear-yonkers-firefighter-case-1.4397050

Why would firefighters who aren't certified get a $2,500 stipend meant for those who are? YFD responds to only 46% of EMS calls, why not 100%?

And why would the Union run straight to court instead of trying to sit down with the City first to see how they can work together to cut costs and still be responsible to the taxpayers?

Seems like the mayor has some valid points, and states he still supports the FD, just wants to cut the fat and is asking for some cooperation from the union. He also states YFD is going to be hiring a large class of new firefighters at the end of the month.

And how does the first response program affect staffing levels, and why? I don't think I've heard of any other city where the first response program affects staffing.

1) No-one receives stipend unless they are certified.

2)Yfd does not respond to any police related calls. All calls come in and are screened as to who to send.You can only respond to the calls you are dispatched to. Involved in that 46 % were 84 incidents where YFD used the defib to shock.

3) The union offered arbitration back in Sept..When the city lost confidence ,they put off the arbitration,not 628 .

4)The mayor has no valid points and is making up **** as he goes. He does not support the YFD , actions speak louder than words. If hiring 25 when your short 50 is a large class, OK . The Mayor also states ot has been abused for the last 5 years, hmmm, pretty much when the last Mayor slashed all ranks with demotions and layoffs and filled the the spots with ot .

5)manning clause, yes pretty unique and well thought out and apparently well worded.

CBX4627 and Squad11 like this

1) No-one receives stipend unless they are certified.

2)Yfd does not respond to any police related calls. All calls come in and are screened as to who to send.You can only respond to the calls you are dispatched to. Involved in that 46 % were 84 incidents where YFD used the defib to shock.

3) The union offered arbitration back in Sept..When the city lost confidence ,they put off the arbitration,not 628 .

4)The mayor has no valid points and is making up **** as he goes. He does not support the YFD , actions speak louder than words. If hiring 25 when your short 50 is a large class, OK . The Mayor also states ot has been abused for the last 5 years, hmmm, pretty much when the last Mayor slashed all ranks with demotions and layoffs and filled the the spots with ot .

5)manning clause, yes pretty unique and well thought out and apparently well worded.

Oh God, I have so much to say but I can't because it would be inapproperate! do some research...guy from Poughquag, 70 miles from the action!

What ever happened to the days where all members of emergency service could all get along for the most part? It's us that have to work together in life and death situations. Not mayors or management. Stop falling into the trap. They really don't care about us.

Why on earth should the FD send an engine company to a twisted ankle call or other BLS calls that don't warrant such a response. I have the same issue with sending ALS units on BLS calls.

The union has to run straight to court because the city is not bargaining in good faith, they're making sweeping cuts under the pretense of reform and giving the union no other alternative. What should they do when the city makes draconican cuts?

Oh God, I have so much to say but I can't because it would be inapproperate! do some research...guy from Poughquag, 70 miles from the action!

Maybe he's on the job in Yonkers,....................Just a thought................

SageVigiles and BFD1054 like this

Saw that DOUCHE's interview on News 12 yesterday...............Wanted to vomit, with his smug face..................

Glad I didn't vote for him!

you're right ,what do i know p.s its 55 miles door to door if you must know.

Edited by gss131
SageVigiles likes this

Why on earth should the FD send an engine company to a twisted ankle call or other BLS calls that don't warrant such a response. I have the same issue with sending ALS units on BLS calls.

Well, how does the fire department determine what calls to respond on and what not to respond on? Is it up to a dispatchers discretion, a protocol, or do the YFD Dispatchers have formal training, such as EMD?

Well, how does the fire department determine what calls to respond on and what not to respond on? Is it up to a dispatchers discretion, a protocol, or do the YFD Dispatchers have formal training, such as EMD?

The calls come in to Yonkers dispatch and are sorted out there. A sprained ankle or simple transport will not bring out YFD unless it it is a lift assist. An assault or suspicious injury will also be left to the police side. An unconscious or person down normally will bring all three entities. I can't tell you who does the monitoring of the calls, but I believe it is handled on the police side of dispatch along with Empress. Where is Mason ????

x129K likes this

But what type of questioning do they do to determine that the sprained ankle isn't a result of an assault? Or the simple transport doesn't have more circumstances involved?

