Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Sad - Yonkers Antique Truck 5

13 posts in this topic

I just happened to be visiting the City of Yonkers yesterday, while on business, and took a drive by the YFD Special Operations/New Headquarters area along Saw Mill River Road and Axminster, looking over the fence into the "Yonkers Fire Truck GRAVEYARD (where YFD places rigs/apparatus to be stored "outside" as they see there last days in Yonkers).

While some of the old YFD Special Operations tractors, used to pull some of the SOD Trailers that they have, are outside among "the weeds and brush" outside of the Special Operations Building, what really caught my eye and was sad to see, was the Antique YFD Truck 5 (this was the 1950's American LaFrance Mid-Mount Ladder Truck that was restored to look like the old YFD Truck 5 that served the city back in the 1960's and into the early 1970's). Many members of the Yonkers Fire Department put in countless hours to help restore this truck. I believe that one of the original plans was to house this truck inside the eventual Yonkers Fire Department Muesum, that was originally earmarked to be at the old Station 8 on Warburton Avenue, that eventually scrapped (possibly along with the old YFD Mack CF Engine that was one of the last produced by Mack from their production line)

See it "Rust" outside, with just a blue tarp over the open cab area, but allowing the actual aerial ladder section to be exposed to the elements, is just plain sad. (I thought that I had read that this Antique Truck was being stored either downstairs/inside at Station 8 or at the DPW Maintenence Garage?). This gave me visiions of seeing the old Mack B YFD Rescue Truck laying in the back of Station 10 back in 1977, after it was taken out of commission a year earlier, seeing it rust away, eventually to be towed off to oblivion (I'd bet that the YFD Historians would like to have that old Rescue Rig back to include it in a YFD Muesum). Maybe someone within YFD can rethink leaving this restored truck and move it back "inside" until the Muesum ever gets completed, somewhere in Yonkers.

Truck 5.bmp

Funny, I heard the same thing the other day, and was PISSED, especially after knowing all the hard work, dedication, and love behind the restoration. It came out beautiful, and I took the photo below shortly after it was restored and going to appear in the Columbus Day Parade.

Maybe one day, my dream for a Yonkers FD Training Center and Museum will come to fruition. Until then, I can't believe that there's no place to store it in all of YONKERS (not in an upstate warehouse). No City agency or private business has garage space to donate? And I hope it will appear at the EMTBravo Muster in 2014 if the truck's still alive.

post-11-0-28183000-1375550553.jpg

Rescue18, x4093k, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

As it sat tonight....very sad. I hope someone finds some garage space real soon, all that hard work is starting to feel the elements...(excuse the quality, cell phone shot)

post-11-0-86979500-1375670638.jpg

Is there a group of people trying to get a fire museum up and running in Yonkers?

http://www.yonkersfiremuseum.org/

I believe that the original plans was to convert the old carriage house, that was originally the quarters of Engine 8, on Walburton Avenue, into the YFD Muesum, but my understanding is that those plans never materialized. Would be nice to take over some space down along Saw Mill River Road, near or around the new YFD Headquarters/Special Operations Area, and make that into a YFD Museum? Otherwise, I am sure that if YFD wanted to donate it or sell it to a private collector, they could post it on the web and maybe a collector might be interested in taking it, if the museum doesn't pan out.

(On the "Light Side" - Hey Fitzy, maybe the Jamestown (RI) Fire Department Museum (www.jamestownfd.com/museum) up here in Rhode Island, might take it if you wanted to donate it to their museum, I am sure that they would be happy to find a home for it (you never know). OR maybe you can find room in your garage where you retired to? LOL : ) :D )

sfrd18 likes this

The guys did a great job on Truck Five. Terrible that the truck is being stored outdoors. I really loved those old ALFs. As a kid growing up in the 1950s American-LaFrance rigs WERE fire engines and trucks to me.

Is there room in any YFD station to store it?

61MACKBR1 likes this

The Villages, Florida Dept. Of Public Safety Has A Beautifully Restored Open Cab ALF Pumper ( ALWAYS Stored Indoors ) And Would Be Interested In Obtaining An ALF Open Cab MMA.

