JetPhoto

Ex-Brewster assistant fire chief, kicked off dept. for using racial slur, sues for $10M

24 posts in this topic

It's s*** like this that makes all of us look bad. This is also why I hate parades. Having a melt down because two members didn't march? Grow the hell up! Can anyone tell me, is there any positive aspects to being a volunteer firefighter anymore? Because all I see is bull s*** and drama.

idlewildvfd, x4093k and dwcfireman like this

It's s*** like this that makes all of us look bad. This is also why I hate parades. Having a melt down because two members didn't march? Grow the hell up! Can anyone tell me, is there any positive aspects to being a volunteer firefighter anymore? Because all I see is bull s*** and drama.

I would like to refer my answer to the top line of your profile picture.

I would like to refer my answer to the top line of your profile picture.

Well played sir. Well played. I may have just popped a lung laughing.

dwcfireman likes this

He goes off because two FF's did not march in the Parade and then were socializing? He is taking himself way too serious.

What would this guy do if something serious had happened?

idlewildvfd likes this

Proof why you have to try to mediate problems when they first occur, before the blow up to huge scandals like this. Obviously the issue has been brewing since the expelled chief was a captain. Hopefully we all can learn from this, and motivate us to remedy these sort of incidents while they are still in their infancy.

E106MKFD, dwcfireman and sueg like this

10.2 million in damages? Seriously?

He really is full of himself!

Proof why you have to try to mediate problems when they first occur, before the blow up to huge scandals like this. Obviously the issue has been brewing since the expelled chief was a captain. Hopefully we all can learn from this, and motivate us to remedy these sort of incidents while they are still in their infancy.

When I became a lieutenant for the first time my father share with me a story of a problem he had to mitigate when he was chief. There were two guys in my fire house, one was a captain and the other a senior firefighter. Both had hot tempers, and got into an extrememly heated debate over something menial, almost to the point of a fist fight. This was happening in front of the entire department, so my father grabbed both of them and dragged them into his office. My father yelled at them, telling the captain that he was in a position of leadership and acting way out of leadership role, and the senior FF that he had been around the firehouse long enough to know how to act in front of the guys. After my father was done with his tirade he sat down in his chair and said, "Well, since you two were about to fight anyway, you may go ahead and do it here in the office." Both the captain and FF were stunned enough by that statement that they actually just ended up settling their differences and were nice to each other from then on.

I know this is a strange way to mitigate an issue, but I thought it was a bit hilarious and wanted to share. Sometimes leadership needs to be creative to fix a departments day to day issues.

GAW6 and sueg like this

Next up - Person gets suspended for showing up after a fire is out and eating a sandwich made for the crews that battled the fire and is now suing for $50 million

BBBMF, vodoly and AFS1970 like this

10 million ? Are you Sh!ting me!! What the hell for cause some body got all butt hurt. Forgive me but what am I missing ? Suspension yes definitely but 10 mill for damages ? Crazy ....

this stuff should be in house matters. And delt with internally like the not so long ago.

Was he wrong, yes but come on forgive my lack of P.C., but we all throw around derogatory words to each other and it doesn't leave the house and nobody cries over it.

Signed

Kristopher

JetPhoto and dwcfireman like this

In my opinion ( And sometimes I have alot ) the moral of the story is that no proper hearings were performed to get the full story. Yes foul language was used and should never be used, but there has to be more to the story. I can undestand being upset that after marching you notice members hanging out when they could of been with their department in line, also was there alcohol involved. Let's be real every parade that I have marched in food, soda and beer were there, and yes I myself have been intoxicated prior to step off and I bet others too. And I have made remarks or got into a little heated debated with others. It's wrong, but it happens. The main story is that was there fair and due process done for a suspension oexpulsion. Every Firedepartment should have a grievence commitee to handle internal problems then have a hearing within the department so witness and statements from both sides could be heard, if that is done the town or village should be aware of what occured and either the matter was taken care of or village or town admin. and trustees must step in and have a proper hearing. Fire Chiefs and Captains are too fast at the trigger to hand down suspensions. As far as a 10 million dollar lawsuit, a lawyer can ask for the stars, but will only get nada! I'm tired of this sue happy world, but thats the way it is. It has come to the point like I have been rambling on for years, times have changed, trust no one and keep your mouth shut and think before you speak. And if you have a problem with another member don't explode when your wearing department issued uniform, your representing your department and your town/village. Just because a parade may be a social event your still a employee of your town/village.

lt411 likes this

The sueing for 10.2 million in damages is b s. You r not payed u r volunteer i can see sueing if you were payed but brewster is not. I was a member of sleepy hollow we had to pull teeth to get people to come out and march for us and are chief didn't blow up at us if we showed up after the parade i never missed a parade because i marched for the tarrytown vfw. Chief u make us volunteer look very bad.

