Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pjm1733

White Plains Drill School ERA 1959 Photos

30 posts in this topic

That 1948 American Lafrance ladder is a White Planes rig ? Looks like it from the door marking. Never knew they had a mid mount.

Edited by PCFD ENG58
x635 likes this

The truck looks like Ladder 1 from Station 6.

Great photos. Does anyone know who the instructor is?

x635 likes this

The Burn building had a wood supported roof. If you drilled there you had to make sure your fires didn't get too big or you would be buying a roof

x635 and pjm1733 like this

White Plains had 2 mid mounts back in the day. One was a 100' that ran out of headquarters.

The other was a 85' that ran out of old station 2 on Hamilton Ave. When the tiller was purchased around 1956 (57) the 85' was reassigned to Sta. 7 on North St. I think they both eventually found their way to Hartsdale.

PCFD ENG58, x635, 210 and 2 others like this

White Plains had 2 mid mounts back in the day. One was a 100' that ran out of headquarters. The other was a 85' that ran out of old station 2 on Hamilton Ave. When the tiller was purchased around 1956 (57) the 85' was reassigned to Sta. 7 on North St.

Thanks for identifying the officer in the photo as Lt. DeSimone. I remember the name and hearing about him. He was very highly regarded as I recall.

Does the ladder in the photo look like Truck 1 to you?

I remember seeing the old ALF mid-mount at Station 7, I had a buddy named Victor Price who worked there back in the 1970s. I think he was assigned to Eng. 7 (71), though, not to the truck. He was working Eng 7 one night when there was a working fire at the Hillaire Riding stables. A fire-damaged wooden beam came down on him though luckily his Scott Air-Pak took the brunt of it.

I wonder what type of ladder truck the ALF mid-mount replaced at Station 7. Would you happen to know?

x635 likes this

Photos Contributed - Posted for pjm1733.

post-23-0-93883100-1377140407.jpg

Era 1959.

post-23-0-25878300-1377140442.jpg

tommyguy and x635 like this

pjm1733

post-23-0-85627900-1377141229.jpg

x635 likes this

The 85' that went to station 7 didn't replace another ladder, when the station opened in the mid 50s it was a single engine house perhaps by design since the apparatus floor is narrow for two rigs.

tommyguy likes this

The 85' that went to station 7 didn't replace another ladder, when the station opened in the mid 50s it was a single engine house perhaps by design since the apparatus floor is narrow for two rigs.

I was not aware of that. Of course Station 7 was locally famous as the firehouse that doesn't LOOK like a firehouse. I remember as a young kid my Dad or someone driving us out to Ridgeway to see it. That might've been just before Truck 3 was put in service. We pulled in on the apron for a minute although I don't remember if there was just a single engine there.

Chief maybe you can answer a question I've had for a long time.

How did Headquarters on Mam'k Avenue become Station 6 while Prescott Avenue (Old Mam'k Rd) was designated Station 1? It always seemed like HQ predated Station 1. I always wondered if originally HQ was just 'Headquarters,' and maybe later on was designated Station 6 as the next available number. In fact possibly someone at WPFD told me that as the guys back then were fairly tolerant of kids hanging around and I used to ask tons of questions. But after so many years....

Looks like a acton shot ! better remove the wheel chocks on the rear axle!

1957, As the name Amercain La France is spelled out on the jump seats and on the noise. 1948 -1956 700 sr did not have this and as the engines from 1957 on till the 900's in 1959 the 800's had the same. The ladder trucks no mater what size from 1948 till 1958 all were 700's.

Lieutenant Ed Bogart, his son Lieutenant Bob Bogart was on the job (retired), as is his grandson Lt. Scott Bogart.

x129K and pjm1733 like this

Lieutenant Ed Bogart, his son Lieutenant Bob Bogart was on the job (retired), as is his grandson Lt. Scott Bogart.

and Scott's brother Wayne was a cop and Wayne son Chris is best friends with my son Patrick both gonna bees

Edited by pjm1733

Lt. Bob Bogart visiting the fire house as a child

post-3113-0-94678500-1377226721.jpg

Edited by fyrlt17
tommyguy and pjm1733 like this

I was not aware of that. Of course Station 7 was locally famous as the firehouse that doesn't LOOK like a firehouse. I remember as a young kid my Dad or someone driving us out to Ridgeway to see it. That might've been just before Truck 3 was put in service. We pulled in on the apron for a minute although I don't remember if there was just a single engine there.

Chief maybe you can answer a question I've had for a long time.

How did Headquarters on Mam'k Avenue become Station 6 while Prescott Avenue (Old Mam'k Rd) was designated Station 1? It always seemed like HQ predated Station 1. I always wondered if originally HQ was just 'Headquarters,' and maybe later on was designated Station 6 as the next available number. In fact possibly someone at WPFD told me that as the guys back then were fairly tolerant of kids hanging around and I used to ask tons of questions. But after so many years....

Back in High School 77-80 we would stop by( in-between classes) Station 7 using the back door and use the (candy machine) . The Firemen where very cool as long as you did not leave a mess . Guess what, nobody I knew ever caused a problem.

Tommy, as you know each fire house "had" a coinciding engine with the firehouse number, Engine 1 Station 1. I am not going to pretend to be some kind of expert on it, but seeing no body else wants to chime in. I will try my theory,but now watch all the responses. In the beginning each fire house had it own name example South Side Engine Co # 4 was Station 4, East Side Engine Co Station 3, Pretty sure it was Chatterton Hose Co Station 5 But it was on Robertson av. <<<<<Scratching Head . Fire Patrol Co Station 1 and so on. @ some point they just numbered the engines with the stations and Headquarters Station 6 began its dual identity,because that's where the Chief was Located. I think the Vollys still use those names today .

I have always been a believer in " if you cant dazzle the with brilliance" Baffle them with, well you know the rest .

as a bonus for putting up with my rant here is a pick that was sent to me today by a friend (Titled Protection From Today)

Engine -71 Rescue-88 Ladder-32 2512

Car-17 Truck 1 Patrol Supervisors

Ambulance -1 Ambulance-3 EMS Supervisor

deck collapse 2 minor injuries transported to WP hosp

post-881-0-39930600-1377402465.jpg

Edited by pjm1733
tommyguy likes this

After just reading the history of the White Plains FD up to 1955 I would say PJM1733 is pretty much on target.

Station 7 being the last new fire station to be built was most likely just assigned that number to be in chronological order.

tommyguy likes this

After just reading the history of the White Plains FD up to 1955 I would say PJM1733 is pretty much on target.

Station 7 being the last new fire station to be built was most likely just assigned that number to be in chronological order.

May I ask where you read about the history at ? I would definitely like to check it out myself. Thanks in advance