Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babhits16

Paramedic/ EMT and Pacemakers

5 posts in this topic

If one (I) had a Pacemaker, could they still gain employment as a paramedic?

Whether its FDNY, Empress, private, fire dept etc. I've had heart disease all my life and the doctors thought it was a 'safe' idea to put it in, due to medication changes that happened a while back. I've been riding EMS as an EMT for several years as a volunteer and never had an issue. Could it prevent me from gaining actual employment? Even with a doctors notes saying its ok? Thanks in advance.

I can't see why not but the only trouble you might have is at FDNY. They do have a physical training part of the classes

Depending on the agency you might not have a problem getting by the privates. I never had to do a physical when empress hired me. FDNY will definitely be more of a challange to get hired. The issue will obviously come up during your medical and in all likelihood you will have to see their cardiologist. As was mentioned there is daily physical training in the academy, you have to run a mile and a half, and be able to do push ups sit ups and calisthenics. There is also training that you will do in the ppe that you are issued, we had to run around in ours as a punishment at one point. Hope that helps.

I can do all that!

The FDNY exists in a vacuum. Regardless of what the very best cardiologist says, you are often at the behest of the department doctors. You would have to start the hiring process to find out anything for sure, but they would undoubtedly make you go to the department doctors for clearance (again, regardless of whatever your personal physicians say). My personal experience (via family) is that they are not in the business of taking chances with cardiac disease.

As far as the privates are concerned - few require physical exams (probably not a good thing) or ask much, if anything, about history. A number of not - for - profits in the southern New England area require stress tests or an EMS focused physical agility exam. That said, if you look down south or out west, EMS is far more organized (and generally more "legitimate" or respected / well compensated / etc) and getting on requires a whole series of steps - including a physical agility and health screening.

It seems like you're adequately involved in taking care of yourself and are on top of whatever conditions you may have. That is really a great thing (at least from my perspective, given how many people i take care of that are not involved in properly managing themselves), and my only advice to you - regardless of which way you choose to go - is not to lose that. Aside from taking care of yourself (you've got that licked already!), just be honest during whatever application process you go through and go through with whatever they want.

All of that said - just make sure you know that EMS in this area is not a great job. While it is rewarding at times, the compensation (salary and benefits) hugs the poverty line, and you will often be forgotten / overlooked / and taken for granted.

Best of luck.

Edited by Goose