So, basically, the fire department only goes to calls in which they think are important, and that is decided on a case-to-case basis with no nationally reconized and proven, industry standard training and protocol, like NAEMD?

If the fire department is so critical to EMS in the City Of Yonkers, then why don't they go to every 9-1-1 EMS call?

I'm interested to see Mason's insight....as he was an Empress Dispatcher before he went to work with YPD.

Edited by N1Medic

I can't say it any clearer for you, the yfd responds to whatever it is dispatched to.The yfd does not weed through whatever calls it wants to.

SageVigiles and N1Medic like this

The way it was explained to me by my buddy in Yonkers dispatch is that YFD will only respond on certain types of medical jobs such as sick calls and diff breathers. They also go on cardiacs and unconcious (inside a premise only). PD on the other hand responds to all trauma jobs (falls, shootings, stabbings, broken bones, anything involving trauma)

Empress responds to them all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that if a certain number of companies are tied up elsewhere, YFD stops responding to EMS jobs period.

But what type of questioning do they do to determine that the sprained ankle isn't a result of an assault? Or the simple transport doesn't have more circumstances involved?

So, basically, the fire department only goes to calls in which they think are important, and that is decided on a case-to-case basis with no nationally reconized and proven, industry standard training and protocol, like NAEMD?

If the fire department is so critical to EMS in the City Of Yonkers, then why don't they go to every 9-1-1 EMS call?

I'm interested to see Mason's insight....as he was an Empress Dispatcher before he went to work with YPD.

If I recall correctly, EMD is done for all Yonkers 911 calls by Empress.

George has been a firefighter in Yonkers longer then some Empress members have been alive. He's seen the whole face of EMS in the City change, and he used to run calls with Yonkers VAC! He's good people, and he's obviously very honest and straightforward. And he lives 55 miles from the city because when he started, someone who was on a fireman's salary couldn't afford to live anywhere near Yonkers. And that has absolutely nothing to do with him, he's dedicated to the city regardless. He's one of the most respected guys on the job today. Give him the respect he deserves, especially since he has insight that most people don't have enough experience to have.

Edited by WHarley3
SageVigiles, Squad11, JM15 and 1 other like this

Easy tiger, no one attacked George, his experience, dedication or credibility. Last I checked we were trying to clear up some questions in regards to protocols and what YFD responds or doesn't respond to.

If you surfaced for air from time to time you'd see that there is no need to defend the guy as no one is going after him. Besides, I'm sure he'd rather speak for himself.

How many of you who have SOO much to say about what goes on in Yonkers actually live in Yonkers? I've been a Yonkers resident for almost 11 years, and I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that I want that engine company down the street from me responding if I call! I have a wife and little boy at home and rest alot easier when i'm at work and know that if my wife has to god forbid call 911, that Engine company is going to be there very quick! I'm tired of some of these posts by people who don't have a dog in this fight!

As a Yonkers resident, and an FDNY Union Delegate, I say I support you Local 628

Keep up the good fight!!!!

redtruck75, JM15, M' Ave and 3 others like this

I have a wife and little boy at home and rest alot easier when i'm at work and know that if my wife has to god forbid call 911, that Engine company is going to be there very quick!

I, too, hope you never have to. However, whether that Engine company goes to the call or not is a crapshoot, as is the training, certification, and medical competency of the members on board. You're also hoping Yonkers FD Dispatchers think that you actually need the Engine Company, and that those Dispatchers don't "forget" to call Empress.

I, too, hope you never have to. However, whether that Engine company goes to the call or not is a crapshoot, as is the training, certification, and medical competency of the members on board. You're also hoping Yonkers FD Dispatchers think that you actually need the Engine Company, and that those Dispatchers don't "forget" to call Empress.

