38ff

Rescue truck front bumpers

38 posts in this topic

All,

Im looking for pictures of rescue trucks front bumpers that contain Hurst type tools to get some ideas on how to spec one. I was told you cant put 2 reels with 2 preconnected tools AND a preconnected 100 foot trashline in a front bumper. Anyone have any pics of their rigs they want to share so we can get some ideas?

Edited by 38ff
x635 likes this

Can't remember where this one is from, but it is a 2007 Spartan/Crimson that was shown at the 2007 New England Chief's show. The bumper hydraulically tilts for easier access.

post-11-0-82453800-1374673753.jpg

markmets415, 38ff and JetPhoto like this

R 38-60 is 19 years old, and things are starting to nickle and dime us to death. We are in the VERY VERY early stages of looking to see whats out there and what it could be replaced with in the next few years.

R 38-60 is 19 years old, and things are starting to nickle and dime us to death. We are in the VERY VERY early stages of looking to see whats out there and what it could be replaced with in the next few years.

Wow, I feel incredibly old. I remember going to the christening at First Presbyterian for that truck...

Mohegan FD Engine 258 (2001 KME) has a preconnected Hurst combo tool and preconnected electric cord reel with battery/electric combo Dewalt sawz all plus mounted halligan on the front bumper. Mohegan FD Engine 252 (2010 KME) has a preconnected Hurst cutter and a preconnected Hurst combi tool mounted on the front bumper

Can you post up some pics, CG?

Have a question and maybe someone could provide some insight. While I can see the clear advantage in a front mounted, pre-connected Hurst tool set aren't they susceptible to road dirt and salt especially in the Northern East? Does this type of road grime hinder their smooth operation as opposed to being placed in a side roll up door compartment and possibly a "pass thru" compartment with access to the pre-connected tools from both sides of the rig on a pull out tray? Love the idea of the front mount especially with the hydro-tilt but just a concern that hit me in looking at the rig pictured.

All the ones I have seen are covered with a "diamond plate cover" well sealed against the elements. But it is a good point. That tilt bumper rig looks impressive, but is a bit much for my needs. Im thinking a cutter and a spreaders both preconnected to reels and 100 feet of 1.75 hose with nozzle. 100 feet or so of electric cord on a reel would be cool and nice to have, but not a need. The need is the 2 tools and 100 feet of line.

Can't remember where this one is from, but it is a 2007 Spartan/Crimson that was shown at the 2007 New England Chief's show. The bumper hydraulically tilts for easier access.

attachicon.gifTiltMonster2.jpg

As noted it's the "Battenburg Beast" from Hubbardston, MA. IIRC the tilt option was thrown in as a "show special" by Crimson and not specced by the FD.

As noted it's the "Battenburg Beast" from Hubbardston, MA. IIRC the tilt option was thrown in as a "show special" by Crimson and not specced by the FD.

And rumor has it that because of the tilt it was out of service more than in.

Tough to justify an additional $30,000 for that feature.

x129K likes this

While I can see the clear advantage in a front mounted, pre-connected Hurst tool set aren't they susceptible to road dirt and salt especially in the Northern East? Does this type of road grime hinder their smooth operation as opposed to being placed in a side roll up door compartment

All the ones I have seen are covered with a "diamond plate cover" well sealed against the elements. But it is a good point. Im thinking a cutter and a spreaders both preconnected to reels and 100 feet of 1.75 hose with nozzle. 100 feet or so of electric cord on a reel would be cool and nice to have, but not a need. The need is the 2 tools and 100 feet of line.

They are sealed underneath (which is where most of the grime is coming from and with a good cover they stay clean. In fact there is less road spray there than in the side compartments.

post-4072-0-16617800-1374688007.jpg

One thing to keep in mind, the longer bumper decreases your angle of attack (causing you to bottom out on bumps or hills and you may be limited to 60' hose on your reels because of that. also depending on the power source and where it is located you could use up 30+ feet of "hose" in the truck body.

x635 likes this

good point, Sir. If Im already 30 feet infront of the truck as opposed to the rear where I had 100 previosuly, I dont need that extra 30 feet.... I still need 100 feet of 1.75 hose. Thats not debateable..

A few others:

post-4072-0-12884900-1374688567.jpg

post-4072-0-33486500-1374688610.jpg

post-4072-0-51592800-1374688667.jpg

post-4072-0-28365700-1374688817.jpg

post-4072-0-39242300-1374688895.jpg

post-4072-0-66758900-1374688962.jpg

post-4072-0-40289700-1374689021.jpg

I have seen a few that got 2 reels and 100' trashline, but most do not have the space.

x635 and x129K like this

Cairo,NY's Rescue has a foam system hose and Holmatro tools in it

From my limited experience with these set ups, I have found two things: the hose going from the Power unit to the reel gets damaged and the entire trucks needs to be disassembled to fix it or it doesn't have enough power to overcome the extra 30' of friction loss. Or, in the event of a front end collision, much more equipment is damaged than a simple bumper.

bad box, x635 and Bnechis like this

I don't have a picture but look at Hicksville FD's Rescue 8.

I really like the new Holmatro core system. Pump is in the back somewhere, and its pre piped anywhere you want on the truck. Saves on having to install reels. Grab your tool and hose, plug in and go to work.

