Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Westchester

Tappan Zee Bridge Wrong Way Driver

6 posts in this topic

Dear God Again! How many more wrong way drivers do we need to see take lives before something is done. I feel for the first responders who arrive on a scene of pure destruction. And to the families of the injured, but of course to the senseless death of another innocent human. The news says the driver going the wrong way had anxiety attack ( bull s**t ). When will this situation be corrected of wrong way drivers. Several years ago after th horrific accident on the Taconic I approached several high ranking officials(Left Nameless) with a idea. I certain parking lots if you try to go out the exit so not to pay there are underground mounted spikes that only fold down if entering or exiting correctly ( We all have seen these some where). Why could these be installed on either entrance ramps or exits, this will prevent vehicles going the wrong way by flating the tires. For Emergency vehicles you have to enter the wrong direction a level can be installed or a automatic way the spikes can go do in a emergency. Yes it sounds crazy and yes the system will need to be mantained and possible failures with the folding spikes. But why not try something. I have seen some of the wrainsong way signs in westchester(Behind weeds). Do Not Enter(on the ground). It sems to me this is happening way to offen, bad enough people can't drive going the right way! There is no excuse for entering a road the wrong way, we all learned in drivers education about paint colors on the drivers side.example (Movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles) "Your going the wrong way".

I think it has become more of an issue of the quality of the people that we are giving drivers licenses to. I would love to see some sort of re-certification when you reach a certain age.

shfirefighter and Westchester like this

The problem is not the road design or the lack of 'dummy proof' design. The problem is drivers that have no business being behind the wheel of a car. Every day 99.999% of the population somehow navigates turns, intersections and directions of travel correctly. The problem clearly isn't the design. The problem is that people CLEARLY not capable or able to safely drive anymore get behind the wheel and endanger the rest of us. It's time to start making it a little bit harder to both get and to renew drivers licenses.

Edited by 20y2

Write to Cuomo. Maybe he will pass a new Highway SAFE Act in the dark of night without any review or debate that limits vehicles to 7 miles per hour, reduces highways to one direction (north on even days, south on odd days) to prevent the constant accidents caused by these wrong-way drivers.

Oh wait! They aren't constant and we can't legislate stupid out of the drivers seat.

billy98988, JM15, firemp218 and 2 others like this

He had a passenger? His nurse? Very bizarre.

Investigators learned of Schechel’s anxiety attack in an interview with Luz Hoffman, 56, the passenger in Schechel’s Explorer, who told police she is his nurse....Doreen Ciborowski, 53, of Thiells, was driving northbound Tuesday night on the Tappan Zee, returning home from her job as a nurse at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx....traveling about 45 miles per hour in the center lane, not far from the Rockland side of the bridge, when a white SUV came barreling toward her.

“He had his lights on and he was beeping at me and I could not believe what I was seeing,” she said. “He was speeding, I want to say over 60 miles per hour because he flew right by me.” Ciborowksi swerved into another lane and dialed 911. “All I thought to myself is this guy’s on a suicide mission,” she said.

Lohud link

This sounds like a sucide attempt. But why take innocent people with you like Diane Schuller n the Taconic. Anxiety

Attacks don't cause someone to do this. It's come to a point where it's unsafe to leave your house. This is happening way too much.