x635

Goldens Bridge Firehouse Fire (Discussion)

63 posts in this topic

Just a question Rescue 25 was that saved as well

Does anybody know the reason why Cars 2142,2143 were inside the firehouse

I am very sorry for the damage that was done to this house and the apparatus and sending my best wishes to all members of the community who have been affected by this.Some questions:

Is it true that one or two Chiefs (or ex-Chiefs) had very recently prior to this fire resigned, or were forced out?

If true, why?

If true, did this have any effect on the outcome of the firefight?

Is Golden's Bridge currently having issues with having an adequate number of qualified interior Firefighters, Company and Chief Officers available to respond in a timely manner?

I read that the cause of the fire was electrical? Is this true and if so, are there more specifics available?

Thanks!

highwaybuff and ARI1220 like this

I read that the cause of the fire was electrical? Is this true and if so, are there more specifics available?

According to this ABC 7 article, investigators reported it was from the electrical connection to a rig inside the firehouse. Does anyone know of any other time this has happened ?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9443100

Glad to hear that everyone is OK and the restoration is going so well.

A curiosity question, is the relocation of all your equipment to other departments affecting your initial response or operations? Are you staging drivers with the apparatus or do your guys have to drive out of town to get the rig and then back into town with it?

Stay safe!

Thank you James....did the circa 1890's hose cart survive?

According to this ABC 7 article, investigators reported it was from the electrical connection to a rig inside the firehouse. Does anyone know of any other time this has happened ?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9443100

I do not, but knowing which unit was this connection too? Was the rig retrofitted to the connection or was it original factory? might help determine if this is something other depts. should look into.

BFD1054 likes this

Alright, here goes nothing...

First, the chiefs vehicle that is being investigated as the cause of the fire was parked in the garage because it was due for replacement. Our replacement, another Police Interceptor SUV, has been on order for months and is currently at Cruiser Division for outfitting. It had been expedited at this time and is slated for delivery within the next couple of weeks.

As it stands the Goldens Bridge Fire District is being covered by the South Salem and Croton Falls fire departments. The officers from GBFD will be responding to aid with logistical aspects I.e. Water source locations, address locations and aspects of that nature. We are not responding solely due to the fact that a good majority of PPE has been either completely burned beyond recognition or has been exposed to extremely high heat. Not to mention it's all covered with about a quarter inch of soot. All of our reserve sets were in storage in the effected apparatus bay.

We did have a chief resign for reasons that are far, far out of my pay grade. However, he was in attendance throughout the process of of this incident. Both remaining chiefs were on location however opted to have 2071 act as incident command, however remained at the command post to aid with building construction aspects and to assist with possible hazards.

After another day, the amount of aid that we have been offered is unbelievable. We have received emails from fire departments from all over the world offering assistance. From turnout gear to pieces of apparatus, the offerings have been truly amazing. A huge thank you goes out to the Croton Falls, South Salem, and Katonah Fire Departments for making this process extremely easy for us. Again we can't thank everyone enough for reaching out a offering any assistance possible.

BFD1054, x635, Bnechis and 3 others like this

One more thing I forgot...

The Town of Lewisboro has provided our organization with some unused space at the rec department and were are currently working feverishly to get logistical operations back up and running.

Alright, here goes nothing...

First, the chiefs vehicle that is being investigated as the cause of the fire was parked in the garage because it was due for replacement. Our replacement, another Police Interceptor SUV, has been on order for months and is currently at Cruiser Division for outfitting. It had been expedited at this time and is slated for delivery within the next couple of weeks.

As it stands the Goldens Bridge Fire District is being covered by the South Salem and Croton Falls fire departments. The officers from GBFD will be responding to aid with logistical aspects I.e. Water source locations, address locations and aspects of that nature. We are not responding solely due to the fact that a good majority of PPE has been either completely burned beyond recognition or has been exposed to extremely high heat. Not to mention it's all covered with about a quarter inch of soot. All of our reserve sets were in storage in the effected apparatus bay.

We did have a chief resign for reasons that are far, far out of my pay grade. However, he was in attendance throughout the process of of this incident. Both remaining chiefs were on location however opted to have 2071 act as incident command, however remained at the command post to aid with building construction aspects and to assist with possible hazards.

After another day, the amount of aid that we have been offered is unbelievable. We have received emails from fire departments from all over the world offering assistance. From turnout gear to pieces of apparatus, the offerings have been truly amazing. A huge thank you goes out to the Croton Falls, South Salem, and Katonah Fire Departments for making this process extremely easy for us. Again we can't thank everyone enough for reaching out a offering any assistance possible.

Are you able to tell us more about the Chiefs vehicle that is being investigated? I had heard electrical was the cause.

Don't comment on an ongoing investigation. I don't think Chief Flynn is being malicious, but never comment on it. Especially since this claim will be in the millions.

idlewildvfd likes this

I am very sorry for the damage that was done to this house and the apparatus and sending my best wishes to all members of the community who have been affected by this.Some questions:

Is it true that one or two Chiefs (or ex-Chiefs) had very recently prior to this fire resigned, or were forced out?