John P. Maguire

A few years ago I had the honor of driving the old "truck 5" from Cook (Redmond) Field back to Station 12 on Fortfield Ave. (Maybe a mile or so...) Its a gas engine and needs to be double-clutched. It also has a set of wipers on the inside of the windshield. Check the old "screw jack" outriggers. I agree the restoration was very well done . Me , Redtruck75 , Eddy Money & Lt. Triz all had a ball that day...

redtruck75 and sfrd18 like this

It was due to the great efforts of you and the others you mentioned that made this restoration all possible. If Yonkers is not able/willing to create a Fire Muesum, then maybe Westchester County could donate a building that could be used a County Fire Muesuem where "Truck 5" could be displayed?

To just sit and rust outside in the Yonkers FD SOD Graveyard just doesn't seem right.

A few years ago I had the honor of driving the old "truck 5" from Cook (Redmond) Field back to Station 12 on Fortfield Ave. (Maybe a mile or so...) Its a gas engine and needs to be double-clutched. It also has a set of wipers on the inside of the windshield. Check the old "screw jack" outriggers. I agree the restoration was very well done . Me , Redtruck75 , Eddy Money & Lt. Triz all had a ball that day...

Who owns this vehicle? Who restored it? How did it get payed for? With the current situation in Yonkers, I could see the city saying call Brookfield and Junk them:(

Seems like YFD has a lot of equipment outside that is usable for operations and not enough space for that stuff.

Now they have a antique ladder and a pumper to store. Sounds like bad timing for these projects or the union should make some arrangements to store this equipment. There are a few large collectors upstate that will let you store and display the apparatus and you still remain owner of the equipment.

Should be something someone can look into, but I am sure the above questions of ownership may complicate things. Hope they can work these issues out the job done during the restoration is a labor of love and something to be proud of for all the past and present YFD members.

Who owns this vehicle? Who restored it? How did it get payed for? With the current situation in Yonkers, I could see the city saying call Brookfield and Junk them:(

Seems like YFD has a lot of equipment outside that is usable for operations and not enough space for that stuff.

Now they have a antique ladder and a pumper to store. Sounds like bad timing for these projects or the union should make some arrangements to store this equipment. There are a few large collectors upstate that will let you store and display the apparatus and you still remain owner of the equipment.

Should be something someone can look into, but I am sure the above questions of ownership may complicate things. Hope they can work these issues out the job done during the restoration is a labor of love and something to be proud of for all the past and present YFD members.

I hope that the City of Yonkers doesn't add the restored Truck 5 to its new City Auction Program! Yes, by the looks of it, a number of city agencies have a surplus of cars and trucks that appear as if they have no room for.

The restored Truck 5, I believe was intended foe the YFD Muesuem that hasn't materialized ( as I believe the reconditioned Mack CF Engine 306). Maybe the city and YFD will surprise us all

Yonkers can find the money to do what they want. They've done really awesome things to enhance the city in recent years, one of my favorites is the "day lighting" of the Saw Mill River in Larkin Plaza, which turned out beautiful.

They can find the space and money to preserve the heritage and heroic history of Yonkers firefighters, and all they've accomplished for the city, and the nation. Station 8 would be a great place for a museum, as you have the Hudson River Museum nearby. Actually, a display in the Hudson River Museum would be awesome, as Yonkers was a powerhouse in the Hudson Valley.

I'd also like to see a place that highlights the heroics of firefighters such as Patrick Joyce and all the other Yonkers FF's who have died in the line of duty serving Yonkers. Engine 306 holds a lot of stories and history of heroics in one of the most firematically active areas of Yonkers, and would be a nice showpiece attraction.

I even think Yonkers has the capability to pull off something like the FDNY Fire Zone and be a fire safety education center as well.

Whatever is done IF something is done, I'm, willing to bet it will be a huge draw for the community, including fire buffs, Hudson Valley history buffs, schoolchildren, etc, and a tremendous asset to the community.

History is a powerful tool to power the future, and shouldn't be left to rot.