PC_420

Westchester Dispatcher Test June 1st - Have The Results Been Mailed Yet

42 posts in this topic

Interviews were held this week for 60 Control. I am told we are hiring five. Good luck to all.

x635, CM36 and x4093k like this

Chief

If I am not mistaken the chosen candidates have months of training ahead of them before you can see if they can cut it

They should hire people who want to be dispatchers not someone waiting to get hired by PD or FDs

EJS1810 likes this

They should hire people who want to be dispatchers not someone waiting to get hired by PD or FDs

I absolutely agree.

I think that there are people that want to be dispatchers, and who would stay longer, but that's a difficult career choice. Dispatchers are second guessed, badmouthed, disrespected, overworked, underpaid, and in the case of 60 Control, work in a cramped, obsolete facility. Burnout is very high in dispatching, and health is a challenge when you have to sit for 12 or more hours at a time. There's also not a lot of opportunities afforded to dispatchers to advance their careers in many agencies, and it doesn't have to be that way.

But there's a big part of me looking back at things wishing that I never left 60 Control. Dispatching is a challenging and rewarding career underneath everything else. Extreme multitasking and making things happen is pretty fun, and at 60, the camaraderie was great. But the grass is always greener on the other side, and so I went. I do wish I could return, but have to go through the whole civil service process again.....

John107 likes this

Civil service prevents you from hiring the best candidate just because you score high doesn't mean your the best

I know people who score high who couldn't get through the training

John107 likes this

Many people get the job as a dispatcher and use it as a stepping stone. They then end up going to the FD,PD or even Corrections.

Depending on where you go the job varies. The hours are long but there is a lot of time off as well. And again as touched upon earlier

the pay that they give us is not enough for what we have to do.

Totally understand for a stepping stone, but there are people on the list who just want to be dispatchers and never get the chance

The system just doesn't work

So what would be a better system?

Let agencies hire whoever they wanted based off of resumes and interviews. That sounds good, until you consider that without some kind of objective system, the agencies criteria for hiring will be:

1. Last Name

2. Financial Contributions to elected officals

3. Number of times your father has golfed with the (mayor, chief, councilman etc)

Look at New Jersey's "chief's towns" (police departments that don't use civil service), they are filled with cases where experienced police officers, veterans, etc were passed over for the 18 year old son of the mayor or councilman

Edited by v85
bruce likes this

So what would be a better system?

Let agencies hire whoever they wanted based off of resumes and interviews. That sounds good, until you consider that without some kind of objective system, the agencies criteria for hiring will be:

1. Last Name

2. Financial Contributions to elected officals

3. Number of times your father has golfed with the (mayor, chief, councilman etc)

Look at New Jersey's "chief's towns" (police departments that don't use civil service), they are filled with cases where experienced police officers, veterans, etc were passed over for the 18 year old son of the mayor or councilman

thats true.

I heard that 60 Control hired 5

Same rumor we've heard... We'll know when someone new walks in I guess...

x635 and 87D124 like this

I personally know 2 of the guys who got hired. They start the week of the 11th.