About a week before my son was born last summer, I was on my way home from work one morning. I was driving North on Central Ave. and started feeling extremely lightheaded, nauseous, and dizzy. By the time I parked my car in my parking spot I was blacking out. I barely made it into my door when I practically collapsed on the floor. My wife called 911 imediately and within (it seemed instantaneous) 2 minutes or so, the men from 14 Engine were in my apt. taking care of me.................Can't say the same for Empress...........

And by the way, the Brothers from 14 Engine provided Excellent, Competent care! I can say that because I've also been doing this for a living for almost 12 years, in an Engine company that runs over 4,000 runs per year.

You on the other hand seem to have an axe to grind with the YFD.................Do you live in Yonkers or do you work for Empress? If the answer is no for both, then keep quiet!

Edited by CBX4627
JFLYNN, SageVigiles and M' Ave like this

Do you live in Yonkers or do you work for Empress? If the answer is no for both, then keep quiet!

If you have to live in Yonkers or work for Empress, most of the Members on this board are ineligible to participate in this discussion.

If you have to live in Yonkers or work for Empress, most of the Members on this board are ineligible to participate in this discussion.

Then I guess you're correct.............Cause those are the 2 groups of people that this whole issue affects...............Along with YFD members.............

Edited by CBX4627

Then I guess you're correct.............Cause those are the 2 groups of people that this whole issue affects...............Along with YFD members.............

Well, that totals three. So I trust we'll never see you comment on any topic if it's not directly related to where you work and live?

Well, that totals three. So I trust we'll never see you comment on any topic if it's not directly related to where you work and live?

Correct........take a look at the number of my posts..........I rarely post on things unless they involve me in some way.

Have a safe New Year!

Empress is a union shop (International Association Of EMT's and Paramedics Local 20). I'm suprised that Yonkers FD, having a strong union themselves, would be trashing Empress and threatening the jobs and livelihoods of over 200 people with a company that has served the City Of Yonkers for over 20 years, and is able to provide a large amount of ambulances to the system anytime. While the firefighters recieve very good pay, benefits including a great pension, it's unexplainable why their Union would go after another union where the members of that union don't have nearly the same pay and benefits of YFD members. And while the EMT's and Paramedics are running their butts off covering calls, with down time spent in an ambulance on post, the firefighters have stations they can go back to after they dump patient care on EMS, which then does the meat and potatoes of the work. I didn't think that trashing another union was how they played the game. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

I guess if EMS is 80% of your call volume, if the City paid for more ambulances and flycars dedicated to Yonkers in lieu of an FD first response, that would really bring down their numbers, and that would affect staffing and funding. And they must forget how Empress is a vendor of the City of Yonkers, and part of that is delivering what the customer (City Of Yonkers) wants. Must also forget that, even though they claim "For Profit" ambulance, Empress provides EMS to the City Of Yonkers for FREE, and often sacrifices their transport side of the business so they can provide excellent service to the city. Empress also provides, at mostly their own cost, a full service EMS Special Operations unit, with numerous personel extensively trained and very well equipped to support the fire department in Haz-Mat situations. Empress also provides EMD pre-arrival instructions to callers, which has been proven to be lifesaving. Not to mention how clinically progressive they are, such as being the first EMS service around to use RSI. Also, Empress EMS maintains their headquarters in central Yonkers, pays taxes to the City Of Yonkers, and employs numerous city residents. Their dedication to the City is evident.

I find it disgusting that the website implies that due to the EMS provider, that they are "saving lives everyday". Empress has some of the strongest and most experienced EMS personel out there, and you don't see stories about the good they do, because the fire department usually wants to take all the credit, as evidenced on their new website. The EMS employees are the ones saving lives everyday, as EMS is their full time job. Firefighting is YFD's full time job, and the motives of them trashing EMS is sketchy.

I guess true colors are showing.

