Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Bridgeport Train Derailment discussion

12 posts in this topic

Here is a link to Railroad.net discussion: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=150096&sid=7a014b0f2e8941ad42f048c29b6e30df

there are links to photos taken at the scene posted to Twitter. Lots of damage to the trains involved.

Article in the Stamford Advocate with photos: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Two-trains-collide-in-Fairfield-4526690.php#photo-4645167

Edited by grumpyff
x635 likes this

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all those injured.

This is another "this can't happen here" type of events that we drill for yet rarely see. Especially with two brand new M-8 trains. I'm going to be interested to see if it's the tracks, trains, or operators that are at fault. When I ride the train and another MN train passes at a high speed with only inches to spare, I always wondered how there aren't more collisions.

Gonna be an expensive, international incident for Metro North.

I have seen a couple of photos of the interior of the one car with a piece missing. some of the seating was ripped from the floor, and interior pieces if the walls/ceiling had fallen. Lots of spaces to search

A YouTube clip taken moments after the train collision in Bridgeport shows the immediate aftermath of the crash. It was posted by a teenager who says he and his friends saw the crash from the Rampage skateshop near the accident.

WARNING: The video features raw footage at the time of the crash and lots of explicit language.

http://blog.ctnews.com/connecticutpostings/2013/05/19/nsfw-video-shows-immediate-aftermath-of-the-train-crash/

grumpyff likes this

Governor Malloy will be providing an update this afternoon on the state of the rail system. Going to be a helluva day for commuters tomorrow.

My professional advice if you live in Southern CT and are trying to get to NYC tomorrow? Fugggetaboutit.

Edited by SageVigiles

Governor Malloy will be providing an update this afternoon on the state of the rail system. Going to be a helluva day for commuters tomorrow.

My professional advice if you live in Southern CT and are trying to get to NYC tomorrow? Fugggetaboutit.

New Haven Line tix will be honored on the Harlem Line

http://www.lohud.com/viewart/20130519/NEWS/305190040/Conn-train-outage-expected-days-New-Haven-Line-tickets-honored-Harlem-Line

Glad to see any of the kids in the video call 911. Society is screwed...

Government officials and straphanger advocates warned of "carmageddon" and "controlled chaos" as thousands of rail commuters take to the roads Monday morning in the aftermath of a Metro-North rail collision in Bridgeport, Conn., that sent 72 people to the hospital.

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/metro-north-train-crash-carmageddon-chaos-predicted-for-monday-commute-1.5292727

A neighbor of my fathers told me today that he doesn't see that stretch open until at least Wednesday. He works for the metro north line maintenance division and they still have no idea how badly the rails and ties are damaged and don't know if the rails shifted and if they did how far down they shifted.

From the CT post

FAIRFIELD --Round-the-clock crews in Fairfield have removed the all the train cars involved in Friday's collision, righting the toppled cars and coupling them to an engine bound for a repair yard in New Haven.

Train service is expected to be curtailed until "well into next week," said Adam Lisberg, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman. He declined to comment on the investigation into the cause of the accident, deferring all questions to the National Transportation Safety Board.

Officials will now turn their attention to replacing nearly 2,000 feet of damaged tracks.

"Our crews will essentially be rebuilding two thousand feet of damaged track, and overhead wires and signal system," Metro-North Railroad president Howard Permut said in a news release. "This amounts to the wholesale reconstruction of a two-track electrified railroad. It will take multiple days of around-the-clock work to that, and than to inspect, test and requalify the newly rebuilt infrastructure. Unfortunately, service disruptions on this section of the New Haven Line are expected to continue well into the coming week."

On Sunday, an engine slowly pulled away from the scene of the crash, with the three remaining three train cars in tow. One of the cars had been partly disemboweled by the collision; a ratchet strap was stretched firmly along one of its walls to hold it in place.

State transportation officials announced that they will unveil a "service plan" that will include bus service for the 15,000 to 20,000 passengers who ride "between New Haven and Bridgeport, and between Bridgeport to points west of the site of the derailment."

"Substantial work remains to be done at the site of Friday's train derailment in Bridgeport. The NTSB continues its investigation and there is extensive work to be done on the tracks and overhead wires that supply power to New Haven Line trains," state Department of Transportation officials said in a news release.