38ff

Obamacare and VFD's

39 posts in this topic

Ever heard the phrase "lead by example"? Well what I'd like to know is, if this coverage is supposed to be so great for all why aren't Congress and the Prez lining up to be the first in line to sign on to it instead of making themselves exempt? What the hell kind of leadership is that? Which leads to another appropriate axiom..."actions speak louder than words"...I think it's pretty loud and clear what their actions are saying in this case and it speaks volumes.

Forgot to add...if it's not good enough for them, well then it sure as hell isn't good enough for me!

antiquefirelt likes this

The exemptions we hear about only mean that our fine congress and senate members will be able to receive the same subsidies that any of us would receive if we purchased health insurance from an exchange. Thus, their 180k salaries wouldn't factor in to the price they would be charged like everyone else's household income would.

Medicaid and Medicare, crazy as they can be are both up and running public options of sorts. Root out the fraud, waste, and corruption, and find a fair cost to allow folks to buy the same or better coverage that such programs provide, and there is your public option. No 5000 pages of legislation, no exchanges, and as little effect on everyone else as possible. Remember, the interstate system was established in a 16 page document.

Seth, you remarked that everyone should have access to healthcare somehow, and you are absolutely right. There is a human side and cost to the healthcare issue in this country that is pushed aside or not portrayed accurately for the sake of political gain by our "leaders" in DC. Thank you for shedding some light on it, hopefully it reels people on both sides in and makes them think a bit more about this.

Many of you voted for this clown and made him president. Hopefully your eyes are opening and won't make a similar mistake (Hilary) when the time comes. Maybe he should get another Noble Peace Prize for creating the healthcare system that will cripple the country.

ex-commish and FFPCogs like this

Many of you voted for this clown and made him president. Hopefully your eyes are opening and won't make a similar mistake (Hilary) when the time comes. Maybe he should get another Noble Peace Prize for creating the healthcare system that will cripple the country.

All Presidents are members of the same hypocrisy whether or not we want to admit it or not.

The fact that people are complaining that they may get free health care is incomprehensible to me! We have so many problems in this country, I myself wouldn't even know where to start but with millions of people without health insurance in an industrialized nation, i don't think healthcare for everyone is a bad place to start. The PPACA is a great idea; Getting rid of insurance companies and their 19% profit yearly (billions upon billions) would have been great! Maybe we should focus on multinational and transnational corporations, special interest groups, and lobbyists paying off senators to vote in their favor, keeping the status quo, and screwing everyone except the less than 1% of America! That's why the entire bill was not passed and now we're getting hammered from both directions! This country is a plutocracy!

Explain how this program is "FREE". Nothing is FREE! I don't care if you're talking about a kid's lemonade stand on the corner, a volunteer fire department, or Obamacare they all have a cost that is borne by someone.

How many people are losing their jobs and/or their current insurance because of Obamacare? I have friends who lost their full-time jobs because their employees can't afford to pay insurance costs.

Federal Government pays. It will equal out in other areas, such as the enormous waste of money patchwork programs out there nowadays, and the hospitals going bankrupt because of those without healthcare and abusing the system. And not everyone who is "not working" is taking advantage, and their are many middle class Americans who can't get healthcare either. With better healthcare and standards to hold doctors to, we'd have a lot more people that would be healthy enough to work, and jobs for those who need work.

You can't put a dollar sign on a human life. The hairs need to stop being split. Who cares whether you are a volunteer firefighter or volunteer at a homeless shelter. That should really be irrelevant.

And, you know you have a problem when Mexico has better healthcare!

The Federal Government doesn't pay for anything. WE pay for anything that the government provides.

You can put a dollar sign on human life, it happens all the time with insurance companies, actuarials, the courts, and more. Rather a chilling thing to observe in action!

If you really think Mexico has better healthcare than the United States, there are daily flights from JFK and LGA! That's absurd!

Right, because the Republican Presidential options have been so much better in recent years and their prospective candidates for 2016 at this point look to be so appealing.

While I'm willing to admit that he hasn't fully lived up to my expectations on a number of issues, the far greater "mistake" was electing the ultra conservative tea party candidates to Congress. We already had a strong unwillingness from the Republicans to work with President Obama on any issue, something we've never experienced at the level it's been since he took office. If that wasn't bad enough, now we have a small faction of Republicans gleefully trying to inflict great harm on the nation based on ideology rather than sound policy and an unwillingness from the rest of the Republicans in Congress to stand up to them and stop the madness.

BBBMF and SRS131EMTFF like this

Right, because the Republican Presidential options have been so much better in recent years and their prospective candidates for 2016 at this point look to be so appealing.

While I'm willing to admit that he hasn't fully lived up to my expectations on a number of issues, the far greater "mistake" was electing the ultra conservative tea party candidates to Congress. We already had a strong unwillingness from the Republicans to work with President Obama on any issue, something we've never experienced at the level it's been since he took office. If that wasn't bad enough, now we have a small faction of Republicans gleefully trying to inflict great harm on the nation based on ideology rather than sound policy and an unwillingness from the rest of the Republicans in Congress to stand up to them and stop the madness.

Preach brother, preach

You're correct, it isn't free, but God forbid the people in the middle and lower classes get something from their taxes for a change. You want to talk about crippling the nation???? How about the fact we spend more money on military than every single country below us! How bout we talk about the 400 richest people in America that are more affluent than the bottom 185 million. How about we talk about how the average person got $26 back from bush tax cuts and the richest got over $266,000! Why don't we comment on the fact that tax cuts and the trickle-down affect never works because transnational corporations spend their returns on innovations to reduce jobs in America and the money is never recirculated... Bush's reign in office was the worst economic/job growth since the Great Depression. Does anybody really think another republican is going to help you guys??????? They wouldn't even pass the James Zadroga Act until they got their tax cuts, what a Fu***ing disgrace and miscarraige of justice! You have a better chance of me taking a vacation to Syria than voting for a republican. They're all scum but at least you're going to get something out of a democratic leader, c'mon people! When Clinton was in, we had a surplus, social programs we're up, and more people who really needed help were getting the help. Granted the repeal of the Glass Stea-Gall Act, who i might add was written by 3 republican(GLB), I'd say he did a pretty good job.