Oh, another quick point in response to this post that I just realized has not been made yet....Local 628 nor the UFOA have never "gone after" or "attacked" Empress' union. In fact, it might be perceived to be the other way around. You see, approx. 22 years ago, when YFD began regularly responding to First Responder work, which was not currently being done by anyone except the occasional response of YFD to medical emergencies, or the YPD ESU responing to accidents and injuries, the YFD Administration, and both unions, advocated for more ambulances on the road, documented poor Empress response times and inadequate equipment, all of which bettered the working conditions of Empress members and created additional jobs for Empress employees. YFD also requested and had put in the contract that Empress medics would provide training to our members, thus creating work for them. Now, fast forward 22 years later and IT SEEMS that Empress' union is supporting replacing YFD as first responders with Paramedics in fly cars, thus "going after" local 628 and UFOA work, not to mentionthat this is a notion that anyone involved in the system as a professional should realize will compromise patient care for many reasons. Over the years the idea of YFD taking over ambulance service had been floated by various political leaders, and neither 628 nor UFOA had ever pursued this work.

So, It's hard to try to make the point that the YFD unions are somehow hurting Empress employees of their union or have ever done so.

In any event, just a reminder to all in this great city who respond to any type of emergency- we all have much more in common than we hold as differences- there are no enemies amongst us. Patient care must come first and foremost. So, please everyone on all sides of this contentious and emotional issue- although we may have strong disagreements in certain areas, let's agree to treat one another with respect at all times (especially in the field), and to be honest in our dealings with each other. All of us have a tough and at times, dangerous job that is worthwile and deserving of respect. Let's not demean ourselves or our professions by engaging in pettiness and mean spirited behavior. We are all much better than that.

And of course, please qtip.....

x129K and Squad11 like this

GSS131: Can you cut and paste that manning clause here? I had asked in an earlier post about it, and I would be interested in how exactly it is that cutting the # of folks on duty spells the end of CFR, why and who got that language into the contract and how the other side let it in.

Correct........take a look at the number of my posts..........I rarely post on things unless they involve me in some way.

Have a safe New Year!

Well, luckily we have some pretty knowledgable fire folks on this forum who have a lot of insight, and I hope they don't feel dissuaded from joining the conversation solely because they might not live there. I for one, encourage their contributions (past and future) and hope they continue!

Bnechis, helicopper, x635 and 2 others like this

If I may direct a question to Chief Flynn:

I am curious as why YFD managment has, in my perception anyhow, been so silent on this issue? It seems the Union is carrying the torch, but the folks who run the YFD have not been visible in the media on this issue. I have not seen a statement or release from the YFD on this issue. I do NOT go to Council or budget hearings etc. I have been around long enough to know that the media can only fit so much in a small windown of information, so what I see is for sure NOT the whole picture. But it would seem to me that if Pt care is being threatened, the City Of Yonkers' Fire Department would be there defending it. It is great that the labor organization representing ther YFD members is visible. But again, my own opinion, the public has a so-so view of organized labor unions. I myself OPPOSED Empress becoming Union for that reason. I was an EMS purist and felt opposed to what I felt was the "taint" of a Union. Of course here I am now the Chief Shop steward. Go Figure!

Would not the First Responder program be better defended by the actual Yonkers Fire Department, rather than the Union, who the public MAY perceive as being more interested in self preservation rather than service preservation? I know there is a new Chief there, and he is known for the success of his soft approach, so maybe the silence is deliberate?

Well, luckily we have some pretty knowledgable fire folks on this forum who have a lot of insight, and I hope they don't feel dissuaded from joining the conversation solely because they might not live there. I for one, encourage their contributions (past and future) and hope they continue!

While members frequently suggest that contributions should be limited to those with the proverbial horse in the race, there is no such requirement to do so and EMTBravo encourages all members to contribute positively to the discussion. Note the emphasis on contribute and positively. It's OK to disagree but mudslinging and bashing should be relegated to other venues.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people with a wealth of information that cross jurisdictional and disciplinary "boundaries".

Don't be dissuaded by emotional tirades or venting by other members.

Carry on!

INIT915, x635 and SageVigiles like this