He got a proper hearing. He appealed the decision incorrectly. Always more to a story. Dont take everything in the paper as fact. Especially the journal news.

How true you are about the journal news. And your right there is more to any story. The problem with media is they publish, we read, and then resident read and that's what makes us look bad. Emergency personel will always be looked upon as hero in one mind set and party animals in the other. It's a shame. Save a life or property called a hero, have a beer called a drunk, have a argument called a bully. When does it end

Hey at least there wasn't a fist fight...

One word people:

P A R A D E

Hello? When will you all learn?

What does that have to do with anything?

What does a "parade" have to do with anything? It is the crux of the whole article/lawsuit. The article/lawsuit states that:

"the Brewster Fire Dept attended a parade on the night of July 11, 2013 hosted by the Mahopac Fire Dept. As is traditional and custom, participating BFD members were allowed to consume alcoholic beverages before and after the parade and were invited back to the firehouse for a social gathering after the parade. Upon Ratajack's arrival at the firehouse, there was a gathering outside of smoking members. Observing this group more closely, Ratajack noticed members including Steven Miller and Paul DeBartolomeo, who had chosen not to be in uniform or to march in the parade, drinking and socializing with members that had marched. Because parades are integral to a volunteer FD's team building and public visibility, the BFD has historically has not allowed members to join the social event following a parade unless they have marched in the parade. This group had decided to come to the party but had not done any of the work to prepare for the parade, to march in the parade, or to clean and return the equipment to service so that it would be available for a fire call. Miller and DeBartolomeo, among others, were "free-loading" at the expense of the other volunteer members. Ratajack went upstairs to the main hall of the firehouse, but, could not ignore the member's free-loading and undermining behavior. Ratajack exploded, spewing obnoxious and derogatory words and phrases about the non-participating members, including every swear word Ratajack could think of at the moment such as "f******", "niggers", "pieces of s***", "bullshit". On information and belief, none of the non-marching members heard Ratajack's tirade nor do they belong to a racial or ethnic minority. Ratajack then went downstairs to discuss ejecting the non-participating members with 2nd Assistant Chief Phillip McMurray. As the second in command, it would have been disrespectful of the chain of command to walk over McMurray and order the non-marchers to leave. Chief Ratajack, pointing at the group of non-participants, said to McMurray that it was a "bunch of bullshit" and Chief McMurray should not allow the non-marchers to remain. Instead of supporting his superior officer, 2nd Asst. Chief McMurray tried to move Chief Ratajack back into the building while challenging Ratajack's authority to act, and rebuking Ratajack for his choice of vocabulary. Their argument continued at the top of the stairs and inside the front vestibule of the firehouse and was heard by more then it should have been. Chief Ratajack again used several common swear words referring to the "free-loaders" as a group. On information and belief, none of the non-marching members heard Ratajack's tirade nor do they belong to a racial or ethnic minority. The argument ended with Chief Ratajack reminding Chief McMurray of the chain of command saying 'we needed to get on the same page or it's going to be a rough two years when I become Chief'".

This comes directly from the lawsuit lines 43-49.

SmokeyJoe likes this

Gee, I guess you don't read so good so let me spell it out for ya. This chief was at a parade, and was then, according to the article, at a "social gathering" (can you say beer fest?) with his company. And according to the article much of his anger with these guys had to do with there not participating in said parade.

So I guess you could say it has everything to do with everything.

And if I see one more post about how these asinine beer bashes where a bunch of stooges can play fireman are good for morale etc I think I'm gonna puke. WAKE UP!

My reading isn't a problem here nor is it the question at hand. Let me explain.

What does a parade have to do with anything? The only place a parade comes into play is a parade being the location of the climax of an incident. This has apparently been a problem that started at the station some time before this parade or this person even becoming a chief.

