Bnechis

Vacuum System for Attic Fires

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Is there a need for it?

Does it work?

Sauk Rapids Fire Department has purchased an insulation vacuum system that is able to clear blown-in insulation from burning attics. Donations paid for the $6,500 system.

Sauk Rapids Fire Chief Tony Hommerding said insulation smolders and firefighters usually have to tear down ceilings to make sure the fire is completely out. But the new system allows them to vacuum up the insulation without further damaging the building.

The new system makes putting out attic fires easier and safer, he said.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/11175609/minn-department-to-share-new-vacuum-system?utm_source=FH+Newsday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CPS130917005

Seems pretty pricey for the overall number of incidents, but I can say that I know I wish we had something like this a few times. Blown in cellulose is very hard to be completely satisfied without removing all of it. We had a small outside fire in a porta-potty that extended very lightly into the eave of a 60 x 200 multiple occupancy. The crew was able to quickly contain the fire in the attic but then spent a significant time chasing smoldering spots across the attic. With extension/damage to any of the finished interior businesses, tearing down ceilings was not a favored option. In the end a crew had to return for a smoldering section later the same night. As I recall this was after "clearing" the attic with a TIC. Had we been able to remove the cellulose from the section where the extension occurred the return trip may have been prevented. Thankfully there was never any damage beyond the exterior and slight intrusion in the eave.

As a testament to the ignitability of cellulose insulation: in my early years I worked building construction and one job was removing a roof and adding a second floor to a large home on the waterfront. While cutting the roof off with a slight breeze the cellulose was repeatedly ignited by the sparks from a chainsaw striking nails. Even the low mass sparks with no pre-warming were able to start the insulation smoldering. So just missing one little spot could result in a rekindle.

Bnechis likes this

How many attic fire have you actually had and how many were the result of blown in insulation?

Most attic fires originate elsewhere in the structure, and spread to the attic, such as balloon construction where you most likely would find the blown in insulation. Or are the result of a lighting strike and the burning insulation is the least of your problems.

A better investment and money well spent to battle attic fires as well as others would be on a CAFS system.

I suspect one of the factors would be the predominance of this type of insulation in your buildings. We seem to have a significant number of older homes where this was used in both walls, ceilings and attics. Reading the "full" article on this device in Minn. describes the system as a regional resource in a fairly urban area. I'm guessing they have a high percentage of homes with this stuff in the attic.

While we've not had a large number of attic fires overall, any time we've had extension this has been a concern. The real issues is when you have an ignition source and air movement. If the attic remains sealed up, the smoldering can easily be contained as it doesn't spread, but a little air flow and the very light heated pieces easily travel to other areas. Again, given the price, this would seem to be a decent regional asset vs. any one FD just as they're doing in Minnesota.

markmets415 likes this

At home: Instead of waiting for your fireplace to completely go out, you can now clean out the coals while they are still hot. Just use your Electrolux.

OR

At work: Use Positive Pressure Attack at the front door, the Supervac in the attic and an Indirect Fog Attack complete with the Coriolis Effect spun clockwise in a window and you will be the next FDIC keynote speaker

sueg likes this