Followers 0
JetPhoto

Millbrook 5 Alarm Estate Fire 2/26/2014

1 post in this topic

Date: 2/26/2014
Time: 19:30

Incident Type: 5 Alarm Estate Fire

District: Millbrook FD
Units: Millbrook, Dover, Wassiac, Amenia, Union Vale, Millerton, Pleasant Valley, Stanford, Kent Ct., Transcare, NYSP, DCSO, Dutchess County Emergency Response & many more

Description: 50 x 140, 2 1/2 story wood (10,000+sq ft) heavily involved upon arrival no one home defensive attack from the start. 1,600 foot driveway. Tanker shuttles & draft sites utilized

Poughkeepsie Journal

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20140227/NEWS01/140227005/Chief-Town-Washington-home-destroyed-by-fire-residents-unharmed

---------------

A message from the Chief of the Millbrook Fire department..

My utmost thanks to the personnel who responded to the structure fire last night during which the Millbrook Fire Department fought a heavily-involved fire in a 12,000-square-foot house, seven road miles from the station, in temperatures that dropped to around 0°F by the end of the incident.

Our efforts were additionally hampered by the absence of a viable water source in the immediate vicinity, a driveway just under 2000' long and barely wide enough for an apparatus, high winds, and hilly terrain around the structure covered in 18-36" of snow. The fire was dispatched at 19:29hrs, and the last unit was placed in service at 02:50hrs. The occupants were not at home at the time of the fire.

Nearly a hundred firefighters operated at the scene or stood by, from Millbrook; Wassaic; Dover Plains; Amenia; Pleasant Valley; Union Vale; Millerton; Sharon, CT; and Lakeville, CT. Additional assistance was received from Transcare Ambulance, the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office, the New York State Police, the Town of Washington Highway Department, and the Dutchess 911 Dispatch Center. If I have forgotten anyone, I apologize. It's been a long night.

Fires of this nature and scope are, thankfully, rare. The determination, skill, and camaraderie demonstrated last night are a testament to the positive attitudes and training of our firefighters, EMS providers, and police personnel. While the structure was a total loss, it goes in my book as a "good" alarm: no one was hurt, everyone went home, nothing was seriously broken, and the fire is out.

To say I'm proud to be a part of this service would be a gross understatement. I'm proud of each and every person who responded, grateful to all of you for that skill and determination, and humbled that you allow me to lead you. Thank you all.

Edited by JetPhoto
x635 likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0