Three posts you made in one day all had to do with parades. If some volunteer department burned you I apologize but they are not the root of all evil. I personally am not a fan of parades and personally feel they no longer serve a purpose but You seem to have a personal vendetta against them. In this case the parade is not the issue.

Parades are a big part of the culture that is killing the volly FDs here. No good comes from them and they distract people from the real issues and mission

A parade is no the issue here. The issue is that two people who happen to be volunteers made a private issue a public issue that now involves the department. It is about immaturity, not shining brass to walk down the street.

As I said, I hate parades too. If you would like, start a thread about your opinion on parades and I will be right next to you bashing them. This is not the thread for it.

Stay safe guys and girls.

What does a "parade" have to do with anything? It is the crux of the whole article/lawsuit. The article/lawsuit states that:

"the Brewster Fire Dept attended a parade on the night of July 11, 2013 hosted by the Mahopac Fire Dept. As is traditional and custom, participating BFD members were allowed to consume alcoholic beverages before and after the parade and were invited back to the firehouse for a social gathering after the parade. Upon Ratajack's arrival at the firehouse, there was a gathering outside of smoking members. Observing this group more closely, Ratajack noticed members including Steven Miller and Paul DeBartolomeo, who had chosen not to be in uniform or to march in the parade, drinking and socializing with members that had marched. Because parades are integral to a volunteer FD's team building and public visibility, the BFD has historically has not allowed members to join the social event following a parade unless they have marched in the parade. This group had decided to come to the party but had not done any of the work to prepare for the parade, to march in the parade, or to clean and return the equipment to service so that it would be available for a fire call. Miller and DeBartolomeo, among others, were "free-loading" at the expense of the other volunteer members. Ratajack went upstairs to the main hall of the firehouse, but, could not ignore the member's free-loading and undermining behavior. Ratajack exploded, spewing obnoxious and derogatory words and phrases about the non-participating members, including every swear word Ratajack could think of at the moment such as "f******", "niggers", "pieces of s***", "bullshit". On information and belief, none of the non-marching members heard Ratajack's tirade nor do they belong to a racial or ethnic minority. Ratajack then went downstairs to discuss ejecting the non-participating members with 2nd Assistant Chief Phillip McMurray. As the second in command, it would have been disrespectful of the chain of command to walk over McMurray and order the non-marchers to leave. Chief Ratajack, pointing at the group of non-participants, said to McMurray that it was a "bunch of bullshit" and Chief McMurray should not allow the non-marchers to remain. Instead of supporting his superior officer, 2nd Asst. Chief McMurray tried to move Chief Ratajack back into the building while challenging Ratajack's authority to act, and rebuking Ratajack for his choice of vocabulary. Their argument continued at the top of the stairs and inside the front vestibule of the firehouse and was heard by more then it should have been. Chief Ratajack again used several common swear words referring to the "free-loaders" as a group. On information and belief, none of the non-marching members heard Ratajack's tirade nor do they belong to a racial or ethnic minority. The argument ended with Chief Ratajack reminding Chief McMurray of the chain of command saying 'we needed to get on the same page or it's going to be a rough two years when I become Chief'".

This comes directly from the lawsuit lines 43-49.

First I'd like to take issue with the statement that parades are an integral part of team building or public visibility. Company drills and training and learning to work with others while taking classes at the training center are how you foster a team mentality, not strutting down the street in every town that decides to have a parade. As far as visibility goes, I feel like parades draw the wrong types of people trying to be visible, the guy you haven't seen at a call in six months but who shows up for the spread and to make himself "visible". If you really want positive public image for your department participate in a fundraiser for a good cause, put a team together to do a walk or run for a cause, participate in something greater than the department showing what you do to give back. A question I'd ask about the guys involved in this debacle, are they good responders, do they pull their weight where it's really important, on the fire scene? On the flip side, how many of the members who actually marched aren't around regularly to attend drills and calls? The chief in question sounds like a real prima Donna to me, immature, bombastic, and if he thinks that his offensive racist language was acceptable because the members he was berating weren't minorities, then he's just flat out incompetent.

VCharlatan, ndpemt519 and CFI609D like this

So this guy sued for 10 mil, how much was he ultimately awarded ?