Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

FDNY "Teflon Recruit" Story

28 posts in this topic

Every bit of this story is true. The Post is a rag, and a story like this about 1 person is a little rough, but it's a 100% true. There's a lot of men out there who couldn't complete the run and are not employed by this job.....

JBJ1202 and x129K like this

What is sad, that few are pointing out is passing unqualified probies (in addition to the disservice to the dept & the citizens) is the risk to the probie is increased. If something happens to this person, it maybe because they were handed a job, that they were not qualified for.

SmokeyJoe, M' Ave, tglass59 and 1 other like this

So if the city wants to play it that way, I would get EVERY male and female that failed and aren't hired, file a class action discrimination case, and make the city pay.

I'm not saying these people should be hired, but they can take the city for money if they think its funny to play number games.

ks1980 and x129K like this

I totally agree with newsbuff. Thoese who failed the p/t test prior should sue! Sadly they won't and this will most likely continue, and set a president. Just like the current probie class. It's totally bull what is going on. Yes anybody that has failed isn't on the job, and this sorry excuse shouldnt be on either! It sets a bad example and worse reputation for our sisters in the fire service. They gave her what 5 God dam chances, total bs and WTF.

So why even give tests, or have p/t standards or any standards at all? Keep lowering the standards and making excuses, then we will have piss poor people that don't belong. There is a very good reason why traditionally the fire service takes a certain person and why there is a few of other types( if you get what I am saying).

Total Crap

Welcome to Bill de Blasio's NYC. Just wait to see what comes next!

I don't like diBlasio......but take it easy with the Fox News style rhetoric. I mean.....this has nothing to do with him, he was elected 6 days ago.

SageVigiles and bad box like this

I don't like diBlasio......but take it easy with the Fox News style rhetoric. I mean.....this has nothing to do with him, he was elected 6 days ago.

Dude, this has everything to do with him and his agenda, which is shared by many powerful folks in NYC and NYS. De Blasio's agenda takes PC to an entirely new level, and this is but a taste of what is likely to follow.

Mark my words: law enforcement and emergency services are going to suffer greatly in this new administration, especially given that their agenda is supported by the same judges behind this class at the Rock!

fire2141, SmokeyJoe and AFS1970 like this

This is not a problem that's isolated to FDNY or NYC, departments nationwide are struggling with these types of hiring issues.

Frank Lima, Fire Captain with the Los Angeles Fire Department, claimed that he was discriminated against and retaliated against because he failed to treat women differently and in a disparate manner. Specifically, Lima was reprimanded by his employer for failing to accommodate a female firefighter recruit who tried and failed to perform a training exercise involving a 35-foot ladder. The recruit later claimed that she was injured at the time but did not tell Lima that she was not physically able to perform the training exercise at the time because of the injury. She did claim that she was humiliated by Lima. Lima claimed that he was told by a supervisor during a May 2005 Board of Rights hearing that he should treat women differently and in a disparate manner because it was difficult to recruit and retain female firefighters.

Source and full article: http://www.adversity.net/lafd/default.htm

I don't like the NY Post and their sensationalism and twisting facts, so I'm going to reserve judgment about this situation until I read about it from a source I trust. I don't doubt the story, I don't like articles where 95% of the "facts" presented are from unnamed sources. I'd like them to at least publish a firm fact on how many other probies in her class failed out because of the running time, and how they didn't get as many chances as her. Many of those guys aren't going to speak out about her getting extra chances because they want to be able to get back into the next academy per procedure.

M' Ave likes this

Heard that she is protected by a certain fitness unit boss. Hint. He may have not have spent much time in the field

Right....that j-off....

Dude, this has everything to do with him and his agenda, which is shared by many powerful folks in NYC and NYS. De Blasio's agenda takes PC to an entirely new level, and this is but a taste of what is likely to follow.

Mark my words: law enforcement and emergency services are going to suffer greatly in this new administration, especially given that their agenda is supported by the same judges behind this class at the Rock!

.....wait, how again does the new mayor, elected Tuesday, have anything to do with a Proby not being fired 6 months ago? Also, there is only 1 judge responsible for this class of quota hires. That said, Bill diBlasio is bad news and we're in for scary times in NYC. I definitely am concerned for the PC wave that's washing over this kindergarten country.

Let's all hold back a little....I mean this article quoted the FDNY Rant website. Gee, nothing says reliable source like quoting anonymous web rantings.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

while we all have to be careful of our sources, if this were not true there would have been an official denial in the newspapers and the Post would have had to print it or look very bad in a market where print media is already suffering. While unnamed sources are a problem, being a municipal employee I can completely understand why someone would be such a source, when there are rules in place about who can talk to the media and what they can say. Sometimes these sources are not legitimate, but often they are.

