AndyC3J

New Apparatus Orders/Deliveries - All Areas Discussion Thread

816 posts in this topic

I see FDNY has 3 or 4 Hazmat units in production at Ferrera will these be station pieces or sent to each borough of the city?

I thought I heard they were going to be assigned to the hazmat engines as a second piece.

The U.S. Military Academy at West Point (Orange) has received - or soon will receive - a new Pierce Saber pumper, one of several headed to Army bases around the country. Link to pic on Pierce's Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/piercemfg/13473416575/

Washington Heights (Orange) has placed an order for a medium duty Ferrara rescue to be built on a 4-door Freightliner chassis. Expected delivery in October.

Mechanicstown's (Orange) new Seagrave engine has started production.

Washington Heights Rescue (construction pictures courtesy of department Facebook page)

post-18609-0-94505900-1420068838.jpg

post-18609-0-95571500-1420068845.jpg

post-18609-0-44273700-1420068852.jpg

I thought I heard they were going to be assigned to the hazmat engines as a second piece.

They are going to be the 2nd Piece of the Squad Companies replacing the "Bread Trucks" according to a friend who is in Squad 41

That's hazmat 1s second piece

They are similar but not the same. Haz-Mat 1's second piece has 4 compartments on either side of the body, these new haz-mat rigs have three compartments, and Haz-Mat 1's second piece has a roll up door on the rear cabinet and the new rigs have swinging doors. There are four of these Haz-Mat rigs in production on Ferrara's website.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerSupport/InProduction/InProduction.html

Edited by EMT111

Pearl River Fire Dept. (Rockland County #12)

Excelsior Fire Engine Co. No. 1

12-1500

Delivered December 2014

post-19730-0-02879500-1420266547.jpeg

post-19730-0-02087800-1420266564.jpeg

They are similar but not the same. Haz-Mat 1's second piece has 4 compartments on either side of the body, these new haz-mat rigs have three compartments, and Haz-Mat 1's second piece has a roll up door on the rear cabinet and the new rigs have swinging doors. There are four of these Haz-Mat rigs in production on Ferrara's website.

http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerSupport/InProduction/InProduction.html

They are for the 4 haz tech engine 44 165 250 274

New Hampton FD, Orange County new Spartan Glad/Rosenbauer-Metz will be put in service this week. Purchased from Garrison Fire in Palenville, the 2010/2013 Demo , Rosenbauer pn=MN3096, has a 1500 Hale pump / 180/25A/ 105' rear mounted ladder.

post-4255-0-41044300-1420735509.jpg

Edited by 2627
suffernH&Lbuff and Westfield12 like this

Centerville-Cedar Grove Fire Company in Saugerties,NY(Ulster) has a 2015 KME 3000/1250 GPM Tanker on order.

Monroe is delivered already? Just posted a pic from final inspection on Smeal's Facebook a few days ago. A comment in reply to it suggests the new 538 is going to be a Smeal mid-mount.

suffernH&Lbuff likes this

Let's keep in mind that production delays sometimes are beyond the manufacturers controls and are due to the "just in time" supply chain issues that most manufacturers go by.............they rely on the engine vendor, transmission vendor, pump vendor, aerial vendor, and other component vendors to get that product to the assembly (stations) right when it needs to be there. If there's a delay in getting the Allison transmission, for example, that's going to slow down the rig build since a lot of work can't start until that transmission is in place.

Also, although the bid has been awarded, sometimes funded can be a whole separate issue. Pre-construction meetings at the factory can go awry, when the manufacturer and customer start disagreeing on things and things have to go back to the drawing board.

Or maybe it's simply that Yonkers doesn't want to be showcased on Ferrara's "In Production" page and actually is in production....

If someone credible and in the know wants to feed me the correct information, I will post it here anonymously.

