Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What's Behind The Black And White Police Car Trend?

19 posts in this topic

It seems like almost every department is switching to black and white cars. Is there something behind this, or is it just an aesthetics fad?

Black and White is usually on most state contract lists for paint, etc. If I'm not mistaken its a "stock" color scheme for most of the police packages out there.

MUDMEDIC likes this

Black and whites are a common color for police cars in the west and are alot eaiser to pick out when someone needs help. Plus with all the taxi companies buying old cop cars its good to differentiate from them. Nothing looks better I think, except maybe the all black and black ghost lettering cars.

markmets415 likes this

Black and White is usually on most state contract lists for paint, etc. If I'm not mistaken its a "stock" color scheme for most of the police packages out there.

I believe he was asking what the history is behind the black and white color scheme and why that is the stock color scheme.

History of the Black & White Police Car.

Black and white is an American slang term for a police car that is painted in large panels of black and white or generally any "marked" police car. Historically, this scheme was much favored by North American police forces because it allowed the unambiguous recognition of patrol units from a significant distance. However, as the color scheme is not standardized, each police agency in the U.S. and Canada can choose their own color scheme. The most common variant of the black and white color scheme is white roof and four white doors, the second most common is white roof and only the two front doors. In Sweden, the black and white police cars had black roofs to make them visible in high snow.

Taken in text from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_white_%28police_vehicle%29

markmets415 likes this

That's correct. In NC anyway black and white and solid white are your stock choices. Other colors will cost you more. The black and white are available in different schemes. Not the most popular but in my opinion the almost all black with a couple of whites doors looks nice. I believe there are a few CA agencies that run them. You probably have to see it to appreciate it.

I believe there are a few CA agencies that run them. You probably have to see it to appreciate it.

Most agencies in CA operate black and whites. Even the sheriff departments.

Very sharp and very easily recognized. LAPD even started painting their helicopters in the same black and white color scheme because they want a standard fleet.

It's a free option on the state contract and that's the main and only reason why you are seeing this more and more right now

All the local PD's up here have the same State bid standard B&W cars, just personalized with town decals.

I think B&W also helps increase vehicle visibility.

Retro, maybe bell-bottoms will be coming back soon too

Because cop cars were designed by GOD to be black and white or all black only. LMAO but really any other color including the nys police blue which they have had for thirty plus years looks bad. The state police should go retro as in black and white any by the way who was the loon who designed the state police stop sign tin shield only in backwards ass NY could anyone say hey a stop sign looks good as a police shield. I'd like to know which liberal came up with that.

According to a few guys i asked, theyre basing it off a study that a black police car makes it seem as if there are more police on the road than it seems....cant seem to find a reference online.

Up until a few years ago, the B/W paint scheme cost extra, many department did not want to part the extra bucks. But now, it cost nothing extra. It is now cost effective to go with tradition and what is popular and look good.

Edited by 10512

If it is cheaper which I am sure it is...why does WESTCHESTER COUNTY have to have metallic blue, white and orange...must cost a pretty penny for the three color scheme

I noticed Port Chester now has black and white. Looks good. For long time in sound shore area larchmont and Rye were only ones. Now you have Port Cheater, Rye, Harrison, Village Mamaroneck, Larchmont.

Is there something behind this, or is it just an aesthetics fad?

Hollywood

Stench60 likes this

If it is cheaper which I am sure it is...why does WESTCHESTER COUNTY have to have metallic blue, white and orange...must cost a pretty penny for the three color scheme

Your tax dollars at work!

LOL