If true, why?

If true, did this have any effect on the outcome of the firefight?

Is Golden's Bridge currently having issues with having an adequate number of qualified interior Firefighters, Company and Chief Officers available to respond in a timely manner?

Thanks!

wow come on really ? you go there when they just lost every thing?what answers are you looking for here?have some respect for gbfd even if there vollunteer.s.

fire2141 and GAW6 like this

Thank you James....did the circa 1890's hose cart survive?

It looked like it was ok when we were operating in the meeting room. I feel terrible about the Willys, it was sad to see it burned out in the back garage. Im glad that we (Mt. Kisco) were able to come and lend a hand in putting out the fire. I wish for a very speedy recovery to your Fire House. Stay strong guys, hopefully things will be back to normal, or at least a new normal asap. Thankfully, nobody was injured, the house can be fixed... Stay strong Brothers and sisters!

Ray Zaccari

wow come on really ? you go there when they just lost every thing?what answers are you looking for here?have some respect for gbfd even if there vollunteer.s.

The irony is funny here...you ask for respect but at the same time make a derogatory comment about volunteers "even if there (sic) vollunteer.s. (sic)"

BFD1054 and EmsFirePolice like this

Go where? You are implying that there was an underlying tone Chief Flynn's very valid questions. It seems to me, that you are the one putting a spin on his questions.

There are questions that have to be asked, like the origins of a fire. That's why we have Cause & Origin teams. There are details that inquiring minds want to know. Like if there was adequate manpower at a fire. Like if there may or may not have been some political issues at the firehouse. These are questions that Politicians AND Fire Chiefs answer EVERY DAY, many of them in front of the press(any large city FD).

So why are we not allowed to ask the same questions, just because it was a volunteer department involved?

Go where? You are implying that there was an underlying tone Chief Flynn's very valid questions. It seems to me, that you are the one putting a spin on his questions.

There are questions that have to be asked, like the origins of a fire. That's why we have Cause & Origin teams. There are details that inquiring minds want to know. Like if there was adequate manpower at a fire. Like if there may or may not have been some political issues at the firehouse. These are questions that Politicians AND Fire Chiefs answer EVERY DAY, many of them in front of the press(any large city FD).

So why are we not allowed to ask the same questions, just because it was a volunteer department involved?

I think GBFD109 did a great job in giving as many of the facts as he can without getting himself in trouble. *NOTE* The man puts his name on his profile. He's not hiding behind anything...NOT that you are or anyone else is for that matter but he is telling like it is.

As far as disccusing an ongoing investigation into the cause of the fire why in the world would someone want to make a comment on this ESPECIALLY on a public forum like this. He would be opening himself up to a world of nonsense if he did so.

I think what Bottom of Da hill is getting at is the old saying "A Time and a Place for everything" I dont think this is the time and certainly not the place to discuss the problems that the dept may be having internally.

I am postive the investigators (PD, FD on all levels) who are doing the investagation will uncover everything and the facts of what went down will all come out in time. THEN and only then would I think the topic would be fair game for whatever rants anyone wnats to throw out there.

E106MKFD likes this

I think the message people are trying to drive away here are that members have valid concerns and interesting questions to grasp a better understanding on what happened but we should let the dust settle for our brothers before we get into the nitty gritty. The event that we are trying to break apart only just happened a few days ago and the Brothers in Goldens Bridge are trying to piece together all of the events for themselves let alone providing the play by play of the fire in addition to all questions on previous matters of the company and its business. Information is still unfolding and as has been stated that an investigation is still at hand. We are all curious and time will tell. Let us just give everyone involved a break and let them come out on their own. This is no discourtesy to the posters or their questions they have. Like I said these are all valid questions and information we can all record and learn from but some members here just want to see better support for our brothers in their time of need.

On a side note do we seriously have to go down the road of insults and putting barriers between volunteers & Paid organizations? Seriously? members of our own family almost lost it all and you guys pull this card. Lets show everyone in this forum respect since we are "Brothers" in whatever sense that means nowadays. So lets get back on track, let the GBFD guys add info at their convenience and everyone stop being so sensitive!

spin_the_wheel and JFLYNN like this

The irony is funny here...you ask for respect but at the same time make a derogatory comment about volunteers "even if there (sic) vollunteer.s. (sic)"

I think he was being sarcastic not being derogatory.

I do not understand all of your post. What do you mean by "wow come on really?" , "have some respect"and ..."even if they are volunteers"? Are you infering that I am being disrespectful? If so, please elaborate why you feel this way.

To be clear to the objective and fair minded readers out there- I intend no disrespect. Is your comment "even if they are volunteers" meant to be demeaning or disrespectful of volunteer Firefighters? If so, I disavow that totally and would point out that disrespecting of any group or individual has no place on this forum.

