Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon And County Police

5 posts in this topic

From the "United We Share" Expo at the County Center:

Does WCPD supply an Officer to MVPD now?

The video highlighted the Mutual Aid expansion and its recent change for Mount Vernon.

“The police officers have taken guns off the streets, narcotics off the street, and more importantly than the numbers, is the fact that Mount Vernon residents can feel safer, because we have a county police officer and a Mount Vernon police officer working together,” said Mount Vernon Police Commissioner Terrance Raynor in the release.

FULL ARTICLE: http://greenburgh.dailyvoice.com/news/united-we-save-expo-focuses-westchesters-shared-services-program

I belive this is part of DCJS's IMPACT program, which pairs sheriff's deputies/county police and state police with local police to increase manpower. I know it is done in Newburgh, Rochester and I'm sure others.

Personally, I find this to be a much better version of IMPACT then the NYPD version of taking rookies putting them on footposts and making them write tickets all day

Chkpoint likes this

There are 2 WCPD detectives who are former MVPD who work with the Major Case Squad on serious crimes in MV. The WCPD Street Crime detail also works with the MVPD Street Crime Unit on street level issues and arrests. It's a synergistic relationship that has worked well for MV and for WCPD. The County PD do NOT replace a MVPD officer in any way, they are not on 'patrol' answering calls or replacing an officer on a short roll call.

I belive this is part of DCJS's IMPACT program, which pairs sheriff's deputies/county police and state police with local police to increase manpower. I know it is done in Newburgh, Rochester and I'm sure others.

Personally, I find this to be a much better version of IMPACT then the NYPD version of taking rookies putting them on footposts and making them write tickets all day

There are 2 WCPD detectives who are former MVPD who work with the Major Case Squad on serious crimes in MV. The WCPD Street Crime detail also works with the MVPD Street Crime Unit on street level issues and arrests. It's a synergistic relationship that has worked well for MV and for WCPD. The County PD do NOT replace a MVPD officer in any way, they are not on 'patrol' answering calls or replacing an officer on a short roll call.

Both correct. A buddy says that the State Police aren't participating in Project Impact this year so the County is providing extra officers on weekend nights as a show of greater force and presence. Last year the troopers did it and they called it gray and blue or something like that.

Can't that actually hurt the department? "Oh, we don't need that many officers, the County or State will bail us out". I hope this isn't used as an excuse for not properly staffing a department, and more like it sounds, and enhancement.