puszka23

Paid Fire Departments

11 posts in this topic

Good Evening everyone.

My name is Alex.

I live in Westchester County NY.

My questions is regarding Fire tests.

Does any none know of any fire fighter tests that I can take ?

That are coming up soon..

I will travel out of state if I have too..

Also on a side note I heard from a friend that he was paid in the state of California on a volunteer basis. specifically by each call.

I was wondering if I would be able too join a department that pays per call.

thank you for listening.

greatly appreciate any responses.

regards,

Alex

Check with Westchester County personnel dep't for any upcoming fire fighter test that covers paid dep'ts in the towns and villages.

The cities of Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, White Plains hold their own test. Chances of getting hired in one of these cities are slim to none unless you are a resident.

99subi likes this

Virginia Beach will open on-line applications for FF in first week of January See VBgov.com.

BFD1054 likes this

Generally when a test is announced for any of the uniformed services, folks post it in this section, http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/forum/13-emergency-services-employment/

Another website that posts job listings across the country, http://www.911hotjobs.com/

And here is a page that gets updated when any jobs are listed in the state of Connecticut http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/cwp/view.asp?a=831&q=253822, I don't know of any official site like it for New York.

you can also check westchestergov.com. Go to human recourses then to civil service exams then to uniformed exams. The last county town/village/city firefighter test was in March of 2011. Test is given every 4 to 5 years so you can go from there. Municipalities that take off that list are Eastchester, Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Harrison, Rye, Pelham, Larchmont, Port Chester, Fairview, Greenview, Peekskill, and Mohegan Lake. As for volunteer paid as you were talking about I do not know any department in Westchester that does that. Hope this helps!

Edited by ptwatson

City of Ithaca - Firefighter Exam 60-679 - Closing January 16, 2014

**** Residents of Tompkins County ONLY****

for anyone interested PDF attached

pdf.gif Firefighter 60679.pdf 48.81KB 2 downloads

ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS: Applications must be received by the City of Ithaca Human

Resources Department no later than 4:30 PM EST on the last filing date indicated above.

Postmarks are not accepted. All applications must be original applications. We do not accept

faxed applications, electronic applications or photocopies of applications.

APPLICATION MATERIALS REQUIRED: An original City of Ithaca application, copy of high

school transcript or GED, driver license, Affidavit of Residence with supporting documentation, and

application fee or waiver.

VACANCIES: Currently, there are two (2) vacancies in the City of Ithaca Fire Department. The

eligible list established as a result of this examination may be used to fill these vacancies and any

future vacancies that may occur during the life of the eligible list.

RESIDENCY: Candidates must be legal residents of Tompkins County at least one month prior to

the date of the examination. Preference in certification may be given to candidates who are

residents of the municipality in which appointment is to be made, provided that the candidate is a

resident of such municipality at the time of examination and remains a resident of such municipality

continuously thereafter, up to and including the dates of certification and appointment.

SALARY: $38,049

Well you can check out 911hotjobs.com or search on indeed.com. and enter firefighter in the search bar. There are currently many fire depts hiring out here on the left coast in Oregon and Washington. I can tell you Aisters-Camp Sherman fire district is seeking to fill a FF/medic as is Salem OR and I believe Portland is testing in 2014, also Salt Lake UT if I am not mistaken.

Just a FYI a lot of the Depts here in central Oregon have student-resident programs for college students and they pay a stipend on monthly basis in addition to tuition assistance. If your college age or close to it I highly recommend this program they usually get preference in the hiring process.

BFD1054 likes this

My take on this:

Most jobs in NYS have residency requirements, you must research the residency policies of each municipality. Second, if you are looking for a job out of state, you should look to see where you'd like to live, then find the jobs in those respective areas. BE AWARE of minimum qualifications of out of state departments! For example, in Florida, you are required to have a certificate from the Florida State Fire College BEFORE you even take a test. Firefighter jobs out of state are hot in MD, VA, NC and SC. Las Vegas recruits frequently, too. Hope this helps.