spyda308

Westchester County Fire List

178 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info ... so its hard to say even with a 95 and living in a city jurisdiction if I'll even have a shot at this job? Thats really rough news. I've been wanting to be a firefighter for such a long time and it seems like its such a crap shoot.

If FF1's info about 50 city residences out ranking you then I wouldn't get my hopes up. Considering the city only hired 4 (correct me if I'm wrong) off the last list, getting through 50+ would be a surprise. But crazier things have happened.

As far as the rest of the county goes, if you didn't score 100 I wouldn't hold my breath. Best thing to do is to work out as if your CPAT is next week, bolster your resume (EMT, volunteer, work experience etc.) and keep testing.

If FF1's info about 50 city residences out ranking you then I wouldn't get my hopes up. Considering the city only hired 4 (correct me if I'm wrong) off the last list, getting through 50+ would be a surprise. But crazier things have happened.

As far as the rest of the county goes, if you didn't score 100 I wouldn't hold my breath. Best thing to do is to work out as if your CPAT is next week, bolster your resume (EMT, volunteer, work experience etc.) and keep testing.

Theres no way even close to 50 people scored that in my town.. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that moves will get made otherwise I'll just keep testing. Thanks for the info

Best bet would be to call Peekskil HR yourself and find out for sure where you stand.

The city is hiring a firefighter but will not disclose if they are hiring off the residence list or county list.

Theres no way even close to 50 people scored that in my town.. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that moves will get made otherwise I'll just keep testing. Thanks for the info

the 50 number was me making a point.

I have no idea how many is on the local list.

My point is, if there are 2 people ahead of you, then your chances are great. it there are 50 ahead of you your chances arent great.

see my point?

its hard to give you your chances without knowing what you are up against.

The city is hiring a firefighter but will not disclose if they are hiring off the residence list or county list.

The residence list is usually the first list used then the county list.

The residence list is usually the first list used then the county list.

Are you sure about that? I was told if they go off the residence list they are stuck with it to the end.

velcroMedic1987 likes this

Are you sure about that? I was told if they go off the residence list they are stuck with it to the end.

That's the way it works. Someone scoring a 100 on the County List gets hired after someone scoring the minimum passing grade on the resident list. All jurisdictions with dual lists do it that way. Don't like the way it's done? Rent a place in the city you want to work for, and actually move in. Then, you can file as a resident.

That's the way it works. Someone scoring a 100 on the County List gets hired after someone scoring the minimum passing grade on the resident list. All jurisdictions with dual lists do it that way. Don't like the way it's done? Rent a place in the city you want to work for, and actually move in. Then, you can file as a resident.

No I actually love the fact that its done that way being that I live in a fire jurisdiction within westchester county. My question is this, dont they have an option if they want to go off residence list or county list? Also side note.. not that pressing, but usually how long does it take for the city to pull their residence list from the county test. Thanks for the info guys.

If they have both lists, they do it to exhaust the resident list first. My city, has a spanish speaking resident, city resident, Spanish speaking county, then the county list. As they said above, no real cut and dry timeline. Our last list, we hired 25. Some tests, 0. Our resident lists were first, lots of people couldn't pass the agility test, some didn't even bother showing up. we went to the county lists, and some were already hired elsewhere, so they were no longer interested. It varies by city, and county, but comes down to how many openings. Hope that helps clear it up somewhat.

x635 and BFD1054 like this

If they have both lists, they do it to exhaust the resident list first. My city, has a spanish speaking resident, city resident, Spanish speaking county, then the county list. As they said above, no real cut and dry timeline. Our last list, we hired 25. Some tests, 0. Our resident lists were first, lots of people couldn't pass the agility test, some didn't even bother showing up. we went to the county lists, and some were already hired elsewhere, so they were no longer interested. It varies by city, and county, but comes down to how many openings. Hope that helps clear it up somewhat.

It does thank you !

Newburgher likes this

I have 4 people ahead of me for my City and they are looking to hire someone this year. Based on your guys' past experiences, what are my odds of getting canvassed ? The people ahead of me scored 100s and I scored a 95.

I have 4 people ahead of me for my City and they are looking to hire someone this year. Based on your guys' past experiences, what are my odds of getting canvassed ? The people ahead of me scored 100s and I scored a 95.

they can only interview the 100s as of now. when there are 2 or less 100s remaining on the local list, you will get a canvass letter if there is an opening.

the way it works is, for each job, they canvass the top 3 scores.

if there are 3 100's, then all 3 100 are the top 1 2 and 3 in no paricular order

if there are 2 100s. then the 2 100s are # 1 and 2 and all 95s are #3

if there is 1 100 and 1 95, then the 100 is #1, the 95 is #2 and all the 90s are #3

they can hire anyone that is canvassable.

so in theory given my last example with the 1 100 1 95 and 90s being #3, a applicant with the score of a 90 can be hired over a 100 and or 95

2 lists ago, there was a applicant on the list that remained on the list and expired on the list with a 100. many 90s were hired over the 100. i don't know the paticulars regarding the situation though

hopefully that answers your question

x635 likes this

they can only interview the 100s as of now. when there are 2 or less 100s remaining on the local list, you will get a canvass letter if there is an opening.

if there are 3 100's, then all 3 100 are the top 1 2 and 3 in no paricular order

if there is 1 100 and 1 95, then the 100 is #1, the 95 is #2 and all the 90s are #3

so in theory given my last example with the 1 100 1 95 and 90s being #3, a applicant with the score of a 90 can be hired over a 100 and or 95

2 lists ago, there was a applicant on the list that remained on the list and expired on the list with a 100. many 90s were hired over the 100. i don't know the paticulars regarding the situation though

That does a pretty good job at explaining alot of information. So with these facts being present, if 2 people who scored a 100 either fail the CPAT, dont take the job, or move along somewhere else then I can expect to be canvassed ? So by what you're describing I have a fairly good chance with 95 and only 4 people ahead of me I would assume with one job opening currently being present. Thanks for this info !

