Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

New York State Civil Service delays

5 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, does anyone know the reason why civil service testing in New York State is such a long process.

For example, the fact Orange County has stated it would take 3 to 6 months to get the written test results of the dispatcher exam.

In other states, the written exam results are graded and returned the same day of the test. And in 6 months you could go through the hiring process and start the academy for police officers or be working as a dispatcher.

I realize that the counties in NY have to submit the tests to the state but still, they are Scantrons, it should not take 6 months. Plus the fact that the counties in NYS still snail-mail the results.

It just seems so inefficient in this age of technology

effd3918 likes this

It's because it's NY. The same state that decided that since they wanted to teach CPR in EMT class, they had to change the entire EMS system around from the national curriculum. The same state that has decided that if you own an out of state corporation but live in NY, you should pay corporation taxes in NY in addition to the other state's taxes.

velcroMedic1987 and effd3918 like this

It's not really New York State, it's more of the local civil service department that is the problem. A few years ago I cross-filed for the firefighter test in 5 places, which means that I took one test and it counted for 5 municipalities lists. I received my results from the City of Ithaca in 2 weeks. It took Dutchess County almost 4 months to send out the results of the same exact test. Something similar happened with the last Westchester firefighter test. For some reason, the people at civil service enjoy holding information back. It took Westchester almost 9 months to publish the results of the last firefighter test. The disgusting part is they knew the entire time that they were not going to release the results until the old list expired and instead of informing the candidates of this, they just bullshitted us every time we called to ask when the results would be published. I would suggest waiting about a month after any exam and then filing a FOIL request of the exam results. This will put the municipality on the spot and give them a set time period in which they must provide a valid response.