spyda308

Westchester County Fire List

178 posts in this topic

Just got another canvas letter. Are they doing one more academy from the old list? Anyone else get any letters

The march 2015 results wont be released until the fall at minimum

was wondering what the people that got canvassed from the old list got on the test.

Does anyone know when test results will be out from recent towns and villages firefighters test

Someone posted in another topic sometime around this October.

List has been certified. Scores should be sent out Monday.

Edited by firstdue

Received my score. Apparently it's a top heavy test

Edited by dodff

I've heard a rumor that over 300 people scored a 100 on the Westchester County Firefighters Test. For some context, I also heard that people who got scores in the mid to upper 90's are close to around #800 on the list. I also don't know if this is normal, but the test grades were in 5 point increments. The list was recently certified and results have been mailed out.

If this is true, I kind of expected it. The test was ridiculously easy, If I remember correctly, it was about 50 questions, all very basic reading comprehension. It lacked any math, science, or mechanical aptitude questions that used to be on the test. Maybe if it had those questions, some people that scored high would have scored lower, and those that scored low would have scored higher?

What happened to a "Competitive Exam"? This, again IF this is true, is absolutely ridiculous and this is a matter that needs to be investigated. I thought the content of the test were supposed to identify the best possible candidate for firefighter? What is the purpose of designing or giving a test that everybody "wins"?

If this rumor is true, how is this possible? I understand a LOT of people took the test, but still.

Wooooowwww. If that's true, that's a ridiculous in my opinion. I've taken an assortment of different tests, and rarely have I seen anyone make 100 without extra points for military or otherwise depending on the dept's extra point system. I took a test for Irving last month. One of the easiest tests I've taken l other than the behavioral / psych portion of the test that I believe resulted in my 70 something score. Had it not been included I probably would've made in the upper 80's or low 90's. Tests should be difficult and competitive. To have that many people ace a test is just insane. Did they eliminate half the physical agility too?

"Here, walk up these steps, pull that hose, and hit this sled. Do it all in 20 min and you're done!"

Lol

x635 likes this

The physical agility will help take care of this but it is indicative of a ridiculous testing metric. With 300 people scoring 100 (or higher), there is definitely something flawed with the test or testing process.

Bottom of Da Hill and M' Ave like this

YES, YES, YES, BUT DOES IT ACCOMPLISH THE GOAL OF DIVERSITY????????

Until the pictures are attached, we will not know if the right people got 100 or not.

dwcfireman likes this

Until the pictures are attached, we will not know if the right people got 100 or not.

I highly doubt these scores were based on race, I know plenty of non-minorities who scored 100+. Obviously i don't know all 303 candidates who scored 100's but judging by the names on the list nothing seems to indicate that. While I can understand it wasn't a perfect test this was nothing like the recent Stamford test where graders needed to see what you looked like before giving a score.

I highly doubt these scores were based on race, I know plenty of non-minorities who scored 100+. Obviously i don't know all 303 candidates who scored 100's but judging by the names on the list nothing seems to indicate that. While I can understand it wasn't a perfect test this was nothing like the recent Stamford test where graders needed to see what you looked like before giving a score.

Of course the scores aren't based on race.....duh! And names don't mean anything these days. There are kids named Apple and North these days!

Satire aside, did Stamford really require pictures?

velcroMedic1987 likes this

It was a video based exam, meaning they had to look at you to come up with your score. Right after throwing out the test because the results didn't fit what they wanted. I'll let you make your conclusion.

It was a video based exam, meaning they had to look at you to come up with your score. Right after throwing out the test because the results didn't fit what they wanted. I'll let you make your conclusion.

umm....*speechless*....

I highly doubt these scores were based on race...

I don't think there is a way to get written test scores to reflect race, despite the usual claims of bias. THat is why I said it would take pictures to ensure that the right people got 100.

Satire aside, did Stamford really require pictures?

I am not sure about this time, I didn't follow it that much. A few tests ago they attached pictures to applications during the interview portion, to "refresh the commissioner's memories".

I took it and scored a 95 and I live in Peekskill. Any chance I'll get a call for the city or for the county for that matter? If so what time fram around do you think? Thanks for any info !

I took it and scored a 95 and I live in Peekskill. Any chance I'll get a call for the city or for the county for that matter? If so what time fram around do you think? Thanks for any info !

It's impossible to say.

If every person ahead of you turns down the job and or fails the CPAT, you will be the first person hired.

If there are 303 on the open competative list ahead of you and 50 ahead of you on the local list and they all accept the canvass and pass the CPAT, they your chances are slim at best

There are a lot a variables and unknowns, so its not possible to give you a "yes" or "no" answer

x635 likes this

It's impossible to say.

If every person ahead of you turns down the job and or fails the CPAT, you will be the first person hired.

If there are 303 on the open competative list ahead of you and 50 ahead of you on the local list and they all accept the canvass and pass the CPAT, they your chances are slim at best

There are a lot a variables and unknowns, so its not possible to give you a "yes" or "no" answer

Thanks for the info ... so its hard to say even with a 95 and living in a city jurisdiction if I'll even have a shot at this job? Thats really rough news. I've been wanting to be a firefighter for such a long time and it seems like its such a crap shoot.