Not a big fan of multiple reels connected to power unit's. Duo's, Trimo's and multiple tool PTO pumps all sound like a great concept, but remember when that PTO generator malfunctions so does your electric hydraulic power unit's? When a malfunction of your (multiple tool) electric or gas power unit's fail so do your tools? What about hydraulic fittings and hoses that also fail leading to your reels? Hydraulic reel motors and reel seals that can leak?

Now for the down side. Systems that fail on scene putting your multiple tool operation out of service. 100' maximum usage away from the vehicle. 3. Being blocked out of the scene by multiple crash vehicles spaced apart from each other. Being blocked out by civilian, PD, ambulances or other FD apparatus arriving prior to the rescue unit. Multiple vehicle's requiring extrication that are far apart. Apparatus out of service for day's awaiting repair for those hydraulic issue's. Hourly repair charges $ for a technician to crawling and squeezing into those tight spaces to make repairs. We all cram 10 pound of s--- into a 5 pound bag. Just some of the issue's.

Now the plus side. 1 tool with 25' of hose pre-connected to a single or Duo portable unit. Can be carried to any location by one rescue tech. Can be moved from one vehicle to another that are separated by large distance's. Multiple tools required for industrial rescue's. Parking deck operations. Motor fails or hose ruptures that can be replaced or swapped on scene. Multiple power unit's, single or Duo can be stored with pre-connected tools on multiple sides of the rescue unit's. Hydraulic motor needs repair, rescue is still in service. Hourly repair cost's are reduced. For the cost of building such a large bumper, reel fitting, tool mounting and additional hoses running thru the vehicle to the pumps and special pump mountings. You can purchase more tools and power unit's thus providing more bang for the buck. Just some of the plus sides.

The truck gets you there. The tools get the job done.

Just as Meat441 noted above we found that we could have more redundancy for less money and less concerns by utilizing two portable power packs than if we went with our original plan of multiple "plug and play" locations. Utilizing the Holmatro CORE system one FF can easily carry one tool, the hose and a power pack to any location. The power packs can run two tools at a time. We run two power packs, 6 various length hoses, spread cutter, and rams all for much less than the onboard system alone to which we'd still need a portable unit for in the woods or industrial accidents (of which we've done both since the new unit went in service a few years ago).

I will add that we also have a portable Hurst/Honda power unit that would also be on the truck as a back up unit. Putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

come to Garrison - 1616 Rt 9 on a Sunday between 9 - 11 am - 15-61 has two tools on reels . Front bumper way to go - just don't get fog lights or anything that hangs down or you will be removing when you drive around your district.

your best bet i would say go to like Hughsonville, Rombout or Roosevelt they all have big Rescues Hughsonville is laid out very nice with reels on the bumper and the rear with tools mounted to the bumper but im not sure your going to get 2 tools 2 reels and a hose line on the bumper it would have to be really deep but why are u adding the line to the rescue if the one now does not have water u going to try and not run 20 on mva's anymore and just 1 pice

On our Marion Heavy Rescue, we have 2 100' reels for our Amkus tools. We keep a Combi-Tool pre-connected. There is also a 300' electric reel with a pre-connected sawzall. We have a rear roll up in which we keep our gas unit, heavy duty spreaders, cutters, and rams. The setup works well. http://www.marionbody.com/products/finals/combo/CopakeCombo2010/index.html

As I stated before, R-38-60 is getting up there in age, and starting to have increased maintenance costs. How our response to MVA's with a rescue pumper would change is being considered. We do pull the jumplines for MVA's for fire suppression. I have seen a few bumpers with 2 tools, 2 reels, and a jump line. If I can figure out how to post it here, I will.

As I stated before, R-38-60 is getting up there in age, and starting to have increased maintenance costs. How our response to MVA's with a rescue pumper would change is being considered. We do pull the jumplines for MVA's for fire suppression. I have seen a few bumpers with 2 tools, 2 reels, and a jump line. If I can figure out how to post it here, I will.

post-4072-0-37948100-1374799131.jpg

Like this? :P

38ff likes this

Just my opinion, but what's the real advantage to having the tools preconnected? How much time is saved, and do we really step off the truck and start working tools immediately? We used to do that pre-air bags, SRS and ROPS, now we tend to get off, secure the power, ensure the vehicle is stable and sizing up the "job". Maybe a lot of you are arriving after other first due units and can get right to work, but we've found that we now take a more methodical approach, exposing what's to be cut and ensuring that we're working in concert with the EMS provider in charge of the patient(s).

Bnechis and velcroMedic1987 like this

Yes, exactly like that, Bnechis!

As for having tools preconnected, why not? We have pre connected handlines, lights, etc.. Why waste time making connections in the dark/rain/snow/under pressure when there are other things to do like stabilize the vehicle and check for other hazards? No one is saying jump off the rig and start cutting before doing a 360 and making a plan, but when that has been done, I see no reason to waste time doing things like making connections that could of already be done before you left the station.

All,

Im looking for pictures of rescue trucks front bumpers that contain Hurst type tools to get some ideas on how to spec one. I was told you cant put 2 reels with 2 preconnected tools AND a preconnected 100 foot trashline in a front bumper. Anyone have any pics of their rigs they want to share so we can get some ideas?

the fire department i used to belong to----new hackensack-- has a heavy rescue with front mounted hurst tools in the bumper with pre connect hydo for each tool--1 combi tool 1 o-cutter