Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stepjam

Researching a past Yonkers fire, information sources?

12 posts in this topic

I am trying to find some historical information or newspaper articles about a very large fire that occurred in Yonkers, at 106 Highland Avenue (Riverview Gardens) on March 1, 1994.

This particular address is part of a connected complex of seven six-story apartment buildings, built during the 1920's. I believe there were forty eight apartments in the building. What makes it interesting to me is that I once lived in that complex, and it was purportedly "fire proof," at least as far as 1920-era codes dictated. Although the building was of very robust construction, it was gutted. I have done all kinds of searches, including the archives at the Journal News (earliest available is 2002) and the NYT. Nothing.

The fire was sufficiently damaging and displaced enough people that it qualified affected persons for Federal disaster relief via the SBA. I moved out of Yonkers long before this fire occurred, but I heard that it was deliberately set in the basement dumbwaiter shafts and went right up to the roof. I also know that this building would be difficult to approach, since three of its exposures are inaccessable to apparatus.

Anyway, maybe a forum member is on the job in Yonkers and remembers it? Thanks.

x635 likes this

I was not at this fire but I remember it and I know these buildings pretty well although I haven't been in them since I made Chief 8 years ago, so some of these details may be foggy. This is a u-shaped complex of 5 or 6 story ordinary constructed apartments with a large courtyard. They are set back from the street and almost a full story above grade. At one time these buildings must have been very beautiful. It has some ornate features like large lobby's and hallways with marble, cast iron decoration in places, and larger than normal apartments, but they have deteriorated over the years. There is a standpipe but it is a Class 2 with only inch and a half connections- intended for occupant use only. The cockloft is open throughout the entire complex as far as I know. I believe also that the roof is a "rain roof" or "inverted roof". Depending on which apartment(s) hose is being stretched to it would be anywhere from a 7 to maybe as much as a 15 length stretch I would estimate.

AC Bill Webster (deceased) had this fire as the first due Battalion Chief. He was a very experienced and knowledgeable Chief and I knew him well. He was very happy with the outcome of the firefighting efforts. I don't remember which line of apartments this came in as but the fire had run the dumbwaiter from the basement to the cockloft prior to FD arrival. A long stretch of 2 and a half or maybe 3 and a half was made and connected to a water thief which fed 1 3/4" attack lines. Some companies went in from Groshon St. - a dead end on the south side of the building which was a good move. Holes were made over the fire and a succesful trench cut was made- this is quite rare. I think, but am not sure, that the fire was held to just one of the attached buildings, maybe 10 or so apartments? (the addresses are 100-110 I think? 6 separate buildings?) Someone on this forum from YFD from 303, 306, 304, 71 or 74 will know for certain I can't remember.I don't know if this fire was incendiary as you mentioned. There may have been rescues,- I do remember being told it was very hectic right from the get go and all involved were pleasantly surprised at the stop they were able to make.

Stepjam and x635 like this

I was not at this fire but I remember it and I know these buildings pretty well although I haven't been in them since I made Chief 8 years ago, so some of these details may be foggy. This is a u-shaped complex of 5 or 6 story ordinary constructed apartments with a large courtyard. They are set back from the street and almost a full story above grade. At one time these buildings must have been very beautiful. It has some ornate features like large lobby's and hallways with marble, cast iron decoration in places, and larger than normal apartments, but they have deteriorated over the years. There is a standpipe but it is a Class 2 with only inch and a half connections- intended for occupant use only. The cockloft is open throughout the entire complex as far as I know. I believe also that the roof is a "rain roof" or "inverted roof". Depending on which apartment(s) hose is being stretched to it would be anywhere from a 7 to maybe as much as a 15 length stretch I would estimate.

