x635

FDNY Getting Rid Of 1 3/4 Hose?

22 posts in this topic

I've heard a credible rumor that FDNY has a pilot program to replace 1 3/4 hose with 2" hose specially made for FDNY. I believe 5 Engine companies are participating in the pilot program.

Does anyone have more information on this?

pfdff and sfrd18 like this

Many years ago, we (Hartsdale) tried 2 inch hose, thinking it might give you more water on the fire faster than using 1 3/4 off a standpipe and going to 2 1/2 as more manpower arrives.

We found it to be too unwieldy for a small crew on initial attack and we stayed with 1 3/4.

markmets415 and PCFD ENG58 like this

FDNY was testing 2 inch hose with 2.5 couplings, great water flow.

I heard the same rumor around a year ago from an FDNY firefighter and that they were planning on testing it out sometime this year. Anyone know now if they will switch to 2" or stay with 1 3/4"?

FDNY was testing 2 inch hose with 2.5 couplings, great water flow.

Damn talk about needing the "doorman", I'd think this would make for a difficult stretch?

x129K and markmets415 like this

Right now FDNY has 2" hose being used as lead length in standpipe operations, it is lightweight with 2 1/2 butts, also new lightweight

2 1/2 hose being used all are single jacket. So standpipe is stretched using 2 1/2 hose with the last length being the 2" with smooth bore 1" MST which is a little longer than normal MST in length.

A pilot program is underway with 2" being used in lieu of 1 3/4 in selected Engines just kicked off not involved in the test but did hear some issues already and was temporarily pulled from use until remedy is found. It was to be 10 lengths of 2" filled out with standard 2 1/2 hose to be used from main hose bed. Different from the 6 lengths 1 3/4 then fillout with 2 1/2. More when program restarts

x635, sfrd18 and M' Ave like this

Our Dept has been using 2 inch hose for almost 10 years now. Our Dept likes it, we started out with rubber hose but switched over to canvas about 3 years ago. 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch attack hose. The only 1 3/4 we use is for trash lines. No booster hose on any 1st line Engine.

Yes the rumor is true.

FDNY Piloting companies are E62, E75, E255, E275 and E290

post-3-0-46724400-1375765268.jpg

Photo Credit: Jerry Fischer

Thank you for that information. If anybody can put that hose to the test, it will be the FDNY, and those FDNY companies are some of the busiest.

Thanks "MAC8146" for your detailed info also.

x4093k likes this

It appears the FDNY test parameters was not really aligned with totally eliminating 1.75" but using the 2" in a very specific application. FDNY does serve well as a proving ground for many tactics and tools given their volume and ability to quantify their results, but even when they make changes, one must look at the overall picture before determining that it'll work elsewhere as well or without issue. I'd be more inclined to cast aside those things they cast aside, but want to further test those they find work for them.

Edited by antiquefirelt

Really? Photo was taken 2 days ago.

The picture was sent to you two days ago. It was ordered removed July 30th. Not one single positive thing to say about it. Heavier and much harder to maneuver.

x4093k likes this

What was the very specific application being tested?

What was the very specific application being tested?

Sorry I misread post #6 above about it's use as the lead length off standpipe stretches vs. the apparently dead test of replacing 1.75" in general. Thought they were only testing it for the highrise stretches.

Yes the rumor is true.

FDNY Piloting companies are E62, E75, E255, E275 and E290

attachicon.gifhose bed.jpg

Photo Credit: Jerry Fischer

That photo was taken about a week before he posted it, He said it in the comments.

As of now the use of 2" in hose bed is on hold, some issues developed with hose during stretching, when i get more specifics will post, if you look at picture the lead length was green then 5 lengths of white and then 4 more green, reason being FDNY uses 6 lengths of 1 3/4 followed by 2 1/2 so in order not confuse members when estimating hose stretches they put the 1 and 5 to show 6 lengths off and when you get to 2 1/2 you have 10 total out. Many stretches in tenement areas require more than 10 lengths to reach fire.

The 2" hose is still being used off standpipes as the lead length this has not changed.

Out of curiosity: Does the 2" used for the rear bed stretch pilot have 1 1/2" or 2 1/2" couplings? I'd not heard of 2" with 2.5" couplings until this thread and of course on a single length specifically used on the end of the standpipe stretch that makes sense (one less reducer).

everybodygoes.... that was a quick pilot test huh? lol

what does FDNY usually flow (PSI?) in a 1 3/4 line?

My understanding of the pilot program was because they have so many guys on the line their hands were reducing the flow to the nozzle. 2" hose is much harder to compress than 1 3/4.

Edited by lad12derff
sklov5949 and petervonb like this

My understanding of the pilot program was because they have so many guys on the line their hands were reducing the flow to the nozzle. 2" hose is much harder to compress than 1 3/4.

Flow for 1 3/4 about 180gpm with 15/16" tip, the 2" is 212gpm with 1" tip. Not sure of pilot program 2" hose if it is all 2 1/2 butts I would assume so but will look into it.