x635

Sam Lubin Progress Updates And Show Of Support

54 posts in this topic

Our prayers and thoughts are with Chief Sam Lubin, his family, and his Ossining VAC Family. Hope your recovery is fast and complete - sounds like they really need your continuous drive to improve and expand the service, and sure would hate to see them disappointed!

Sorry for not posting here till now as I've been following the news about Sam on FB for several days. I worked with Sam at both MetroCare and OVAC.he is a great guy and an excellent medic and always gives 1000%. Just put the following on my FB page and I'm putting it here also:

Glad to hear that Sam is improving a bit. Keep fighting Sam. As always Sam's family as well as OVAC and any everyone else connected with him are on my mind and in my prayers...

As someone else posted - Sam is always there for others now it's time we are all there for him

Joe

Edited by joetnymedic

Get well soon Chief while I have never me you everything I have read about states you are a stand up person. The kind of guy people want around.

I went through a recovery process after a major MVA and it was rough but my friends and family got me through the system that falls in place at most Fire Houses of us caring for our own really works. And you seam to have much more support then just your one firehouse.

Best Wishes from Queens

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Chief and your department at this time. Get well soon.

Chief, may God be with you for a speedy and full recovery. Thank you for all you do!

I have known Sam for many years. Our agencies worked out a mutual aid plan during the major construction of the Amvets bridge on the Taconic Pkwy. He is a great friend and a true EMS professional. My thoughts and prayers are with Sam and his family. Speedy recovery my friend.

Prayers are with Sam and his family. Sam has been a great ambassador for EMS. Hoping for a fully and speedy recovery.

I've just been told he is still critically ill and intubated, but is slowly making positive progress each and every day The next few days as he is weaned off the vent, some of the meds, and gets an MRI and other testing, we will know more. OVAC and our EMS family from all over has been there holding vigil 24/7 and supporting his family, but that goes without saying. He needs our continued prayers now more then ever. I know he's going to come out of this, but it's going to be a long battle that we're all going to be there for to help him through.

I have been out in California- coming home tonight and I will stop by to visit Sam on Friday. He is in WMC, correct? What are the visiting hours? Thanks!

From Facebook page:

Rebecca Nelson Lubin‎Healing Prayers for Ovac Ems Chief Sam Lubin

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update on Sam and report on how his week went. Sam had several surgeries this week to repair injuries sustained in his accident. His vitals are good, he is breathing on his own and displaying some initial responsive signs. We will know more as he continues to come around. Your thoughts, prayers and well wishes are an enormous comfort to our family, and I know how humbled my brother will be when he wakes up and reads all your kind and supportive words. Please feel free to reach out to our family via emailing me at sweetflypaper@msn.com. I send Love and thanks to all of you, my brother's angelic support system and dear friends.
Happy Valentines Day!
xoxo,
Rebecca
EmsFirePolice and 87D124 like this

From the Healing Prayers For OVAC EMS Chief Sam Lubin Facebook Page:

Hank LubinHealing Prayers for Ovac Ems Chief Sam Lubin

Dear All,
Up-date on condition on Sam.
Louise and I, Sam's Mom and Dad visited Sam this Morning (Sunday).He is looking better with a good part of his puffiness gone. He is moving his right hand, opening his eye, and moving his toes on his right foot and moving his toes slightly, at times, on his left foot. He is not moving his left hand or arm at this time. He is still not responding to commands. He is running a low grade temperature and the Doctor has started Sam on a wide s...pectrum antibiotic to combat possible pneumonia. They are doing cultures from his lungs to make sure that Sam has pneumonia. The Doctor gave Sam two blood transfusions to get more blood to his brain, and also increased his blood pressure to push his blood into his brain. Sam is also on a anti-spasmodic medicine to control seizures. That's all for now. Louise and I will be back at the hospital tonight to visit and will send an update.

Thank you for all your good wishes, payers, and thoughts for our Son. You.re posting mean so much to us and his family.

All our love,

Louise and Hank Lubin

My family's thoughts and prayers are sent your way Sam. God Bless You!

Sam is being transferred to Helen Hayes in West Haverstraw for physical rehabilitation today.

EmsFirePolice likes this

Monica Segner LubinHealing Prayers for Ovac Ems Chief Sam Lubin

Just a quick update. Spoke to Sam's nurse and he said he was doing great today. They plugged the trac from about 9:30-5:00 and he handled it very well - breathing out of his nose! Tomorrow they will do it again and if he does this well they will take it out altogether. He was more responsive today (I thought he was quite responsive yesterday) so that is also really positive! I lectured him yesterday a lot! But he was so sweet because he saw I was upset at one point and reached over and rubbed my face over and over looking into my eyes. I always feel so guilty leaving him.. Anyway - going back tomorrow and if there are more updates I will let you know!

Bnechis likes this

Keep Fighting Sam!! So glad to hear positive updates!

Visited Sam today at Helen Hayes Hospital. He is receiving rehabilitation for traumatic brain injury. He is awake and alert but has a long way to go. There is further surgery required in his future. The support of the emergency service community for him and his family both emotionally and financially is critically important in the weeks and months ahead. The medical bills will be staggering and any help you can provide will be immensely helpful. Watch for a 10-13 fundraiser in the near future to be sponsored by the Ossining Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

x635 likes this

Thank you, Legislator for the update, and hope you will continue to keep us up to date. I heard Sam had his trach removed today.

Today HH brought Sam over to WMC to have his CAT scan for his Cradioplasty (which should take place in 2-3 weeks). From the CT scan they will construct the prosthetic. HH told me that they make it fit like a puzzle. They told me that his receptive and expressive language are really coming a long great and that he is their "shining star"!! They said that he does get frustrated when he is not able to say what he wants to say (understandably!). I will find out more when I speak directly to the speech therapist tomorrow. Once WMC does the cradioplasty he will do so much better!!

Latest update:

Etta Lobel WalshHealing Prayers for Ovac Ems Chief Sam Lubin
Diane and I went to visit again last night. Sammy was moved to a new room because his progress is coming along well and he no longer needs the sitter in the middle! The little shift indicated with his hands that I was talking too much to his mom-lol.

When his mom and dad went to leave he grabbed his mom and kissed her. Diane and I almost lost it. Sam is walking! He feeds himself and can have therapists approved foods now.He is coming along well.