Dr. Zuki

Westchester County PD Aviation

15 posts in this topic

Why is the Westchester County PD helicopter no longer assisting local police departments??

Have not heard them on any local PD frequencies for a long time.

Thanks

I know for a fact that they do all the time, just because you do not hear them doesn't mean they aren't helping agencies. It seems like you are you basing this statement solely because you do not hear them on your scanner?

DonMoose likes this

I know for a fact that they do all the time, just because you do not hear them doesn't mean they aren't helping agencies. It seems like you are you basing this statement solely because you do not hear them on your scanner?

Well then prove him wrong. If you can't do it for him, how can you do it for the people who pay for it?

Well then prove him wrong. If you can't do it for him, how can you do it for the people who pay for it?

Well A) it's not my job to prove it to anyone.

B ) why can't he prove that they've said no and are not helping agencies? I think making an assumption that they are doing that and him saying it's because they haven't heard them on local pd frequencies is not valid.

Edited by mreis95

The WCPD helicopter is available 24/7/365 to area agencies who need and request it.

It's been harder to "patrol" due to the harsh winter, and the limited fuel the county allocates in it's budget.

They just made a rescue a few weeks ago:

http://newrochelle.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/county-aviation-unit-rescues-wind-surfer-on-long-island-sound

I have a question- can a local FD (specifically in Putnam county) request WCPD help to do a water drop with a "Bambi bucket"? What criteria is required? Can a local fire chief request it, or does the request have to come from a county coordinator or OEM?

WCPD did a presentation a few years back with the aviation unit for my department. Short answer is yes, but I would arrange a meeting with the division to get the criteria and procedures.

Information is FALSE.

WCPD Aviation is very active and constantly assisting other jurisdictions by monitoring various

PD/FD radios and upon request.

Recently they were assisting Yonkers with a Crime In Progress over the weekend.

Patroling the MTA Metro North Hudson R/R Line all week for Operation Safeguard

including numerous other inspections all transmitted over WCPD radio.

They had a Water Rescue in March assisting New Rochelle PD.

http://newrochelle.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/county-aviation-unit-rescues-wind-surfer-on-long-island-sound

Reach out to Vincent Antonecchia who is the Commanding Officer of the WCPD Aviation Unit.

I am sure he can clear up any "rumors"

Capejake72 and x635 like this

Back to the bambi bucket question since brush fire season is upon us... What kind of air resources are available for "water drops" for example Brewster yesterday.

Back to the bambi bucket question since brush fire season is upon us... What kind of air resources are available for "water drops" for example Brewster yesterday.

New York State Police

New York City Police

Westchester County Police

NY Air National Guard (limited availability depending on deployments, etc.)

For a major fire, other agencies could be brought into the area by the State (Forest Rangers through OEM).

State Police used to have a requirement that there be a forest ranger on site before they would respond but I don't know if that's true still.

Thanks for the update.. Wasn't sure who still had the capability. I know in Somers we used NYPD at a large brush fire a few years ago.

WCPD Air 2 assisted Orangeburg FD/Rockland County during the large brush fire on Clausland Mountain in November. Also assisting with water drops were the NYSP with their Bell UH-1H Huey N129SP, as well as West Point 2nd Aviation Detachment with their Eurocopter UH-72 Lakota, based out of Stewart.

My name is Vincent Antonecchia, I am a Sergeant with the Westchester County Police and the Commanding Officer of The Westchester County Police Aviation Unit. After being alerted to the content of this forum, I am compelled to respond professionally, clear up any false information or misconceptions and provide accurate details about our capabilities and the mechanism for requesting our services.

We are still very much assisting regional jurisdictions and municipalities. The Unit consists of six police officers, including myself and we are all trained as Tactical Flight Officers. One officer is our Unit mechanic. He is A&P/IA licensed through the FAA and has extensive experience and training in the commercial aviation industry. We currently have two Bell 407 helicopters and there are four commercially rated helicopter pilots with varying backgrounds, training and experience. Safety is our number one priority and we strive to be available and provide whatever resources we can to Police, Fire and OEM's. Recently, at the request of the Westchester County DPW, we used our infrared FLIR technology to locate a large underground steam leak at the Westchester Medical Center and prevented the need to dig multiple and costly search holes.

We are available 24/7/365, but obviously limited during inclement weather, high winds, crew availability and concurrent operations. Due to manpower limitations, calls for service and budget constraints, we staff the Unit five days a week from 0900/2400 hours. Our services are FREE as we are a regional asset and regularly operate outside of Westchester County. Any municipality requesting air support should contact the WCPD Desk Officer at (914) 864-7890. Any specific questions concerning the Unit and our capabilities can contact me directly at (914) 995-5019.

The following is a list of our most commonly requested services and capabilities in no particular order:

• Bambi-Bucket (fire fighting) operations. We do not require Forest Ranger of SEMO authorization to be called, but requests should be based on common sense, severity and requesting agency protocols
  • FLIR (Infrared) searches (day & night) - Great for locating suspects, lost hikers or "Hot-spots" at fire scenes
  • Ice/water rescue
  • Scene Illumination
  • Aerial photography (Video and/or stills)
  • Surveillance and/or reconnaissance
  • Live video microwave downlinking
  • Project Lifesaver
  • Special Response Team and/or equipment insertion or extraction
  • Scene Illumination
  • Locating and identifying fuel spills/contamination of waterways
  • Force multiplier

We are currently conducting hoist training with the WCPD Emergency Services Unit and Marine Unit and will have this completed in mid-May.

Thank you to all who have supported our cause and utilized our services. We look forward to providing whatever regional air support is necessary to increase safety and enhance or further your mission success.

Thanks, Sgt! We appreciate and thank you for your time in bringing your knowledge to our forum. Your post helps everyone know more about your unit, and we hope that others in positions similar to you will do the same to clear up any future misconceptions and provide helpful information to the hundreds who will read and reference your post. I'm sure the information you posted will be called upon by many people in IC roles in the future.

Also, as noted in other posts above, to note to members of the forum, please don't make a topic with an assumption that just because you don't hear a unit on the scanner, that it's no longer in operation.In other cases, it could be as simple as they changed the frequency they operated on, or your scanner is broken and no longer in operation lol.

Billy and res6cue like this