Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheNewLadder32

Status Of FDNY's KME Engines

8 posts in this topic

What's the status of the KME engines that the FDNY is supposed to be receiving?

KME is developing a completely new cab for FDNY, and their are two currently on the line. One for a prototype, and one for crash testing. KME has the ability to deliver on this contract and has already invested a lot into it. There is a lot of frustration and speculation going on in various circles because there are a lot of engines that need replacing, but once the prototype is approved in the next few weeks, deliveries will start and go quite quickly. I don't think FDNY or KME wants to rush through the process, and is very exacting throughout the process. They also want this to be the safest cab yet, hence one prototype being sent out for crash testing, which wasn't in the contract, but KME insisted on it, especially being that it is a new cab and a split tilt one at that. However, both sides understand their are engines overdue for replacement.

The final drawings will not be signed off on by FDNY until the prototype is completed and evaluated. When you are ordering 92 engines, you want things done right the first time, and not have major flaws to correct one every piece delivered due to a design error or overlook. A lot rides on them getting it right the first time with 92 Engines to build. FDNY loves Seagrave and they've done a ton of good by the city, and FDNY is going to put KME through the ringer. They want an EXACT twin to Seagrave's product, but can not step on any of Seagrave or Ferrara patents.

Late Fall 2013 was the TENTATIVE date when the contract was officially signed less then a year ago in January 2013. You must also consider other factors, like the component vendors (pump, engine, transmission, buttons, dials, gauges, etc) providing KME with their product in a timely manner. FDNY has had several issues with Seagrave and other vendor orders as well in the past, so a delay would be nothing new or isolated to only KME. Again, this is a brand new custom designed chassis for FDNY.

BTW, the KME Severe Service Predator was custom designed for the Los Angeles County FD, one of the largest fire departments in the country and uses exclusively KME Engines and Ladders. In 2006, they filled one order for 96 Engines and 8 tillered quints, and have delivered numerous pieces of apparatus in the past several years. This FDNY order isn't their first rodeo, and they have the capacity to mass produce..

M' Ave and CFFD117 like this

Thank you so much x635 for the descriptive explanation to what is happening i really appreciate it. I understand that this is big for them and I understand taking there time with this as I would want all my Engines to be in top quality as well. Best of luck to them Fdny and Kme. Thanks again

I would expect to see pics of the first of the two split tilt cabs for the FDNY order to start circulating soon, the cabs are well underway.

As 635 stated, KME has filled large orders for LA City and LA County.

The body is not the challenge, the cab design and requirements have been the delay.

La County fire has over 200 KME's. La City fire is new to KME with 23 already in service with 11 more on order. KME is also trying for LAFD Tiller order. Looking forward to see how FDNY rigs will look.

Much as my rig needs replacing.....I hope they take all the time necessary. The Ferrara order was disastrous. Believe the hype.....they are a nightmare. The cab is well laid out and the body is okay......but the endless stream of necessary repairs is mind blowing. They are junk, soup to nuts. There are issues related to both design flaws causing failures as well as issues stemming from poor workmanship.

Much as my rig needs replacing.....I hope they take all the time necessary. The Ferrara order was disastrous. Believe the hype.....they are a nightmare. The cab is well laid out and the body is okay......but the endless stream of necessary repairs is mind blowing. They are junk, soup to nuts. There are issues related to both design flaws causing failures as well as issues stemming from poor workmanship.

I read from different sites about the many issues you guys are having with the ladders. I recall hearing that the first batch was plagued with issues that were supposedly resolved in subsequent batches. I guess these issues are still appearing. There were reports of the Ferrara mechanics taking their time fixing things (true or not, based on what I've heard)