x635

Hospital Radio Notification Reports

38 posts in this topic

The best hospital response I heard came after a very verbose radio presentation of a pt. After hearing the report the triage nurse simply asked "What's his fovorite color?"

Turborich likes this

Hartford hospital only takes priority 1 patches or odd notificitaions (need RT for vent or security or whatever), Being a level 1 trauma center, the triage nurse is required to ask the GCS on every pt if it is not mentioned, so on that code your transporting with cpr, a IV/IO, tube and meds and all, they still ask "Whats the patients GCS" and the best ive heard is "0 maybe 1 right now".

Expounding upon SOAP notes- which breaks down to Subjective, Objective, Assessment, and Procedures- which is a staple in the hospital environment is the old prehospital elaboration of "CHART"-

C- Chief Complaint

H- Hx or History (present situational and pertainent past medical or traumatic)

A- Assessment (pertainent findings)

R- (RX) Current Medications (if pertainent)

T- Treatment

Has never failed me- and I loathe talking on the radio to the hospital- not to sound all glorious and covered in all things tasting of salt, but I have better $h.. to be doing in the back of an ambulance than telling a hospital a succinct report of what I'm eventually going to tell them in another "5 to 10".

Our billing (Private and non-for-profit EMS).

Kind of reminds me of when I was with Transcare, having to put Insurance information on the PCR. (Seriously) Luckily for me I do in all honesty have background in "Medical Billing" as well,

so had sense enough to ask patient what insurance company was primary, secondary & if applicable tertiary! Lord knows it would come back to bite some-one if it wasn't put in the right

order and it was overlooked by billing. Claim would come back denied if it went to secondary first.

All things aside from what has been since mentioned. It's a wonder this class isn't a 10 or 12 month class. Too much material in too little time, yet were responsible to know it regardless whether it's covered

or not. 3 1/2 months is just too much cram and jam.

My reports are very brief. Age, sex, chief complaint and ETA. I have never asked the question "do you require anything further." In my opinion there is no need to give vital signs, because the set you give during the report may well change by the time you hit the ED. The chances are good that the person you spoke with on the radio is not the RN you're turning patient care over to.

Here is where passing on what you have learned to the people coming in behind you is important. TRAIN THE JUNIOR EMT'S on what you have learned is expected. One of the things that drove me crazy was when I asked a question or wanted you improve I got answers like "you f@#$ed it up! That doesn't help anybody

The sad fact is that EMT training has run anywhere from 89 hours (historicly) to about 180 hours. Many instructors have identified that to actually cover all of the material properly requires 200-300 hours. DOH, the hospitals, the agencies, and the students are not willing to PAY for that amount of training.

Whats really sad is that if my mother is having a heart attack or my child is struck by a car, all that state requires is an ambulance withan EMT that has less than 200 hours of training, but

If I want my head shaved in a barbers shop, the state requires the barber to have gone to school for 2 years, followed by an apprenticship and then they are elligable for taking a licencing exam (after taking a medical exam to prove they have no communicable diseases) & a criminal background check similar to EMT.

We should make it worth it. Just imagine what would happen if everyone banged in?! Problem is - EMS doesn't have the cohesiveness like FD/PD so there will always be someone willing to fill that open tour.

That said. CT's CMED and hospital patching system is impressive. Some hospitals even have the charge nurse carrying the CMED radio on their hip! I cant tell you how many times ive tried to make a radio report on Westchester's trunking system to no avail. I can recall one early christmas morning i had sedated and intubated a traumatic closed head injury and there was nothing but crickets on the other end (kuds to the 60 dispatchers who took the info down for me and notified on my behalf).