State: NY
County: Westchester
City/Town/Municipality/Dept: Hawthorne
Unit designation/identifier: Engine 154

Expected Delivery: Spring-2014

Replaces: 1983 Pierce Rear Mount 100' TL

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: Sutphen
Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length:

Spy shots on Hawthorne FD Page (Thanks MD): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hawthorne-Fire-Department/559420167426040

FDNY 10-75 likes this

FB is calling it E154. Is TL12 for sale.

(*)

Edited by mfc2257

Looks great, thanks for the photos! What will this Engine be first due on? And is it replacing TL-12 in the bay?

Looks great, thanks for the photos! What will this Engine be first due on? And is it replacing TL-12 in the bay?

This will be first due to MVAs, car fires, brush fires, CO calls, wires and gas calls etc. Yes it will replace TL 12 in the bay.

E106MKFD likes this

So Hawthorne is no longer going to have a ladder?

No Hawthorne still has L56 a 2007 ALF. 75ft straight stick.

They've got a 75ft Quint and are surrounded by a ocean of tower ladders.

Well not to pick on any one department, but - one might say they (as is every other department in the area) are surrounded by an ocean of engines too, but I would never bring that up.

Edited by wcr20

Has TL-12 been sold yet?

No Hawthorne still has L56 a 2007 ALF. 75ft straight stick.

They never took delivery of the ALF 75' Quint, They bought a KME 75' Quint.

Stay Safe

They never took delivery of the ALF 75' Quint, They bought a KME 75' Quint.

Stay Safe

Yes you are right sorry I had a brain fart

Has TL-12 been sold yet?

There is a department in upstate NY who made an offer they are in the process of getting the paperwork drawn up.

Many fire departments could sell off at least one engine and NEVER notice the difference. Dept near me with five guys on duty. They have FOUR engines and a quint. WASTE OF TAXPAYER money. Plain and simple. I commend Hawthorne for downsizing a bit.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

why would you sell off an engine that does not make any sense I would rather a full fleet than have nothing

Because in selling it, you reduce maintenance costs, insurance costs, replacement costs and the overall burden to the taxpayer. You can free up budgetary monies for other items. The list goes on and on. There just isn't a good reason for departments like the one I mentioned to have the size fleet that they do.

Same goes for many of the westchester fleets. You take a department with a few square mile coverage area who consistently can only put one piece on the road for calls. WHY do they need a fleet with three pumps? Or more? Why is there a county in NY with something like 57 heavy rescues with a smaller population than NYC who has 5?

It goes back to ones motivation and why you do what you do. Are your decisions made with the taxpayer in mind? Or your departments collective ego? Can you do it better with less? Do you need everything on that floor? Do you even use everything on that floor? Could you join forces with a neighbor and share services?

Newburgher, Bnechis, BBBMF and 1 other like this