x635

Can NYS Board Of Ed Require CPR For High School Graduation?

19 posts in this topic

Does the NYS Board Of Education have the power to require CPR in order to graduate high school? To go even deeper, to require it in the 9th grade on?

I know in some places, it's required to get your drivers license.

Also, are all teachers and all school personnel in NYS required to have CPR/First Aid?

To go even deeper, to require it in the 9th grade on?

Also, are all teachers and all school personnel in NYS required to have CPR/First Aid?

No, and no. Although, it's not uncommon for school to have CPR training offered one day a year for their staff. I know the American Red Cross has recently come out with a fantastic program for faculty as well as students with the cost in mind.

When I was in high school my freshman year we learned CPR in gym class

EMTBrian likes this

I am not sure it should be a requirement but it should be part of health ed class. I did it as part of freshman health ed.

My college had a minimum swimming requirement for graduation.

Does the NYS Board Of Education have the power to require CPR in order to graduate high school? To go even deeper, to require it in the 9th grade on?

I know in some places, it's required to get your drivers license.

Sounds bizarre to me, requirement for graduation obtaining a "Drivers License?" Really? What's wrong with our schools? I believe indeed CPR & First Aid Certification should be a

prerequisite for graduation from High School, as opposed to learning to drive.

Requirement of CPR for a drivers liscence. Not graduation.

Sounds bizarre to me, requirement for graduation obtaining a "Drivers License?" Really? What's wrong with our schools? I believe indeed CPR & First Aid Certification should be a

prerequisite for graduation from High School, as opposed to learning to drive.

Where did you go to school? Or learn how to not read? That is what is bizarre here!

210 likes this

Requirement of CPR for a drivers liscence. Not graduation.

What is so damn important or significant about obtaining a drivers license as being part of graduation? Seriously sounds insane, pathetic and ridiculous. Unless someone can talk

sense into me why it is so important.

What is so damn important or significant about obtaining a drivers license as being part of graduation? Seriously sounds insane, pathetic and ridiculous. Unless someone can talk

sense into me why it is so important.

I think you misunderstood this. Two discussion points: CPR as a requirement for a drivers license **OR** CPR as a requirement for graduation.

No one mentioned a drivers license requirement for graduation, and that's not what this topic is even about..

EMTBrian likes this

I think you misunderstood this. Two discussion points: CPR as a requirement for a drivers license **OR** CPR as a requirement for graduation.

No one mentioned a drivers license requirement for graduation, and that's not what this topic is even about..

Pardon my misunderstanding and not thoroughly reading entire thread. Appreciate the clarification, I stand corrected!

They seem to have to power to set all kinds of benchmarks for graduation, so it would seem to fit that they could require this if they saw fit.

In Kingston High School they require CPR. One of the phys ed classes they have as a requirement to graduate is swimming. In order to pass the class you are required to take CPR.

In Kingston High School they require CPR. One of the phys ed classes they have as a requirement to graduate is swimming. In order to pass the class you are required to take CPR.

Out of curiosity, what about students who are physically unable to swim or perform CPR due to physical limitations?

Out of curiosity, what about students who are physically unable to swim or perform CPR due to physical limitations?

I would imagine that if a student had a physical impairment that prevented the successful completion of the course that their IEP (individual education plan) would make an exemption to it.

Prior to 1980 we had a swimming requirement to get hired in the FD. But the federal courts determined that that was discriminatory against minorities so it was removed.

Prior to 1980 we had a swimming requirement to get hired in the FD. But the federal courts determined that that was discriminatory against minorities so it was removed.

OK, this may hijack the thread, but I will bite....on what grounds?

OK, this may hijack the thread, but I will bite....on what grounds?

You would have to ask the federal judge. I suspect he believed that minorities could not swim so they had a harder time getting hired.

billy98988 likes this

Excellent question. While I don't know the solid answer I would think it would be provisions made similar to anyone else that can't participate in phys ed due to the same.