Yonkers FD New EMS Car 45

22 posts in this topic

Yonkers Fire Department New EMS Truck

Car 45

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4x4/Outfitted by Proliner

post-11-0-12278300-1383934199.jpg

post-11-0-58391000-1383934358.jpg

sfrd18, EmsFirePolice and x4093k like this

That truck is sweet. Hope it serves them well!

I wonder if they are trying to take back some of the ems from empress.. and eventually take it all ?

Honestly why doesn't Yonkers FD take over ems from empress?

YFD Special Operations has a "EMS Trailer" that is used for Medical Emergency Response. Maybe this Chevy Silverado will be used to "Tow" the YFD Special Operations EMS Trailer"

Does anyone within YFD know what the exact purpose of this YFD EMS Truck is?

I wonder if they are trying to take back some of the ems from empress.. and eventually take it all ?

post-80-0-10945200-1383947931.jpg

EmsFirePolice likes this

So what is the propose of this truck? Are they not letting engines responding anymore?

No. Engines are the primary EMS response to EMS runs. This vehicle is assigned to the EMS Officer. It replaces an 11 year old Ford Expedition. The EMS Officer responds to major and unusual incidents or if special called by a Batallion Chief.

Honestly why doesn't Yonkers FD take over ems from empress?

Not even on the radar. Our mission is provide first response EMS and support the transporting agency (Empress) any way we can.

YFD Special Operations has a "EMS Trailer" that is used for Medical Emergency Response. Maybe this Chevy Silverado will be used to "Tow" the YFD Special Operations EMS Trailer"

Does anyone within YFD know what the exact purpose of this YFD EMS Truck is?

We have an MCI trailer, a rehab trailer, a shelter trailer, and others. This vehicle, along with other Field support units, is available to tow these.

No. Engines are the primary EMS response to EMS runs. This vehicle is assigned to the EMS Officer. It replaces an 11 year old Ford Expedition. The EMS Officer responds to major and unusual incidents or if special called by a Batallion Chief.

Is that still Roone?

Radio designation will be "Car 45".

Has yonkers FD ever run EMS in the city? Secondly, in such a large city why don't they? Is there really that much cost savings?

Secondly, in such a large city why don't they? Is there really that much cost savings?

Empress provides EMS for free, and makes money off the billing. The $0 contract was required by the City for the exclusive franchise. The city pays nothing. I'm actually surprised that Yonkers is not a fire based EMS system, and I'm even more surprised that New Rochelle isn't. But both cities look at the dollar signs and aren't going to pay for the expensive upstart and maintenance of an EMS system when they can barely get the money needed for proper firefighter staffing.

Empress provides EMS for free, and makes money off the billing. The $0 contract was required by the City for the exclusive franchise. The city pays nothing. I'm actually surprised that Yonkers is not a fire based EMS system, and I'm even more surprised that New Rochelle isn't. But both cities look at the dollar signs and aren't going to pay for the expensive upstart and maintenance of an EMS system when they can barely get the money needed for proper firefighter staffing.

Empress doesn't do it "for free". They charge their patients, insurance companies, etc. and Yonkers doesn't contribute to support the system.

Nothing is free!

SageVigiles likes this

Is it still 250 bucks for an RMA in Yonkers?

Is it still 250 bucks for an RMA in Yonkers?

Depends on the situation. For example, if the ambulance responded to a diabetic, and administered D50, and the patient became coherent and RMA'd, then they get billed. If you RMA'd, you were, at the least, examined by EMS Personnel and then chose to decline care, then you get billed for that. If you never called or requested an ambulance, and can back that up, it doesn't cost anything and whoever is disputed the cost should contact the billing department. RMA's get billed for $250 and more in other systems as well.

But what does all of this have to do with the new Car 45?

Very Nice looking truck. Looks very similar to the Boss Trucks on My job in the city....I normally wouldn't chime in here but I must say, (with all due respect to the EMTs and Paramedics at Empress, some of whom I've had to pleasure of working with), Yonkers Fire should take over EMS. Both because of citizen safety and Firefighter safety. Speaking of the budget, it would be beneficial for the City of Yonkers Fire to control EMS because then the City would recieve the money from EMS runs. Also, incident command wise and for possible expansion of the Department's Capabilities, it would make sense. Most Career Departments around the country are Fire Based EMS systems. Also for those who believe The PD side should control EMS, I call BS because PD is a Patrol agency, FD is a Responder Agency, FD has more capability to handle the Tiered Response. Lastly but not least, to the Senor Brother Firefighters who don't want the Buses in Quarters with them, thats fine, Just because Fire takes over EMS Doesnt mean the buses need to be in quarters with them. There's other reasons, but I think I've done enough ranting here. All I'm saying is Yonkers Fire should take a look at the way the Brothers just south of them operate.....just my 2 cents Thank You.

pcfpr1 likes this

Depends on the situation. For example, if the ambulance responded to a diabetic, and administered D50, and the patient became coherent and RMA'd, then they get billed. If you RMA'd, you were, at the least, examined by EMS Personnel and then chose to decline care, then you get billed for that. If you never called or requested an ambulance, and can back that up, it doesn't cost anything and whoever is disputed the cost should contact the billing department. RMA's get billed for $250 and more in other systems as well.

But what does all of this have to do with the new Car 45?

So help I've fallen and can't get up, no injuries helped back into a chair and sign a refusal, you get billed?

So help I've fallen and can't get up, no injuries helped back into a chair and sign a refusal, you get billed?

Enough with the thread hijacking, this is about the Car 45 and not RMA Billing so let's end all that here and get back on track. In fact, RMA Billing would probably make for a good topic on it's own if you or another member wants to start one.