markmets415

Wassaic 69-51 Light Rescue

57 posts in this topic

Do you guys have lifting Vetter airbags?

We do not have airbags

We do not have airbags

Is there a reason why? Just curious because most departments with your kind of setup have them.

Is there a reason why? Just curious because most departments with your kind of setup have them.

Anemia and Wassaic are in the same town and their station is three miles from ours and they have air bags, also our neighbors to the South, Dover (JHK) have them as well

I like the truck for it's receiver hitches around 3 sides. Is the winch used as your primary stabilization point for vehicles? Point being, that's good. But were you aware that you can purchase at a cheap cost EYE HOOKS that slide into your receiver's? These EYE HOOKS can be used for multiple purposes. First is 1 person set-up. Second they take up very little space. Third pull the receiver pin, place in the EYE HOOK and re-pin. Takes about 10 seconds. Then purchase 25'-2" TOW STRAPS. Purchase Ratchet Straps also 2" with straps with HOOKS on both ends. Tow strap is connected multiple way's quickly at the receiver EYE HOOK. Ratchet strap attaches to the strap. Then finish off with another Tow Strap at the vehicle to be stabilized. Smaller straps can also be used to drape over vehicle tires that are on the high side of the vehicle on it's side and connect to Ratchet Strap. These straps can be utilized to tie off to other apparatus, trees, guardrails. poles, buildings and what ever else you can think of to stabilize unstable vehicles. Especially if you can't get the rescue close enough for stabilization work.

All these items are available at your local AUTO PARTS STORE. Ask to see their catalogs. The tensile strength of these straps are amazing better then CHAINS. Different set-up options are printed on the Tow Straps and the set-ups vary your working load limit's. Just roll up the straps and store. THEY DON'T RUST. THEY ARE LIGHT. THEY CAN BE CLEANED. TAKE UP LITTLE STORAGE SPACE. YOU CAN VISUALLY INSPECT THEM FOR DAMAGE. EASILY REPLACED. MULTIPLE USES. NO NOISE LIKE CHAINS MAKE. COME IN MULTIPLE WIDTH'S and SIZES.

Lets say you have 1 vehicle on top of the other. Use the Tow Straps and Ratchet Straps to bind the 2 vehicles together. Great for vehicles down embankments, preventing them from sliding further. And of course, make up multiple sets in milk crates. Keep it on the Transverse tray. What I like the best are milk crates are cheap. USUALLY FREE if you know where to look. 1 rescue tech. can carry numerous crates at a time.

Time how long it takes to set-up your winch. That is, REALITY TIME. Start to finish.

markmets415 and x129K like this

I like the truck for it's receiver hitches around 3 sides. Is the winch used as your primary stabilization point for vehicles? Point being, that's good. But were you aware that you can purchase at a cheap cost EYE HOOKS that slide into your receiver's? These EYE HOOKS can be used for multiple purposes. First is 1 person set-up. Second they take up very little space. Third pull the receiver pin, place in the EYE HOOK and re-pin. Takes about 10 seconds. Then purchase 25'-2" TOW STRAPS. Purchase Ratchet Straps also 2" with straps with HOOKS on both ends. Tow strap is connected multiple way's quickly at the receiver EYE HOOK. Ratchet strap attaches to the strap. Then finish off with another Tow Strap at the vehicle to be stabilized. Smaller straps can also be used to drape over vehicle tires that are on the high side of the vehicle on it's side and connect to Ratchet Strap. These straps can be utilized to tie off to other apparatus, trees, guardrails. poles, buildings and what ever else you can think of to stabilize unstable vehicles. Especially if you can't get the rescue close enough for stabilization work.

All these items are available at your local AUTO PARTS STORE. Ask to see their catalogs. The tensile strength of these straps are amazing better then CHAINS. Different set-up options are printed on the Tow Straps and the set-ups vary your working load limit's. Just roll up the straps and store. THEY DON'T RUST. THEY ARE LIGHT. THEY CAN BE CLEANED. TAKE UP LITTLE STORAGE SPACE. YOU CAN VISUALLY INSPECT THEM FOR DAMAGE. EASILY REPLACED. MULTIPLE USES. NO NOISE LIKE CHAINS MAKE. COME IN MULTIPLE WIDTH'S and SIZES.

