Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

23rd St Fire.....12 LODD's on this date in 1966

7 posts in this topic

23rd Street Collapse (The Secret List)

Thursday, October 17, 2013 All,

Today is the anniversary of the 23rd Street Fire that took place on October 17, 1966. Firefighters from the FDNY responded to a fire at 7 East 22nd Street entered a building at 6 East 23rd Street as part of an effort to fight the fire.

Twelve members of every rank, from a probationary Firefighter to a Deputy Chief, made the Supreme Sacrifice when the ground floor of the store collapsed. The fire originated in a basement storage area, which was concealed by a four-inch thick cinderblock wall illegally constructed by the building’s previous owner.

It was the largest loss of life in the department's history until the collapse and murders at the World Trade Center in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. R.I.P.

MORE HERE:

http://www.nyfd.com/history/23rd_street/23rd_street.html

Take Care-Be Careful-Pass It On.

BillyG

The Secret List 10-17-13/ 0952 hours

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

sfrd18 likes this

I remember reading somewhere that the floor of the store was covered in concrete and tile, and that the members may not have known that the wooden floor beams that supported it had burned through.

A tragedy, may they all rest in peace.

x635 and sfrd18 like this

I remember reading somewhere that the floor of the store was covered in concrete and tile, and that the members may not have known that the wooden floor beams that supported it had burned through.

A tragedy, may they all rest in peace.

You are correct the terrazo floor provided an insulating effect. Additionally the seat of the fire was in the basement that extended under the rear of the store from the building around the corner and was not accessible from 23rd St. so the members were having great difficulty accessing the fire which allowed it to burn unchecked and ultimatly bring the beams to failure.

x635 and sfrd18 like this

Went to the funeral at St.Patrick's and to see the Avenue packed with people and the endless sea of blue representing Fire Fighters from seemly all over the world was amazing, the unforgettable sight of the coffins coming down Fifth Ave in formation on brand new Mack pumpers has stayed with me to this day.

For students of Firefighting much can be learned from this fire. There is a book out "23rd Street Fire " well worth the read

sfrd18, x635 and firecapt32 like this

it should be noted that Engine 16 and Ladder 7 still do a mass and small ceremony each year. They truly don't forget and are a class act.

sfrd18 likes this