EMT111

Care 1 ALS services suspended

49 posts in this topic

Correct. What would you suggest they do differently? They're trying. I would expect my full time job to be loyal to me in a situation like this, just as they are doing to their full time employees. They can't possibly keep payroll the same as it was before this when the company is bringing in significantly less money. Financially this seems like a logical and fair decision.

I think the question of all questions is what is rumors and what REALLY happened, and could it have happened to any other company? If they are keeping employees on, then they must be either planning to resume operations shortly, has a large rainy day fund, or are awaiting a buyout.

ndpemt519 likes this

So for the past 24+ hours that Care1 has been ALS this thread has been silent! All of these people seemed to "know" so much when this issue started, why is everyone so quiet now?!

EMT348 likes this

The newest rumor mill is that EMStar has purchased the company.

I wish the "new owners" and or "new DBA" the best of luck.

Edited by x1243
effd3918 likes this

The newest rumor mill is that EMStar has purchased the company.

I wish the "new owners" and or "new DBA" the best of luck.

That is correct. Care1 now shares with EMStar a management team that staffs 150 trucks daily and runs well over 100,000 calls a year.

Wonder how much they have spent the last 5 years on re-lettering all their equipment. Maybe they should get velcro, like some EMTs/Paramedics do on their uniforms.

JetPhoto, JM15 and paratrooper75 like this

Wonder how much they have spent the last 5 years on re-lettering all their equipment. Maybe they should get velcro, like some EMTs/Paramedics do on their uniforms.

No doubt...... Cheap signs here too! That and flat white paint by the 55 gallon drum.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/businesscars.aspx?mk=magnetic+vehicle+signs&ad=e&query=magnetic+vehicle+signs&crtv=154956811&psite=mkwid%7c3KPTibZ3&GP=5%2f16%2f2013+11%3a36%3a47+AM&GPS=2839571923&GNF=1

effd3918 likes this

That is correct. Care1 now shares with EMStar a management team that staffs 150 trucks daily and runs well over 100,000 calls a year.

I hope the Empire State Ambulance/Hudson Valley Paramedics/Care 1 EMS reputation changes with the 4th DBA...4th times a charm I guess.

67R93 likes this

At least they leave the ambulettes the same.

Thats the only part of the DBA tree that has not been shut down......

effd3918 likes this

So for the past 24+ hours that Care1 has been ALS this thread has been silent! All of these people seemed to "know" so much when this issue started, why is everyone so quiet now?!

24 whole hours? Wow!

I think the discussion started out so actively because it is VERY unusual for the state to take such definitive action against an agency. In the past 25 years, I can count on one hand the number of times such action was taken. THAT was "news".

Congratulations to them for getting things straightened out and being ALS again.

And if you've spent any time in this forum you know that even the most contentious discussions peter out after time. Big deal.

JetPhoto likes this

24 whole hours? Wow!

I think the discussion started out so actively because it is VERY unusual for the state to take such definitive action against an agency. In the past 25 years, I can count on one hand the number of times such action was taken. THAT was "news".

Congratulations to them for getting things straightened out and being ALS again.

And if you've spent any time in this forum you know that even the most contentious discussions peter out after time. Big deal.

Agreed I guess ESA/HVP/Care 1/EMStar should get a pat on the back for only losing their ALS credentials for a month or so. Best of luck to the new string of managers to peter through the doors.

Edited by effd3918

Is this the same EMStar as in the Philadelphia PA region?

Also I wonder what is really changing? If the company is HQ'ed in Philadelphia area, will they just leave the same local supervisory and management staff in place? Will there be any difference in field operations at all?

Is this the same EMStar as in the Philadelphia PA region?

Also I wonder what is really changing? If the company is HQ'ed in Philadelphia area, will they just leave the same local supervisory and management staff in place? Will there be any difference in field operations at all?

Yes, it is the EMStar in PA that bought out Care1. Some of the local staff (and the Care1 name, for now) will remain the same, but all departments (marketing, HR, QA/QI, etc) will be supplemented with management staff from EMStar. On Monday there were 5 EMStar managers at Care1's Fishkill location, and Mr. Zupnik himself has spent a considerable amount of time there this week as well. Google his name and the company. When he and his partner acquired what is now EMStar in PA, the company was on the verge of bankruptcy, yet now has grown to do over 100,000 calls a year and is making a profit. This is what these guys do.

Yes, I was reading about Focus (the parent company) they seem to be quite involved in technology sector venture capital along with some other things, including nursing homes

His name also appears in business textbooks and is one of the prospective buyers for the Orange County Nursing Home.

Now this leads me to ask, what do the other EMS agencies in the area think of EMStar moving in? Generally venture capitalists like growth not stagnation, so might they eventually try to make a move on one of the other regional commerical services territories?

ndpemt519 likes this

When he and his partner acquired what is now EMStar in PA, the company was on the verge of bankruptcy, yet now has grown to do over 100,000 calls a year and is making a profit. This is what these guys do.

I think I have an idea for a new TV show....instead of house flipping........lol

ndpemt519 and x1243 like this

I think I have an idea for a new TV show....instead of house flipping........lol

hahahahaha....... Or like the Kitchen Nightmares

post-18386-0-64238000-1368802470.jpg

So now that they have their ALS back, are they servicing any of the areas they covered for 911 again, or were those losses a little more than temporary?