In answer to your question "what answers are you looking for?"...I am looking for (not demanding, simply inquiring) for answers to the questions that I asked.

qtip

I think GBFD109 did a great job in giving as many of the facts as he can without getting himself in trouble. *NOTE* The man puts his name on his profile. He's not hiding behind anything...NOT that you are or anyone else is for that matter but he is telling like it is.

As far as disccusing an ongoing investigation into the cause of the fire why in the world would someone want to make a comment on this ESPECIALLY on a public forum like this. He would be opening himself up to a world of nonsense if he did so.

I think what Bottom of Da hill is getting at is the old saying "A Time and a Place for everything" I dont think this is the time and certainly not the place to discuss the problems that the dept may be having internally.

I am postive the investigators (PD, FD on all levels) who are doing the investagation will uncover everything and the facts of what went down will all come out in time. THEN and only then would I think the topic would be fair game for whatever rants anyone wnats to throw out there.

As do I. For the information that is available to be made to the public, he is doing a great job keeping those of us interested, in the loop. I have no bone to pick with anyone, and it would be incredibly disrespectful to do so. It is understood that this is still an ongoing investigation, and that is a valid answer to the posed questions. With there being a "Time and place for everything", large incidents, or events always bring up problems that may have not been seen before. These are things that wouldn't normally rear their ugly heads, but when they do, it can almost be guaranteed that someone is going to want to know more. And nobody is ranting and raving, or accusing anyone or any department of anything. Just asking tough questions with sometimes ugly answers.

I think the message people are trying to drive away here are that members have valid concerns and interesting questions to grasp a better understanding on what happened but we should let the dust settle for our brothers before we get into the nitty gritty. The event that we are trying to break apart only just happened a few days ago and the Brothers in Goldens Bridge are trying to piece together all of the events for themselves let alone providing the play by play of the fire in addition to all questions on previous matters of the company and its business. Information is still unfolding and as has been stated that an investigation is still at hand. We are all curious and time will tell. Let us just give everyone involved a break and let them come out on their own. This is no discourtesy to the posters or their questions they have. Like I said these are all valid questions and information we can all record and learn from but some members here just want to see better support for our brothers in their time of need.

On a side note do we seriously have to go down the road of insults and putting barriers between volunteers & Paid organizations? Seriously? members of our own family almost lost it all and you guys pull this card. Lets show everyone in this forum respect since we are "Brothers" in whatever sense that means nowadays. So lets get back on track, let the GBFD guys add info at their convenience and everyone stop being so sensitive!

As far as I see, there is no insulting, or any animosity. Only sincerity and sympathy for a department that suffered a devastating loss.

Based on what I know of the incident, I think information that has been given till the investigation has conclued has been adequate, that being said any political issues you percieve to be present had no affect on the outcome of this fire. I know that there are people who would try and use this terrible event for personal and political gain as I see which camp this is coming from. I'll also throw in its damn difficult to fight a fire when your turnout gear is in a burning firehouse. You'll most likely get more information as it's released, not sooner.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

A little late here, but I, too, am glad to hear that there were no serious injuries to anyone involved, and that recovery is coming along nicely.

Also happy to hear that E-138 is still "alive" and well. One of my favorite rigs in the area, and one of several that I wish I had the resources to acquire and care for once it comes time for replacement. What a beauty!

Best of luck to the members of the Golden's Bridge FD as they progress toward a full recovery. Be strong, and stay safe!

fire2141 likes this

What was left of the Willys?

What was left of the Willys?

It's toast. I'd post a picture but I haven't figuired out how.

Are there any pictures of Tarrytown's old engine that Golden's Bridge Is using as there rescue

Here are some pictures that I took after the fire.

Here's what was left of the Willy's... what a tragedy :(

1146484_2464358292475_427990507_n.jpg

Tarrytowns Former Engine 80 which is now going to be acting as Rescue 24. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

1470390_2464358212473_102473909_n.jpg

Towing Rescue 24 from the Scene

1622077_2450042934600_183644335_n.jpg

EmsFirePolice likes this

I think buying another World War 2 era Jeep is in order. For those not familiar with the Jeep, it had ties to the old 60's show Rat Patrol. GBFD111 please share this link with the department.

http://warjeeps.com/ . Perhaps replacing it would be a nice idea.

For those who don't know the story, the 1943 Willys was donated to the department in the mid '70s, by the Producer of the TV series "Rat Patrol". (after we saved it from a barn fire on his property) The Jeep was the General's ride on the show not one of the 2 machine gun toting stars.

This vehicle was equipped by the department as a brush truck, with several indian tanks and rakes, shovels and even some home made brush axes. (one of which is visable in the picture above). It served with distinction as a brush truck for many years and was special called by many Northern Westchester and Putnam departments. We have talked many times about fully restoring her but never got around to it.

She will be dearly missed!