Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The 9/11 museum gift shop

8 posts in this topic

The museum at Ground Zero tells the dark story of the 9/11 terror attacks with spectacular artifacts and exhibits. It pays heart-wrenching tribute to the innocents and heroes killed that day.
It also has a gift shop.

Full article: http://nypost.com/2014/05/18/outrage-over-911-museum-gift-shops-crass-souvenirs/

I have been to the gift shop at The Apartheid Museum in South Africa, Pearl Harbor, and the Holocaust Museum in DC. They usually need them to support operations at the museums.

BIGRED1 likes this

Did anyone think they wouldnt have a gift shop? They have been having repeated commercials here in Ohio.

Disregarding the gift shop, the museum is very well done. My wife and I went on Sunday, and were impressed by the great job done by the curator in setting up all the exhibits and films,etc. Particularly gut-wrenching was Ladder Co. 3's rig. On the side of the aerial, with the company's name, is "Recon 3". That's the name the brothers came up with for the company, after Capt. Paddy Brown was assigned there. Paddy was in marine recon in Vietnam; a Golden Gloves boxing champ; and a super-fireman. He never talked about any of the medals he won over the years, and was one of the most humble guys you ever wanted to meet. He died at the WTC, along with all his men. They would have followed him anywhere- he was a super leader and a great human being.

If you get a chance, visit this museum, despite the rip-off price of $24 starting this week. If you responded to the WTC in Sept. 2001, you can join the "rescue and recovery worker registry", and after signing up, you are allowed free entry.

x635, sueg, BFD1054 and 2 others like this

I'm not sure I understand the controversy regarding the gift shop. I'm not trying to be insensitive but as mentioned, plenty of memorials/museums to some of the most terrible atrocities, battles and disasters in the history of mankind have gift shops.

Is it the fact that there is a gift shop in the first place, or the items that the gift shop sells that are causing controversy?

Again, I really do not mean to offend anyone, just looking to understand.

I'm not sure I understand the controversy regarding the gift shop. I'm not trying to be insensitive but as mentioned, plenty of memorials/museums to some of the most terrible atrocities, battles and disasters in the history of mankind have gift shops.

Is it the fact that there is a gift shop in the first place, or the items that the gift shop sells that are causing controversy?

Again, I really do not mean to offend anyone, just looking to understand.

I don't think the issue is so much the gift shop as it is the items being sold. This is what I gather from news articles and speaking to people I know that have been to te museum.
SageVigiles likes this

It's my understanding from articles I've read that the Council on Islamic Relations (CAIR) is miffed because some items hint that we were attacked by radical Muslims on 9/11.....when everyone knows that it was actually Norwegian fishermen.

voltage1256, sueg and Stepjam like this

Thanks to Lt411 for posting about the registry....j krasko fire patrol 2 nyfp