This really ticks me off it's already extremely hard for females in this field to get respect and now any of us trying to get on pretty much any department will be looked down on that much more.

velcroMedic1987 and Newburgher like this

You are right, Amelia, and know why. Because of situations just like this. Woman firefighters should be more upset than anyone by stunts like this with Brass pandering to the courts and politicians. And I pray to God that this misfit doesn't end up in my company (or division) as I worry about those who may end up having to depend upon her.

Respect has to be earned it cannot be bought or given away by a judge. This mut shouldn't been passed along like a politicians dirty dollar bill.

I wish more women firefighters would speak up about this. It doesn't matter to me what someone's skin color is, where they came from, what religion they are, or whether they're male or female. What matters is being able to do the job and if you can't do it then you should be treated like everyone else. I'm sorry to be rude but she should not have been allowed to graduate.

Am I the only one who finds the fact that the article (and FDNY on the whole) refers to the transition from EMT or Paramedic to firefighter as a "Promotion" equally bothersome, if not more so, than the main subject of the article?

x635 likes this

Am I the only one who finds the fact that the article (and FDNY on the whole) refers to the transition from EMT or Paramedic to firefighter as a "Promotion" equally bothersome, if not more so, than the main subject of the article?

Unless I am mistaken it is administered by DCAS as a promotional exam, as opposed to an open competitive exam. Hence the use of the term. I believe I see your problem with it, that EMS is considered a stepping stone as opposed to a separate career track. But personally it doesn't bother me at all, especially when the article is exposing the fact that standards are being lowered for a select group of people in a way that has a negative effect on the safety of those on the fireground.

Edited by SageVigiles

Unless I am mistaken it is administered by DCAS as a promotional exam, as opposed to an open competitive exam. Hence the use of the term. I believe I see your problem with it, that EMS is considered a stepping stone as opposed to a separate career track. But personally it doesn't bother me at all, especially when the article is exposing the fact that standards are being lowered for a select group of people in a way that has a negative effect on the safety of those on the fireground.

If EMT/Paramedic->Firefighter isn't supposed to be seen as a promotion, then why isn't there a Firefighter->EMT/Paramedic Promotional exam?

Don't get me wrong, the implications of appointing an unqualified firefighter are terrifying, and I fear for those that have to work with this recruit.

The EMS test is considered a promotion from EMS to the FDNY Fire Dept., since they are 2 separate divisions of FDNY. There is no exam for FDNY to EMS. Not going to get into politics here but most use EMS as a stepping into the FDNY since a promotion list is used first or in conjunction with an open competitive list.

SageVigiles likes this

Yeah, I think you may in fact be the only one. If you can read that entire article and the only thing you find troubling is how the city labels the test rather than wholly unqualified candidates being pushed into the field then I question your priorities. Who cares what it's called? People take it, pass it, and they leave EMS and come to the suppression side. You could call it a demotion and the same people would still take it, call it a transfer, same. EMS in the city is a tough and sometimes thankless job and as a result the attrition rate is extremely high.

Many people who see EMS as a career do not like the fact that it's called a promotion. I think many are aware that by the very nature of how civil service stuff works in the city it has to be called a promotion. Still, they don't like the fact that their job is seen as and often used as a stepping stone to get into FDNY.

x635 likes this

I know people on here said that FDNY*EMS wasn't a career track position but isn't it?

I mean you can promote EMT->Paramedic->EMS LT.->EMS Capt. etc... and there are special units like HAZ-TAC, Rescue Medics, Dignitary Protection Unit etc.

Yes it's a career path if you want to do EMS as a career. In my opinion it's probably the best place to work if you want to be an EMT or paramedic in the city for more than 2-3 years. Still, many use it to get into FDNY and some people in EMS hate that it's a stepping stone. Some don't really care about that, but still don't like it being called a promotion.

'Unfireable' Female FDNY Firefighter Quits

New York Post

Susan Edelman

November 24, 2013

The female FDNY probie who was allowed to graduate from the Fire Academy without passing a required running test has quit.

Wendy Tapia, 31, resigned Thursday after trying again — her sixth attempt — to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or less, officials said.

“She didn’t make the 12-minute cutoff,” an FDNY spokesman said. “She’ll return back to EMS ranks.”

Latest update is she's back on EMS. Thankfully.

While I'm glad that she is going back to ems this has done some real damage to the credibility of the rest of us trying to do what we love. Like I said in an earlier post I wish female firefighters had been more upset about this. I just really hope that people don't think less of me because of people like her when I finally get my chance to go to an academy.