Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Eastchester firefighter with cancer tried to retire, got fired

23 posts in this topic

Eastchester firefighter with cancer tried to retire, got fired

Without money from his pension or salary, the firefighter worries how he and his family will survive

EASTCHESTER, N.Y. — A firefighter battling bladder cancer was fired weeks after finding out the state denied his disability retirement.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-department-management/articles/1522204-NY-firefighter-with-cancer-tried-to-retire-got-fired/

So much for brotherhood. That sucks!

I agree all firefighters should support one another.

Edited by JetPhoto

Typical Fire District Commissioner "untouchable" politics. And there are a lot of people afraid for their jobs to stand up to them. Sounds very much like what happened to me. The days of 207A are over. It's a horrible fight to be in the middle of and I wish Firefighter Maldari the best of luck. Hang in there.

Rich will do a good job for this Brother. He is our Local's lawyer as well.

Time for a rally ?

It is election time. I think Westchester firefighters need to get together for some good ole fashion picketing. It could be you next!!!

firefighter36 and bigrig77 like this

It is election time. I think Westchester firefighters need to get together for some good ole fashion picketing. It could be you next!!!

Election time for Fire Commissioners is in Late November, Vote is in December.

Most districts have 5 Commissioners with 5 year terms. One up for election each year.

Election time for Fire Commissioners is in Late November, Vote is in December.

Most districts have 5 Commissioners with 5 year terms. One up for election each year.

Barry, A bill was passed by the NYS Senate and Assembly in June that moves the Eastchester Fire District elections to the November general election.

Barry, A bill was passed by the NYS Senate and Assembly in June that moves the Eastchester Fire District elections to the November general election.

Thanks. I was not aware of this.

I believe they all should be this way. Maybe turnout would improve

velcroMedic1987 likes this

The City of New Rochelle is refusing to pay for post-op medical expenses. They feel they are not required. In checking with many departments within the NYS government, no one will admit to jurisdiction over fire departments and 207-A. Once you get your disability retirement you are on you own.

The City of New Rochelle is refusing to pay for post-op medical expenses. They feel they are not required. In checking with many departments within the NYS government, no one will admit to jurisdiction over fire departments and 207-A. Once you get your disability retirement you are on you own.

I'm curious; can you elaborate more on this?

Maybe a Jurisdiction shouldn't have to pay for a 207A members medical expenses after they're granted Disability. Right or wrong it's a Business fellows and that's how people look at it.

There was a ruling back in February, for New York City, that an employee who retires with a medical disability due to a line of duty incident, is no longer entitled to have the city pay for further medical treatment, including doctor visits, medications (prescription included), therapy, etc. The retiree, or his personal insurance must cover the costs.

Here is an article in the NY Post http://nypost.com/2013/02/20/finests-benefit-of-doubt-retiree-med-lap/ The PBa was looking into appealing the decision.

Does it surprise you that they act this way? They have medical for life and never worked one Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I wish the brother from EFD, L-916 much luck. Rich will tear the District apart. I know my president already reached out to Shawn in regards to this situation. This has got MaryLou Conrow written all over it. She is an evil individual coming to a job near you, beware. But as grotesque as a person as she is, she's not the one making the decision to fire FF Maldari.

The article seems pretty clear cut and firing FF Maldari on an "off the line for one year" technicality seems petty, unethical, immoral and plain right stupid. Is there more to this story?

Good luck brother Maldari, we're in your corner.

firefighter36 and gruber166 like this

The issue guys is not him losing his job. It is the fact that he was not granted his pension for a disability which was incurred from work, and has been legislatively covered by our labor laws. Forget the job, this man needs his benefits that he is due. Many a man has succumbed to workplace related illness and it is because of this we as employed people regardless of profession need to fight for this mans rights. We have the heart bill, we have the cancer bill, we have 9.11 prescriptions, we have all these laws that are in place because of guys before this!

And if you didn't know about your care being your onus after you retire someone should have told you. Friend is out from a neck injury, even as a 20 year guy he didn't believe me when I said get it all done NOW before they put you out. After its your copay, your PT benefits amount of visits.

And for the guy referencing New Rochelle, that City doesn't give a rats behind about its employees, yet the men and women continually keep that place safe and clean, all while the city continues raping the tax payers.

Edited by everybodygoes

I'm curious; can you elaborate more on this?

I was injured due to the city's negligence. Had major neck surgery and a year of rehab. Went out on disability retirement. The City of New Rochelle had been paying all my post-op care until they switched to a new 207-A administrator. 207 Solutions. They are not employee friendly. As soon as the city switched to 207 Solutions my problems started. After 207 Solutions authorized another round of P.T. ( which my injury/surgery will require me to have periodic maintenance for the rest of my life), they started to play games. After I finished 8 weeks of P.T. 207 Solutions unauthorized my P.T. sticking me with the entire bill.

In city hall no one will take responsibility with dealing with this situation. Everyone points the finger at someone else. Mayor Bramson is useless, he can't even answer a simple question without a long political rhetoric. The city manager told me he does know much about 207-A to help me.

The city is trying to save money on the employees, yet I was able to get a few invoices that the city paid to 207 Solutions and Mary Lou Conrow. They were paid a few thousand dollars just in my case alone. And let's not forget the couple of thousands that the city of New Rochelle paid an I.M.E. to write a report of lies stated that there is nothing wrong with me.

I was injured due to the city's negligence. Had major neck surgery and a year of rehab. Went out on disability retirement. The City of New Rochelle had been paying all my post-op care until they switched to a new 207-A administrator. 207 Solutions. They are not employee friendly. As soon as the city switched to 207 Solutions my problems started. After 207 Solutions authorized another round of P.T. ( which my injury/surgery will require me to have periodic maintenance for the rest of my life), they started to play games. After I finished 8 weeks of P.T. 207 Solutions unauthorized my P.T. sticking me with the entire bill.

In city hall no one will take responsibility with dealing with this situation. Everyone points the finger at someone else. Mayor Bramson is useless, he can't even answer a simple question without a long political rhetoric. The city manager told me he does know much about 207-A to help me.

The city is trying to save money on the employees, yet I was able to get a few invoices that the city paid to 207 Solutions and Mary Lou Conrow. They were paid a few thousand dollars just in my case alone. And let's not forget the couple of thousands that the city of New Rochelle paid an I.M.E. to write a report of lies stated that there is nothing wrong with me.

From your elaboration, it sounds as if the city abandoned/washed their hands of you once the new 207-A Solutions Administrator took over; if this in fact is true, then it is truly rephrehensible especially if it was due to the city's negligence. Hopefully the union, if applicable, reached out to assist you and perhaps investigate the possiblity of filing a lawsuit to recover funds/benefits.

time for me to weigh in on this one--again stating it is just my thoughts.

There is or should have been a system in place to file for 207-A related injuries and or illnesses. if he missed a dead line or wasn't aware of what to do--that becomes a union issue.

The one year out sick is a decision on the Districts part-- after one year(unlimited sick) the District has the right to send you to THEIR doctor and get a opinion on whether the firefighter can work or not. If he CAN'T he is then entitled to a medical disability--- that amounts to 1/3 of his salary or his last 12 months which ever is higher.

He would then be able to register for social Security disability for medical expenses. To be denied this opportunity is just wrong on the District. Unless I am missing some important information.

Dinosaur and firefighter36 like this