Lets say you have 1 vehicle on top of the other. Use the Tow Straps and Ratchet Straps to bind the 2 vehicles together. Great for vehicles down embankments, preventing them from sliding further. And of course, make up multiple sets in milk crates. Keep it on the Transverse tray. What I like the best are milk crates are cheap. USUALLY FREE if you know where to look. 1 rescue tech. can carry numerous crates at a time.

Time how long it takes to set-up your winch. That is, REALITY TIME. Start to finish.

Keep it coming, great use of the receivers and surely more efficient, seems to be also a good point of anchor for rope work as well.

Edited by markmets415

There has to me more of you out there that run rescues that have a lot to offer or add here, so please add away, your input is greatly appreciated.

How many SCBA's are carried on the truck? Do you need to carry a PPF on the unit? Driver side above the Transverse, what is stored there? What low angle or high angle rope equipment do you carry? Water rescue equipment?

How many SCBA's are carried on the truck? Do you need to carry a PPF on the unit? Driver side above the Transverse, what is stored there? What low angle or high angle rope equipment do you carry? Water rescue equipment?

there are 2 SCBA, drivers side front compartment there currently is a PPV fan, hand tools, above there are a few ladder belts, rescue collar for water/ice rescue, four reels of water rope, four throw bags and four cold water rescue suits, we do not have any low or high angle rope or equipment at this point, definitely lacking in that area and an area that obviously needs improvement, we had just spoke about that very fact over the weekend and getting updated training there, there are very few of us that has attended any type of rope rescue training.

The generator and long boards and stoke baskets are in this compartment low, my thought was to have slide out trays installed over the generator area and long boards which would make better use of that dead area, see the area circles in orange. Also replacing the lightboxes with smaller more efficient LED flashlights as well would free up the front wall of this compartment. The compartment lighting is at the top of the opening to each compartment which takes up about 4" of height, an upgrade to LED strip lighting inside the inner tracks of the doors would also help too (lights circles in yellow) *Note* the PPV fan will be moved soon to our tanker as soon as the small electric fan returns from the powder coat shop.

post-16297-0-17231100-1382365455.jpg

Edited by markmets415

Why do you have to carry any fan on the unit? Your a light rescue, not a heavy or fire support truck. I love the Amkus Hydraulic set-up and wouldn't change a thing. I can guarantee your tools mounts are in great shape. Just check for any cracks in the welds and have then re-welded if needed. I also noted 2 SCBA's in the right rear compartment and 1 in a bag on the driver rear????? Do you carry any Air Tools? I would also re-look at those FERNO what you might call STOKES Baskets. They really aren't STOKES Baskets for rope rescue. They are called Carrying Baskets. Not designed for rope work. Look at the information that comes with the baskets. Has to do with the frame of the basket. Not WELDED. Re-place with JUNKIN STOKES BASKETS. Junkin Stokes can also handle the weight of those OBESE PATIENTS. Check the ratings.

markmets415 likes this

Maybe a correction on the Ferno Basket. The new one's maybe designed for rope rescue. Please re-check the info. They're weight rating however is I believe 500lbs. Junkin is 1200lbs rating.

markmets415 likes this

I truly think rhino lining is the best coating for everything. You could probably use it on cribbing too. Its grippy and protects the wood. I use that s*** on everything and it has not failed yet.

Ed Harvey and markmets415 like this

As I follow the pics and thread this little rig has more equipment on it than most of the so called heavy rescues that all the Westchester departments feel like they have to run in order to be relevant. That's a cool rig just the way it is. With a little reworking and a new chassis or motor it'll be even better.