Can anyone answer this question. I thought that the Bid awarded to Ferrara was to replace Engine 303 and Engine 313 (as well as to replace Tower Ladder 71). It appears from the latest "In Production" section on Ferrara's Web Site that they are producing a "Rescue Pumper" for Yonkers. Is YFD changed up their request and are now replacing Squad 11? (Doesn't seem to make sense, but you never know). Maybe someone in the know from within YFD can update us all

post-80-0-65702300-1421006849.jpg

Can anyone answer this question. I thought that the Bid awarded to Ferrara was to replace Engine 303 and Engine 313 (as well as to replace Tower Ladder 71). It appears from the latest "In Production" section on Ferrara's Web Site that they are producing a "Rescue Pumper" for Yonkers. Is YFD changed up their request and are now replacing Squad 11? (Doesn't seem to make sense, but you never know). Maybe someone in the know from within YFD can update us all

Technically, all a rescue pumper is, is a standard pumper with upper compartments that are double deep. Just because of the design, does not mean they will be used as one.

NRFD Engines 21, 23 & 25 are of this design and only E-25 carries additional equipment, beyond the standard engine. The new engine 22 is of the same design with some very minor modifications will be operated as a squad company.

boca1day and BFD1054 like this

Technically, all a rescue pumper is, is a standard pumper with upper compartments that are double deep. Just because of the design, does not mean they will be used as one.

NRFD Engines 21, 23 & 25 are of this design and only E-25 carries additional equipment, beyond the standard engine. The new engine 22 is of the same design with some very minor modifications will be operated as a squad company.

Thanks Barry for the Clarification

Ferrara calls most (if not all) of the engines they build "custom rescue pumper".

Bnechis likes this

Wonder if Yonkers has any production delay penalties written in their contract (they would be smart if they did)?

The version of the contract I saw had $100.00 day after one year or agreed to delivery date.

Wonder if Yonkers has any production delay penalties written in their contract (they would be smart if they did)?

The version of the contract I saw had $100.00 day after one year or agreed to delivery date.

Its often meaningless.

1) Most depts. put that in so it does not matter to the manufacturer which dept is delayed.

2) All manufacturers require that every change order be signed by the dept. rep. Many have a hidden clause saying that each change order comes with a 5-10 add time to the final delivery date. Even if the "change order" is to correct errors that the manufacturer has made.

So you go for the prepaint inspection and find they installed something wrong, If you want it fixed, it adds time.

Sounds like the contracts should be written differently. I would think the contract would be written by the customer and the proposals would address time associated with change orders.

And then if the customer accepts the reason for delay as reasonable, then who are we to object?

Monroe is delivered already? Just posted a pic from final inspection on Smeal's Facebook a few days ago. A comment in reply to it suggests the new 538 is going to be a Smeal mid-mount.

Final Inspection was last week, no set date for delivery yet. And you are correct

Sounds like the contracts should be written differently. I would think the contract would be written by the customer and the proposals would address time associated with change orders.

And then if the customer accepts the reason for delay as reasonable, then who are we to object?

1) How experienced are most depts./municipalities at this vs. the manufacturers?

2) The big problem is how much time is needed for a minor change vs. a major one? What if what the customer wants is a minor change (i.e. will take the factory 5 minutes to change out a switch), but it will take 2 weeks for them to order it and receive it? Should they have to pay $14,000 in fines (based on $100 a day)?

What is the difference between a said "squad ' and an engine co.

What is the difference between a said "squad ' and an engine co.

1) How experienced are most depts./municipalities at this vs. the manufacturers?

TRUE, So TRUE!

2) The big problem is how much time is needed for a minor change vs. a major one? What if what the customer wants is a minor change (i.e. will take the factory 5 minutes to change out a switch), but it will take 2 weeks for them to order it and receive it? Should they have to pay $14,000 in fines (based on $100 a day)?

Agreed that wouldn't be reasonable. Try being a general contractor on public works project sometime.

From a Jersey Buff Newark through a Homeland Security fund is getting a foam engine and a foam tower ladder

From a Jersey Buff Newark through a Homeland Security fund is getting a foam engine and a foam tower ladder

Now I know what a Foam Pumper Engine is but exactly what is a "Foam Tower Ladder"?

Now I know what a Foam Pumper Engine is but exactly what is a "Foam Tower Ladder"?

From what he heard the tower ladder would have a nozzle attachment that would deliver foam, also im gonna assume that it will be able to deliver water too since he said its going to ladder 4 and first due to the airport.