Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbrow06

How To Suit Up

27 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I have standard flat front pants for my EMS position but I have to carry trauma shears, pen light, steth, and BP cuff on me but its impossible with these pants. Any recommendations on how I can make it work?

Hey Guys,

I have standard flat front pants for my EMS position but I have to carry trauma shears, pen light, steth, and BP cuff on me but its impossible with these pants. Any recommendations on how I can make it work?

Also if you work for who I think you work for you are allowed to wear tactical pants.

Who do you work for? I have same uniform for Fdny EMS everything is kept in my bag and the radio clips to belt

I wear tac pants with a BP cuff in a leg pocket. Stehoscope around my neck. A 3x5 pouch about 1" thick fully loaded carries pen, penlight, shears, clamp, O2 wrench, 3" knife, 2" scisssors.

When I first started in the field, I carried all that crap on me but all it really did was give me a back ache. As I got older and wiser, I trimmed it to a pair of shears, flashlight and stethescope. Do you really need to carry a BP cuff on your person? Don't you bring a bag with you when you contact a patient?

Keep it light, keep it functional. If you don't use it on every call, you can probably leave it on the ambulance until you do.

Thanks guys. I'm going to buy a pair of BDU style pants. Then put the BP cuff in there. I just don't want to forget anything in a bag because sometimes when my mind gets going I am less worried about my stuff and more worried about clocking out after a shift that made me cry in pain.

Thanks guys. I'm going to buy a pair of BDU style pants. Then put the BP cuff in there. I just don't want to forget anything in a bag because sometimes when my mind gets going I am less worried about my stuff and more worried about clocking out after a shift that made me cry in pain.

Andrew, if your EMS shift causes you to cry - in pain or anything else - maybe you should also consider other possible professions. It's not going to get better when you're older and if you try to "suck it up" you'll wind up injured or just one of those nasty bastids in EMS we all shake our head about.

You're young! Explore other options before you find yourself a 45 year old with a bad back dreading every day at work.

sueg likes this

Andrew, if your EMS shift causes you to cry - in pain or anything else - maybe you should also consider other possible professions. It's not going to get better when you're older and if you try to "suck it up" you'll wind up injured or just one of those nasty bastids in EMS we all shake our head about.

You're young! Explore other options before you find yourself a 45 year old with a bad back dreading every day at work.

Velcromedic is right buddy, you need to re-evaluate your career choice.

I worked ems for 12 years, and still volunteer since '92 and I have learned a few things. One of those things is what I need on my person and what I dont. In the beginning I carried the contents of a small BLS trauma bag on me, either in my pants pockets or coat or belt pouches...similar to a battle belt (or buff belt, however you see it).

At the end, I carried a scope around my neck, glove pouch always stocked with at least 2 pairs or more of gloves, pen light and shears in my BDU pocket. You dont need to carry anything else on your person. Make it a habbit to have a well stocked "First-In" bag with your BP equipment, suction, BVM's, airways, bandaging, and other essentials. When you get off the rig you grab that bag and go in.

I also knew a Paramedic in my volunteer squad who carried a "Buff Belt" with his trauma tools, CPR mask, "D" cell flashlight, even had an ammunition pouch that he held his airways and lube in...I stayed away from him. ;)

I want to know why you think you need to have all that stuff at the ready? None of that stuff EVER saved a life. Unless you use the BP cuff as a tourniquet. Seriously, listen to the wisdom of the group.

Remember585 likes this

No no not like that. I have been in EMS for 2 years and I love it. Also, being an EMT will not be a profession for me. Just what if I get the old lady who took a fall hit her head and is crapping out. Of course that shift is going to make me cry. Emotional tears not stressful ones. We can't save everyone.

Maybe I am just being more worrisome than anything of losing things so that probably is my biggest problem. New hire jitters.

I have been in EMS for 13 years. The only thing I carry on my person is a pen and a watch with a second hand (not digital). Everything else goes in the bag. I understand the new hire jitters, I was new once too. Keep calm and carry on. That's all you have to do. Put your name on your gear and f need be, get a small jump bag to keep it in.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

Here is what I keep on my person... (Fire Based so I still have to bunker up)

Blackhawk Riggers Belt:

Leatherman in a pouch on my left hip

small latex glove pouch on my tailbone

benchmade rescue hook on my right hip

and my leather radio strap with my radio and pager attached with a small LED "tactical" flashlight

Personal stethoscope, BP cuff, diagnostic equipment and stuff like that I keep in a small "navy tool bag" under my seat in the engine since I am the lead medic.

I wear regular pants and have never had an issue. I have the option to wear tactical pants but they look weird with class B shirts haha.

Hopefully you aren't treating someone and start to worry about clocking out. You would think being a big boy now you could account for your stuff before you leave work.

Think I found a pretty good solution that will work for me. The Meret PPE EMS ProPack so I will be buying that. Just to keep things neat and not buy another pair of pants.

With my BDU style pants, right lower pocket are my narcs. (my per-diem agency requires we carry them) Left lower pocket is my DOK kit.

Front upper pockets, sometimes loose change, if I have any

Back left pocket, my cert cards and ID. back right pocket small bill fold with a few bucks for snacks, coffee etc.

On my belt, a small LED flashlight and a multitool. I found both come in handy in places. And maybe the portable radio, depends on my partner.

uniform shirt pocket, left side my cell phone, right side a notepad and a pen.

The rest of the stuff goes in my response bag. Thats all.

I do not carry a folding tac knife, nor a huge mag light type flash light. Also do not carry scissors scope or BP cuff, again thats all in my response bag. Except the knife and mag light, I do not have them at all.

Oh yeah, one more thing I know some carry an IV start kit in their pockets, I do not, again that is in my response bag. Where it should be.

I carry a pen, everything else should be in your gear if you check it properly.

I have to agree with everyones post. We all get nervous or buffed out in the beginning, it could be EMS.POLICE, and FIRE. In the beginning you will carry everthing to start your own hospital, then after awhile you will end up carring only a pen, if that. Your main concern is the job at hand and keep your self calm and think before you react. As you know all calls are different in nature, the last think you need is 20 pounds of extra s*** aroungd your waist or in your pockets.Whe I did EMS I buffed it out in the beginning, until all the crap I carried got in the way or fell out of my pants and belt, Your most important tool is your portable radio. Safety first for you and your crew