Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ptwatson

Mount Vernon Station 3

9 posts in this topic

News 12 reporting that Mt. Vernon station 3 has no air conditioning in three years. That there is a bug and rodent problem, that half of the bay doors do not open and, that after numerous complaints by the members, nothing has been done. How can City Hall let the members literally sweat it out and not have a properly functioning fire station? Anyone have more to the story?

Edited by ptwatson

Disgusting.... I bet the politticians are nice and comfortable in their offices, and when they go home. But I guess the firefighters are on the bottom of the list.It's just totally uncalled for. Would the higher UPS put up with such conditions? I. Don't think so.

According to News 12, repairs are now being done.

MOUNT VERNON - Repairs are now being done to Mount Vernon Fire Department's Station 3 following a News 12 Westchester report.

The station now has working air conditioning after suffering through three summers without it. Crews were also sent to fix five of eight garage doors that wouldn't open.

http://westchester.news12.com/news/repairs-being-made-to-mount-vernon-fire-department-s-station-3-after-news-12-report-1.5567535

It appears that a number of Mount Vernon departments are "slow" to react to issues within their respective departments. Look at the DPW and now the Fire Department (and both ties back into the Mayors Office). Hmmmm

x4093k likes this

It appears that a number of Mount Vernon departments are "slow" to react to issues within their respective departments. Look at the DPW and now the Fire Department (and both ties back into the Mayors Office). Hmmmm

Exactly! B)

I thought Mount Vernon was doing good there for a while.

As far as the City sending crews to fix the problems, what they say to the press they are going to do is not always what they are going to actually do. And they won't send in an experienced HVAC company either, it will be some guy from the city with no training I bet.

The cheapest thing to do right now, IMO, is to knock down all the firehouses and build new ones, instead of paying to put band-aids on problems that are just going to get worse;

Once the fire fighters refuse to go into the building, citing health and safety issues, you'll get action by the city; if they continue to enter the building for each shift, grumbling about the conditions, nothing is going to change.

What happened to the good old days within FDMV, when you had Fire Houses that were kept up to date and functional, apparatus were up to date and ample functional spares were available (ie: 1960 and Early 1970's when you had Engine 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6, Snorkel 1, Ladder 2, Ladder 3, & Ladder 4, Rescue 1, and Foam 1) and both a Paid/Professional Staff supplimented by a Volunteer Staff (who did allot of work at the various stations on their own time and in many cases on their own dime). Ah, to have those great days gone by to return !!!

ptwatson and WCFCX613 like this

Mount Vernon FD is a good bunch of guys who get the job done (with minimal staffing)

I have a lot of respect for FDMV.

It's a shame it takes NEWS12 showing up to get the CITY to do something about

the horrible conditions.

This didn't happen last week. It's been years. C'mon City Hall stop the BS with

the Fire Department. They deserve better.