Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryguy12fd

Plattekill (Ulster) FD Rollover

16 posts in this topic

Engine rollover on the way to an MVA. Information is sketchy at best right now.

5 MOS injured.

Edited by ryguy12fd

Tonight @ 21:00 the Plattekill Fire Department was dispatched for a PIAA on the NYS Thruway at mile marker 71.1 South Bound. Car 1, Car 3, Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 4, 645 and 47-36 where all responding when @ 21:11 We were advised that Engine 4 was involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident, roll over with entrapment.

I have a been some sort of a chief officer for 13 years now, in the fire service for 21 years and never once did I instantly feel like I was going to vomit while responding to an incident...not until last night. I can tell you there are so many things that are going through your head after receiving an alarm involving your own...

What do I do? Whom do I call? How difficult is the extrication? What Happened? What did they hit? Who is in the truck? But the toughest question, the one that still rings in my head is "Are they alive?"

I will not speak of specifics. I will not release the details of this incident and I will let the authorities finish their investigation. But what I can tell you, 4 of the 5 firefighters have been released. Engine 4 is a total loss and the definition of brotherhood was re-taught to me through the actions of area fire departments and fire departments through out the state.

Cronomer Valley whom handled the incident...Thank you!!! Your professionalism went a long way tonight. You are our brothers and for you I am thankful. With out getting into every department that has reached out to us, because I can guarantee someone with be forgotten, whether it be at either at our stations or through phone calls, I had 132 missed calls, Thank you!!! Never have I had such an out pouring of support just for us.

I ask you, do you know what it is like to have to sit at the back of your vehicle trying to coordinate different responses while your Firefighters need YOUR help? Not something I EVER want to handle again.

For years we instill into our memberships heads...Seat belts, seat belts, SEAT BELTS... and on November 2nd 2013 @ 21:11, those seat belts saved their lives.

At St. Francis Hospital...the support continued. Fairview, Roosevelt, Arlington Fire Departments, with Engines, and Lisa Gardner, whom provided me with very informative updates, met the inbound ambulances to assist with ANYTHING we needed, ANYTHING. Tears is the word that best described how I was after I was notified of your support! I cant say thank you because thank you doesn't cover your actions. I owe you... period.

At 1:21 we called back in service, My membership continuing to want to help the community, knowing that what we seen tonight could have been completely different.

We will continue serving the community, we are Plattekill. We ARE Plattekill Strong.

I ask no one post NO Photos or post no details until the investigation is complete and I approve of such postings.

Thank you Everyone.

Chief Christopher Mancuso

LTNRFD, bifd09, Rayman0784 and 22 others like this

Well said Chris, I hope all are able to recover. If you guys need any assistance we are her for you.

Jim Tompkins

BFD1054 likes this

Tonight @ 21:00 the Plattekill Fire Department was dispatched for a PIAA on the NYS Thruway at mile marker 71.1 South Bound. Car 1, Car 3, Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 4, 645 and 47-36 where all responding when @ 21:11 We were advised that Engine 4 was involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident, roll over with entrapment.

Chief, glad to hear all of your guys are okay and that the departments around you stepped up to the plate to help out your department. Would it be alright to share your update with others off this site?

Chris- im glad to hear everyone is ok!!!! if yall need anything were all just a telephone call away - your friends across the pond.

chris -aka " lake george chef" -chelsea

As a officer my self all I can say is take a sec and put that belt on. The life you save my be the most important one you can save YOUR SELF.

pasobuff likes this

First off,glad to hear everyone is doing ok.Secondly the Chief's comment's were very well expressed in a heartfelt,appreciative manner,expressing what we all would feel if this happened to any of us ,a tip of the hat to him,for being forthcoming and most of all a leader..

The best lesson learned is Seatbelts saves lives... Thank-god they were belted in!

Let's all take a second and remind ourselves that we are not invinsible and wear our seatbelts..

Good job,to all involved..And speedy recovery to the injured...

BFD1054 likes this

Less than 24 hours, and the story is up on firefighter close calls website... Word travels fast.

Less than 24 hours, and the story is up on firefighter close calls website... Word travels fast.

Some jackass posted a picture on facebook last night, as the incident was in progress. That BS drives me up a wall.....EVERYONE WANTS TO BE "THAT GUY" THAT HAS THE SCOOP..the first with information, the first to put up a picture.

I swear to God some of these sick phucks take pleasure in other's misfortune. Brotherhood my ass. Any MOS who exploits other agencies, members, or departments situations has no place in the "Brotherhood".

I am glad the outcome was better than it initially sounded. Get well.

BFD1054, x4093k and billy98988 like this

Some jackass posted a picture on facebook last night, as the incident was in progress. That BS drives me up a wall.....EVERYONE WANTS TO BE "THAT GUY" THAT HAS THE SCOOP..the first with information, the first to put up a picture.

That's the age we live in. It's only going to get worse with technology, not better.

BFD1054 likes this