Without a doubt, ten pounds of rescue equipment in a five pound bag....

markmets415 likes this

Why do you have to carry any fan on the unit? Your a light rescue, not a heavy or fire support truck. I love the Amkus Hydraulic set-up and wouldn't change a thing. I can guarantee your tools mounts are in great shape. Just check for any cracks in the welds and have then re-welded if needed. I also noted 2 SCBA's in the right rear compartment and 1 in a bag on the driver rear????? Do you carry any Air Tools? I would also re-look at those FERNO what you might call STOKES Baskets. They really aren't STOKES Baskets for rope rescue. They are called Carrying Baskets. Not designed for rope work. Look at the information that comes with the baskets. Has to do with the frame of the basket. Not WELDED. Re-place with JUNKIN STOKES BASKETS. Junkin Stokes can also handle the weight of those OBESE PATIENTS. Check the ratings.

The reason for the fan is we've down sized our apparatus and this unit is in fact a support vehicle at times, last spring we had two Engines and are down to one, which will be the new CAFS pumper in the other thread on here. With that said the rescue runs on CO calls, thus the meter and SCBA so there have been occasions that this was all was needed for a CO call and with the fan we can provide ventilation if needed, also there was room for the small box fan so why not place it where it can be used instead of leaving in the closet at the station because of the lost storage space with the reduction of the one engine. Where you see the current large gas PPV fan is where all the water rope is usually stored, the small box fan is stored on the top shelve in the center over the wheel compartment, again until the new engine gets here (hopefully tomorrow) some items have been moved around.

The black bag you mentioned does not hold another SCBA, it is what we use to hold the Paratech struts, straps and plates, this is one of the things that needs to be setup different as I mentioned at the beginning of the topic and is on the list of changes, the two rear side compartments will be reworked to accommodate the equipment we've purchased in the years since the rig was purchased, along with other compartments as we move forward with this project which should start hopefully in early 2014.

There is an air hammer with various chisels, this may be moved to the Engine, that is something that the current officers need to decide.

I will check to see the rating on the baskets

Edited by markmets415

As I follow the pics and thread this little rig has more equipment on it than most of the so called heavy rescues that all the Westchester departments feel like they have to run in order to be relevant. That's a cool rig just the way it is. With a little reworking and a new chassis or motor it'll be even better. Without a doubt, ten pounds of rescue equipment in a five pound bag....

Thanks, yes it is, we are researching the Ford bullet proof option that is out there for the motor, currently the motor is fine and running strong and has only 7000 miles on it, personally it's a toss up if the chassis needs to be replaced or not at this point, I'm not convinced it does, at this point I am concentrating on getting the compartments reworked and give the board of fire commissioners the options, how they want to proceed with the project will be their call, in the end it will come down to money and how much they are willing to spend from the reserve fund, elections are coming soon and there are there will be two vacant seats on the board and the current Fire Chief is not running and we will have new fire officers, changes on both fronts and with the new blood, it may change the direction of this project.

Edited by markmets415

Mark, can you provide a picture of the roof with the tower nested? One of 2 things I've noticed are the backboards and storage of the stokes. If you keep the stokes where they are take the backboards and slide them into the stokes. You should be able to keep 2 or 3 backboards within the stokes. You will free up a lot of room. A possibility would also be to have a small compartment built the width behind the cab and located on the box roof. Pictures will tell. May also make your clearance in the building. Rescue 1 can take measurement's, build the Compartment at minimal time and call for the unit for installation. Down time minimal. I also notice that the unit carries extra SCBA bottles? Why not use 1 of those bottles and mount a TOOL REGULATOR with air hose for your AIR TOOLS? Keep the rescue tools on the rescue unit. DO NOT split between vehicles. My concern is your CO response. 2 or 3 firefighter's may fit in your cab, but what about 2 in 2 out for safety when utilizing your PAK's?

markmets415 likes this

Mark, can you provide a picture of the roof with the tower nested? One of 2 things I've noticed are the backboards and storage of the stokes. If you keep the stokes where they are take the backboards and slide them into the stokes. You should be able to keep 2 or 3 backboards within the stokes. You will free up a lot of room. A possibility would also be to have a small compartment built the width behind the cab and located on the box roof. Pictures will tell. May also make your clearance in the building. Rescue 1 can take measurement's, build the Compartment at minimal time and call for the unit for installation. Down time minimal. I also notice that the unit carries extra SCBA bottles? Why not use 1 of those bottles and mount a TOOL REGULATOR with air hose for your AIR TOOLS? Keep the rescue tools on the rescue unit. DO NOT split between vehicles. My concern is your CO response. 2 or 3 firefighter's may fit in your cab, but what about 2 in 2 out for safety when utilizing your PAK's?

