Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Retired White Plains Cops Challenge Health Care Policy

6 posts in this topic

WHITE PLAINS — They’ll have their day in court.

A federal judge ruled Wednesday that a lawsuit brought by retired White Plains police officers challenging the city’s decision to charge them for health care benefits will continue, overruling the city’s motion to dismiss the case.

U.S. District Judge Cathy Seibel denied the motion and asked lawyers for the city and the retired cops to submit a schedule for discovery applications and affidavits by Dec. 26.

“We’re grateful for the decision,” said attorney Albert Pirro, who is representing more than 100 retired police officers at no charge. “This means that the case will move forward and we live to fight another day.”

http://www.lohud.com/article/20131204/NEWS/312040052/Retired-White-Plains-cops-can-challenge-health-care-contribution-policy-judge-says-video-

While I'm not condeming what the retired police officers are doing and in fact applaud Mr. Pirro for taking this on Pro Bona, I think the situation in Detroit need to serve as a reminder what could ultimately happen.

For those that don't know, the City of Detroit pension recipients are due to get pennies on the dollar as a result of the bankruptcy. While they thought they were protected under state law, it is determined that bankruptcy law superceeds state law.

While I'm not condeming what the retired police officers are doing and in fact applaud Mr. Pirro for taking this on Pro Bona, I think the situation in Detroit need to serve as a reminder what could ultimately happen.

For those that don't know, the City of Detroit pension recipients are due to get pennies on the dollar as a result of the bankruptcy. While they thought they were protected under state law, it is determined that bankruptcy law superceeds state law.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The pension system in NYS (of which White Plains is a participant) is doing quite well and White Plains is not anything like Detroit economically.

This is simply a case of the City going back on their word (of 40+ years). These officers earned this and the current administration is not honoring what was promised.

If White Plains declares bankruptcy we can compare them to Detroit, But they are not even on the states distressed city's list.

I understand it's not a direct comparison. Just illustrating a worst cast senario.

Or maybe I'm being brainwashed be my union with over 3 years of unproductive contract negotiations. I digress.