AC Bill Webster (deceased) had this fire as the first due Battalion Chief. He was a very experienced and knowledgeable Chief and I knew him well. He was very happy with the outcome of the firefighting efforts. I don't remember which line of apartments this came in as but the fire had run the dumbwaiter from the basement to the cockloft prior to FD arrival. A long stretch of 2 and a half or maybe 3 and a half was made and connected to a water thief which fed 1 3/4" attack lines. Some companies went in from Groshon St. - a dead end on the south side of the building which was a good move. Holes were made over the fire and a succesful trench cut was made- this is quite rare. I think, but am not sure, that the fire was held to just one of the attached buildings, maybe 10 or so apartments? (the addresses are 100-110 I think? 6 separate buildings?) Someone on this forum from YFD from 303, 306, 304, 71 or 74 will know for certain I can't remember.I don't know if this fire was incendiary as you mentioned. There may have been rescues,- I do remember being told it was very hectic right from the get go and all involved were pleasantly surprised at the stop they were able to make.

I just re-read your original post. These buildings are definitely not fireproof. Actually, that term is a misnomer, despite its use by FDNY. However, using that term as it is used by FDNY, these buildings would not qualify.

x635 and Stepjam like this

The complex is a regular customer, we were just there today. The story on the job Chief Flynn posted is pretty much the story, it went to a 4th or 5th Alarm. I didn't work that nite, but ended up there on recall. Picked up frozen hose for 5-hours.

Stepjam and x635 like this

Yes Chief, those are defintely the buildings. I had completely forgotten about the standpipe connections; there was one on each landing and they were vandalized on a regular basis. The brass "Croaker" nozzles on the hoses had all been stolen. Yes, the buildings were at one time very beautiful, when originally built the courtyard had a large working fountain. The entry hallway in our apartment was twenty five feet long, and we had ten foot ceilings. I can remember when we first moved in, the lobbies were actually furnished. This was in the early 70's, and the neighborhood and building was in decline even then. I was shocked and saddened to hear that such a devastating fire had hit this complex, and I can remember wondering "what if" when I lived there, because it was such a difficult building to approach.

It must have been a hell of a job.

x635 likes this

I posted a similar query on the Facebook YFD page, and a few guys commented. They couldn't get an aerial over it, and undertook very aggressive roof operations as Chief Flynn explained. One guy mentioned that it was caused by bad wiring, and another said that the management now vents the clothes dryers into the old dumbwaiters-another fire waiting to happen.

When we were kids, we spent a lot of time running around on that huge roof. It was the biggest open space in the neighborhood, lol. I had no idea that the whole complex had a common cockloft, so it could have been much, much worse. Kudos to YFD for stopping it at one building.

Edited by Stepjam
x635 likes this

I always thought that if an MD had fire escapes, it wasn't "fireproof". Is that true?

Try fultonhistory.com and see if you can find newspaper articles.

Stepjam likes this

Stepjam…don't know if this helps, but..I was on 12 Engine that night. We grabbed a good hydrant off Groshon, and stretched all the way up to the back of the building. We then humped a single 3 1/2" supply line all the way up the fire escape (via a fire escape hook..remember those?..) and broke out an upper window & made entry w/some donuts & S/P kit in hand. Hooked up w/another engine Co. & operated two hand lines off that supply with great effect. Before the fire came in, we did some in-house training and the Capt. that night just had us go over that fire escape hook and what it could do..

RIP Chief Webster.. he was cool under fire & a great guy...

Edited by 1911
Stepjam likes this

That supply line must have weighed a ton once it was stretched and charged, tough job overall. I hope no one was injured. And thanks for the suggestion about the fulton history site. Unfortunately, they only have the old Herald Statesman up to 1985 and not the Urinal, I mean the Journal News, But the JN's coverage of anything in Yonkers, if they covered it, always sucked anyway. The old Herald Statesman was the best and Yonkers became a little poorer when it closed down.

Thank you for the helpful and informative replies, gentlemen.

I posted your request in the internal YFD alumni forum. Maybe it will help. I wasn't working that night but remember hearing that it was a difficult fire. Chief Webster was a great tactician, a great Chief. He would frequently gather us at challenging locations to preplan. He was a great model for developing officers.

Stepjam likes this