The light tower is nested directly over the center compartment between the second A in Wassaic and the T at the end of District, (see photo below outlined in black). There are extra bottles carried in the tilt out box behind the SCBA but the day I took the photos the Lieutenant had them off to record the bottle info from, that compartment as stated will most likely be reworked and made higher and the SCBA most likely moved to another location, there looks to be ample space on the passengers side to make a wheel well compartment to hold the spare bottles or other things such as flares, etc. There is a tool regulator and hose with the air hammer.

As far as the CO response an Engine is also dispatched but being it is out of service and we are awaiting the new Engine our Tanker is dispatched and has packs on it as well but there is no room to place the fan at this point (very limited compartment space, see photos below), once the Engine arrives things shall be back to "normal" as far as what goes to what calls, the reality is at this point equipment is here and there and not ideally located under normal circumstances.

post-16297-0-68787100-1382458477.jpg

post-16297-0-76172400-1382456183.jpg

post-16297-0-60244100-1382457457.jpg

photo courtesy of Ed Harvey

Edited by markmets415
x635, Ed Harvey and EmsFirePolice like this

You have rope on a reel? I hope it is used for utility?. And it is stored in a compartment with gasoline powered tools....you might want to invest in rope bags and dedicate a better compartment.

You have rope on a reel? I hope it is used for utility?. And it is stored in a compartment with gasoline powered tools....you might want to invest in rope bags and dedicate a better compartment.

Please read back a few posts and you will see that the rope has been there for one week and why is it there, the new engine is coming tomorrow and the rope will be placed back in its normal space where the PPV currently sits, things we moved around because of compartment space or better put lack of with the departure of the other engine. What is wrong with the rope being on a reel? It is used to attach to our cold water rescue suits for ice rescue operations.

For some other points of view on this truck check it out working at JHK Hose Co,'s extrication contest back in 2004.

http://www.fireservicephotography.com/10_2004/100904/image287.html

Thanks Ed for adding the link, much appreciated, in the photos the firefighters in the yellow gear are from Amenia and ours are in the blue gear

Edited by markmets415
x4093k likes this

the new engine is coming tomorrow

FINALLY!

The rescue fits a ton for it's size, glad to see your dept updating your rigs.

Looking forward to seeing photos of 69-12s long awaited delivery!

Edited by x4093k

looks like this one died out, thanks everyone for the input, it's greatly appreciated and welcomed

OK the fire district is again on us to move on this project, you guys have given some great advise, it looks as though the fire district wants us to remount the current body/box on a new Ford F-550 extended cab, any input on how we make this unit a better piece looking forward please share, thanks in advance!

Westfield12 likes this

If you guys have room,have a small foam system would cut down use of the engines. Say 69-51 is O/S of a car accident,and the car involved catches fire, drag a line and use the foam system to extinguish the fire.

Edited by suffernH&Lbuff
markmets415 and Westfield12 like this

If you guys have room,have a small foam system would cut down use of the engines. Say 69-51 is O/S of a car accident,and the car involved catches fire, drag a line and use the foam system to extinguish the fire.

Been chatting with Firematic on concept they are putting on the demo unit they are currently building, they are placing a jockey pump so the unit can be pump and roll, we are moving towards a re chassis at this point and re-working the compartments and possibly taking off the 15W generator as all the lights be upgraded to LED and we are researching an alternate power supply to run the hydraulic pump and tools

Westfield12 likes this

Nothing new, project placed on hold, new Chief vehicle should be here within a month and the fire district passed a LOSAP program in August 2014 so with us being a small company with a limited budget this has been placed on the back burner most likely to be revisited in early 2016

Westfield12 likes this