I am not sure that you are 100% correct. I believe you are able to canvas the entire list in order to establish a eligible candidate list.

As example, Four people score 100 and you canvas just those four people, but it turns out two of them are not interested you would need to do another canvas in order to obtain a list with three names.

On the other hand if you canvas your entire list you now know in advance who is interested and who is not and you will be able to build your list from that. I do not remember how long you can go before you are required to re canvas the list, but there is a time limit.

The problem is that like most everything in Westchester County fire service everyone does it different so knowing what is what can be difficult to down right impossible.

If you have not heard anything yet I would not expect to be canvased for a spring academy, the CPAT process has already started.

x635 likes this

I am not sure that you are 100% correct. I believe you are able to canvas the entire list in order to establish a eligible candidate list.

As example, Four people score 100 and you canvas just those four people, but it turns out two of them are not interested you would need to do another canvas in order to obtain a list with three names.

On the other hand if you canvas your entire list you now know in advance who is interested and who is not and you will be able to build your list from that. I do not remember how long you can go before you are required to re canvas the list, but there is a time limit.

The problem is that like most everything in Westchester County fire service everyone does it different so knowing what is what can be difficult to down right impossible.

If you have not heard anything yet I would not expect to be canvased for a spring academy, the CPAT process has already started.

Seems a little contradictory to what FF1 was saying .. So that being said how many people would they canvass, and does that mean that everyone has the same chance to being hired ? What do you mean CPAT process has begun, they only do 1 per certain amount of time or is it based off the needs to the hiring jurisdiction? Thanks

Seems a little contradictory to what FF1 was saying .. So that being said how many people would they canvass, and does that mean that everyone has the same chance to being hired ? What do you mean CPAT process has begun, they only do 1 per certain amount of time or is it based off the needs to the hiring jurisdiction? Thanks

he is correct. you can "over canvass" if there are only 3 or 4 100s and canvass the 95s, but the only way you would go furthur in the process is if 2 or less 100s return the letter with a yes.

They can canvas as many as they would like to. All the "canvas" is, is a letter asking if you are potentially interested in a job that you may or may not be offered.

No for one position only the top 3 scores that replied yes to the canvas letter can be hired (Tie scores change that some. If there are eight 100's that all say yes they could chose from any of the eight).

The process for CPAT has begun, they have already had orientation for people taking the CPAT (they may have already had a practice but I am not sure) The actual CPAT test is scheduled for February.

CPAT is generally done once or twice a year in Westchester, based around the start of a Fire Academy.

And before you ask they are allowed to send five people for ever one person they plan to hire to CPAT.

BFD1054 and x635 like this

he is correct. you can "over canvass" if there are only 3 or 4 100s and canvass the 95s, but the only way you would go furthur in the process is if 2 or less 100s return the letter with a yes.

They can canvas as many as they would like to. All the "canvas" is, is a letter asking if you are potentially interested in a job that you may or may not be offered.

No for one position only the top 3 scores that replied yes to the canvas letter can be hired (Tie scores change that some. If there are eight 100's that all say yes they could chose from any of the eight).

The process for CPAT has begun, they have already had orientation for people taking the CPAT (they may have already had a practice but I am not sure) The actual CPAT test is scheduled for February.

CPAT is generally done once or twice a year in Westchester, based around the start of a Fire Academy.

And before you ask they are allowed to send five people for ever one person they plan to hire to CPAT.

Awesome info. So statistically speaking chances aren't looking terrible. I'll keep my eyes peeled, fingers crossed, and just keep training as if my CPAT was next week. Thank you gentleman.

BFD1054, x635 and boca1day like this

I read somewhere on here there is one in Feb as well ?

yes its feb. for the spring academy and aug for the fall academy. 2 CPATs a year

I remember back when we used to just take the test and hope for a letter. This back and forth about possible scenarios is ridiculous. If you get a letter, great, follow the instructions. If you don't get a letter, you weren't good enough. Take another test. End of story.

Does anyone have information on if you "defer" a CPAT. HR said that was an option. I got a canvass for letter for a test in 2 weeks and I am recovering from an injury. I don't want to fail because of my injury and be taken off the list, but I want to give myself a fair shot and not rush back into trying to pass if I can "defer" it and take it later without no big penalty. Thanks for any info !

If HR told you deferring the CPAT was an option then I would imagine they'd have information regarding that and would be worth a phone call.

Newburgher likes this

its not really defering.

you have to return the canvass letter saying no, reinstate my name immediately - other. then you specify in the provided space that you are recovering from an injury, but you want your name to remain on the list

For what it's worth, everyrhing has been different this time around. CPAT first and then you are solid for two years and can be hired by any dept who uses the county list. You can defer and remain on the list, fail and you are removed. 

Everyone of us who took the CPAT got a letter confirming pas fail this week.

Edited by Goose

Any word on Depts processing guys for upcoming classes? I scored a 100 along with about 300 others 

I just got a canvassing letter for the village of Scarsdale. The salary on the letter said $37,500. I was shocked to see the pay so low. Does anyone know what top pay is like? I can't afford that big of a pay cut unless it gets a lot better.