Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
runninguy89

Yonkers FD Hiring Questions For 2013

21 posts in this topic

Don't know if im off topic but I see that some yfd guys do post here so maybe I'll get an answer. I took the 2012 test passed written and physical how long does it take for them to get to a list? How big are classes? I realize a lot of this depends on what happens with budgets but any info would be helpful thanks

Don't know if im off topic but I see that some yfd guys do post here so maybe I'll get an answer. I took the 2012 test passed written and physical how long does it take for them to get to a list? How big are classes? I realize a lot of this depends on what happens with budgets but any info would be helpful thanks
That list is pending, not active yet, should be established "soon"

And yes.....depending on budget.

Edited by R1SmokeEater

I believe the new list will be established in April when the current list expires.

Ok thanks guys just wondering where I stand since I don't have any scores or anything for reference

darock73 likes this

How many were hired off the last list?

How many were hired off the last list?

Not sure yet, there is now a class in the process from that list.

related question for a yfd member who may be able to answer. I passed both, but as far as the agility goes, I did better than what the admins call "competative" on 2 stations, competative on another, and poorly (5 seconds off the pace) on another. How much do you think the poor station will effect my overall?

Not that I have any more insight since we're in the same boat but you have to think that everyone had similar scores because some guys we're great In the strength events and slow in the running events plus some guys we're totally out of shape and obliviously we're not in shape. Also you don't know your written score so that may be the biggest deciding factor

FF1 likes this

Not that I have any more insight since we're in the same boat but you have to think that everyone had similar scores because some guys we're great In the strength events and slow in the running events plus some guys we're totally out of shape and obliviously we're not in shape. Also you don't know your written score so that may be the biggest deciding factor

thank you! feeling a bit more confident, but we will wait to see when the list comes out

Exactly! I've seen guys in the past that aced the physical aspect of the test and write a 82% on the written part which placed them around 118 on the final list. They never got reached. Typically, most if not all of the yfd ff hiring list ive seen or heard in the past 20 yrs lasted for a 4 yr duration. Excluding legal issues, budget issues and politics aside. I've seen lists reach candidates who were ranked in the 60's as well in the low 100's. Most lists typically see two classes hired off of it in the four year duration. Time will tell. Good luck!!

I don't know if anyone scored that low with so many applicants these days I'm sure they cut off around 90 another thing that comes into play is that people drop off in the process or fail a portion ( drug test background check ect) I think about 300 candidates took the physical

The list is out, if you go to the Civil Service Admin rm. 120 City Hall they will show you.

Any word on when they will start canvassing for the next class and what number they are up to?

No talk on next class yet. Yonkers just hired 50 which graduated in Dec. on top of 30 that graduated in June. They reached the mid 50s off of the new list to fill the last class.

Edited by gss131

Thank you for your help sir. I stopped by Civil Service today and got a similar answer.

Exactly! I've seen guys in the past that aced the physical aspect of the test and write a 82% on the written part which placed them around 118 on the final list. They never got reached. Typically, most if not all of the yfd ff hiring list ive seen or heard in the past 20 yrs lasted for a 4 yr duration. Excluding legal issues, budget issues and politics aside. I've seen lists reach candidates who were ranked in the 60's as well in the low 100's. Most lists typically see two classes hired off of it in the four year duration. Time will tell. Good luck!!

Over the last 24 years there have been 4 four year lists, 3 two year lists, and 1 two and a half year list.

Over the last 24 years there have been 4 four year lists, 3 two year lists, and 1 two and a half year list.

Chief, thanks for the info.

Technically NYS civil service law only allows list to be for 1 year with the local civil service commission allowed to extend it in 1 year (or less) increments up to a max of a 4 year list. They can extended at any time (before the test or during the lists life).

Chief, thanks for the info.

Technically NYS civil service law only allows list to be for 1 year with the local civil service commission allowed to extend it in 1 year (or less) increments up to a max of a 4 year list. They can extended at any time (before the test or during the lists life).

Yes Barry but in the case of the two and a half year list the Justice Department trumped NYS Civil Service Law :)

There was also a class hired in 1989 off of two lists- several people were hired from the already expired list and the remainder off of the new list. I was never quite sure how they were able to finagle that, LOL.

Bnechis likes this

The class of 2007 was comprised of a list that was in existence for 5 yrs by court order to get to an individual. I believe that once the individual was reached the new list was put into existence for the remainder of the class.

The class of 2007 was comprised of a list that was in existence for 5 yrs by court order to get to an individual. I believe that once the individual was reached the new list was put into existence for the remainder of the class.

The reason this list was extended was because the Feds determined that normally another class would have been hired off of this list but that class did not initially happen due to a decision to avoid hiring that individual.. I can't prove it but I tend to agree with the Feds on this one.

hey wanted to know if anyone heard of a class starting up soon?