Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Could EMTBravo Bring Back The Kensico Dam Muster?

33 posts in this topic

Could EMTBravo bring the Kensico Dam muster back to life?

I'd really like to bring the muster back, but I would need some help in bringing it to life. I would like to aim for September. And I would need people to post on this thread that would be interested in attending this event.

I'm thinking of the following:

-Antique and modern fire apparatus display

-Draft and pump antique pumpers

-Marketplace where vendors could sell firematic related items

-Chili Cookoff to benefit the burn center at WMC

-Concert

-Smokehouse and fire prevention activites for the kids

-Ambulances and Police vehicles welcomed to display

-Firematic competion events

Any fees collected could cover whatever costs incurred in running the event, including the liabilty insurance and whatever other costs associated with this. I'd also need several people to help with organizing this event and making it happen. And, of course, to run the event. If you are interested, PM me.

FDNY 10-75 and EmsFirePolice like this

The Fairchester Hose Haulers will be proud!!

Is there a SPAAMFA chapter in the Hudson Valley that you could use to sponsor it?

also a question of where? I believe County runs Kensico Dam specifically

Obviously a bit difficult for me to give any practical help from Afghan at the moment, but as soon as I am able I would love to be a part of bringing this institution back to Kensico.

The county would not allow any apparatus on the apron of the dam so there was no way to draft any water from the basin.

EmsFirePolice likes this

They also do not fill the basin any more. I haven't seen water in it in a while. The Westchester Parks Dept run the Kensico Park. I would give them a call to see what could be done/allowed etc.... I think that it is a fantastic idea! Also, Kensico is a great location in that The Rising the Westchester Co. 9/11 memorial is located there.

markmets415 likes this

We were having it at Croton point park. Find out if Fairchester hose haulers still exists and also SPAAMFAA. Also you can try to contact A/C Warren Lyon from Pelham, NY. He could answer your questions.

Fairchester Hose Haulers are long gone as a group, but there are some past members floating around.

If the County parks don't work, does any FD have fairground we could use? Or a town park we could get permission from? If we don't have a drafting body of water, maybe we could use a couple of those portable drafting ponds?

I want to make this happen, I'm thinking September or early October may be a good date. Should I organize a comittee of EMTBravo members to get this off the ground?

I think we could do this. It's going to take money, support, a lot of interest and members promoting this. If not Kensico some place close. Flow water would be nice but not the end of the world.

We will chat more Seth.

Fairchester Hose Haulers are long gone as a group, but there are some past members floating around.

Who's floating around ? get that Howe!

PCFD ENG58, would you be willing to bring your rig? And maybe ask a couple of friends? dc2t, can you bring the Ahrens-Fox? TJK183, could you bring "Old Betsy". Cutty, could you bring BHFD's antique? The list goes on and on....if you can bring an antique from a Westchester, please let me know as soon as possible. Antiques that can flow water are even better!

We have to flow water or it's not a muster.

As far as affiliating SPAAMFA, do we have a member on this forum that is a member of SPAAMFA that could act as a liaison?. Is the Fairchester Hose Haulers name available for use? Can we revive it, or do we have the right to do so? It would be nice to call it the EMTBravo Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster & Emergency Services Celebration. I'd like to hear from the EMTBravo members suggestions for naming this event.

I also need members to look at locations, ideally in central Westchester (with the exception of Croton Point Park). Is there any member good with dealing with the county parks and rec? Or other large parking lots or fields?

We have a ton to do. But I'm excited about the potential of this event! With members help, we can make this happen!

NOTE: I will be making a forum specifically for this event when I get back from D.C. Monday.

Who's floating around ? get that Howe!

Yes Ang, I got it. We hosted one of the most successfull SPAAMFAA winter Convention & Musters in Jacksonville, Fl. in Feb. Video on FABB's facebook.

markmets415 likes this

I can check to see if we can get our Seagrave there as well, great idea, There was a cover from firehouse magazine of the Dam with the Gail Borden hose cart there, Mr. Borden's first successful condensed milk factory was in Wassaic which is now the Pawling Corporation.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20121230/LIFE10/312300060/Picture-Past-12-30

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/condensed_milk_bordens_eagle_brand/

One thing to seriously consider is to make sure where ever you decide to try and host the event that it is not some sort of protected watershed. I know it's getting harder lately for some if these events to be hosted because of all the regulations local DEP have.

Would be a cool thing to do if it does get off the ground but it needs a lot of planning and up front costs.

Even if it couldn't be don say this year, getting everything ready for next year would obviously get everything in line for it.

Edited by IzzyEng4

found this online

post-16297-0-82582600-1369502878.jpg

RICHEB126 likes this

Great idea the biggest things are location and funding, why not start up some fundraisers to help with this perhaps do an emtbravo 50/50 raffle it's parade season great place to sell tickets at a bullpen after or find a firehouse that will let you host a pasta dinner or pancake breakfast to support the Emtbravo muster and maybe form a committee and take a ride to Milford muster and get ideas I'd be happy to help anyway I can Rob has my number Jeff / Brewster

I feel like the up front costs will be huge.. think about insurance alone

As a Past President and a Chairman of the Fairchester Hose Hauler's Muster at Croton Point Park, I would like to offer the following advice for thought:

If you are considering a County Park site (Kensico, etc.) or any site for that matter then it is important that the first Muster be as successful as possible in order to keep the host and attendees enthusiastic and locked in for the future. That being said, I would strongly recommend that the commitee focus on a date for next year. A successful muster takes a lot of logistics planning, equipment and people and cannot be just thrown together by a handful of people in a short time. You want to come into it with your "A" game and plan, thoroughly publicize and execute a memorable event that will make everyone want more.

The Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster was nationally known because it was put on by a group of hard working, dedicated individuals who focused on maintaining high standards that did not erode over time. The only reason it ended was because some members of the core group moved away, others wanted a break and there was no "young blood" willing to do the hard work.

Alan M.

Past President

Fairchester Hose Haulers Association

PEMO3, grumpyff, x635 and 5 others like this

Well stated Al, in addition, it was difficult to deal with the demands and restrictions of the Westchester County Parks Dept.including parking fees and logistics.

Being a SPAAMFAA Chapter has great benefits including muster guidelines, insurance coverage and advertising the event.

As a Past President and a Chairman of the Fairchester Hose Hauler's Muster at Croton Point Park, I would like to offer the following advice for thought:

If you are considering a County Park site (Kensico, etc.) or any site for that matter then it is important that the first Muster be as successful as possible in order to keep the host and attendees enthusiastic and locked in for the future. That being said, I would strongly recommend that the commitee focus on a date for next year. A successful muster takes a lot of logistics planning, equipment and people and cannot be just thrown together by a handful of people in a short time. You want to come into it with your "A" game and plan, thoroughly publicize and execute a memorable event that will make everyone want more.

The Fairchester Hose Haulers Muster was nationally known because it was put on by a group of hard working, dedicated individuals who focused on maintaining high standards that did not erode over time. The only reason it ended was because some members of the core group moved away, others wanted a break and there was no "young blood" willing to do the hard work.

Alan M.

Past President

Fairchester Hose Haulers Association

How about the parking lot at Playland for a sight, it would be good b/c it is easy to get to from I95.

seth, this sure does sound like an awesome idea! id be more then willing to help out. however working weekends doesnt allow me. if spreading the word is what you need then i sure as heck and do my best.

stay safe all

Ken

JP59 likes this

It can't be held in Playlands parking lot. It has to be held in warm weather and Playland would be open. Also there is no place to draft water and I believe it is salt water. When we couldn't have it at Kensico we had it at Croton Point park. What is wrong with Croton Point? It does take a long time to get it together. Rigs came from all over the country.

Edited by ttomcap

Isn't the water at Croton Point salt as well? As far as I know the "river" is salt or brackish well past Poughkeepsie. I don't see the salinity making a huge difference. As to the parking lot at Playland, very simple do it prior to, or after the park season, I'm sure the county would love to have something down there that they can make a few dollars at a minimal cost to them.

It might be a little late to get this off the ground for this year, but if you start planning and getting the word out now for next year you'd have the possibility of a bang up event. The only caution I would have is not to be disappointed by your first event, you'd be new, you'll have to build and build and it might take a few years to reach anything near what it used to be. You'd be wise to affiliate with SPAAMFFA in some way as that would give you access to a huge target audience that you'd absolutely need, the antique rig owners and antique vendors.

Seth, great idea, I just wish my own plate weren't so full. But that being said, I'll try and help as best I am able.

Isn't the water at Croton Point salt as well? As far as I know the "river" is salt or brackish well past Poughkeepsie. I don't see the salinity making a huge difference.

The Chelse Pump station is south of Poughkeepsie and NYC uses it to draw Hudson River Water into the drinking supply when the reseviours are low. I have been told its fresh at that point.

I also do not see it as a problem, However Long Island sound is much saltier, and If I owned an old pumper I would prefer not to expose it to that much salt.

I think we got support covered. Thanks guys. I agree next year would best. Now to find a good location, funds, fire apparatus owners and FD's that would attend. This is a great opportunity for EMTBravo and maybe Westchester County Parks or another choice.

The Harrisburg muster is coming up July 13th. It is a good time and you can see what logistics are needed for running a muster.

kingsferry, thanks for your insight, as well as to all.

I've been to numerous musters over the past 20 years I've been involved in the fire service, including Milford, Kensico, Croton Point, Los Angeles, Texas, and others. I learned a great deal by attending and participating in these events. One of the other reasons that I think killed a lot of musters is the internet. Instead of having swap meets or vendors, Ebay and E-commerce have replaced that. Another main reason is that there tends to be a mentality of why things can't happen, instead of the mentality that it can happen.

I think it's very important to preserve the heritage of the fire service. A great deal can be learned about the things that we do and why. The heritage of the fire service, and how "easy" we have it now, can't really be appreciated until you see it. And I want to specifically focus on the heritage of the fire service in the Hudson Valley. There is a lot of talk about tradition and how it is negative, this is one that I think would be a positive.

This can happen. There are a lot of obstacles, but there are many ways to overcome them. I'm sure we could get sponsors, as I've already been contacted by a few. And if departments can make parades, car shows, and carnivals happen, then the collective power of the membership of this forum can make it happen.

AND, I'd like to include EMS and PD in these events as well. There are a lot of people with vintage EMS and PD vehicles, and we should include them to make this not only a firematic, but an emergency services muster.

FDNY 10-75, 38ff and AFS1970 like this