Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lt411

Heavy Rescue capable FD's in Westchester-Putnam area

28 posts in this topic

Yesterday (Sat.5/31) the Brewster Fire Dept. (Putnam County) was dispatched to a reported trench collapse with worker trapped. Upon arrival of the BFD chief, a sizeup was completed, and the following conditions were noted: operator of a 5 ton skid steer machine was trapped in the cab, approx. 30 ft below grade, and unable to extricate himself due to the position that the machine was stuck in; one half of the excavation appeared stable, and the other half was comprised of disturbed soil. The operator was conscious and alert, complaining of general pain due to the accident. The machine was not covered in dirt- it just fell in the hole.

The IC requested Lisi's towing to respond with their heavy-duty wrecker (20 ton capability, I believe), and also requested the West Co. Technical Rescue team. The tow truck slung the skid steer, and easily brought the machine to grade level, where the operator was rermoved and turned over to BFD ambulance and Medic 4. Croton Falls FD and Carmel ambulance were also on scene, and the operation went well.

SO, if it was a true trench collapse, with a victim entrapped, my question is this- other than FDNY- Special Operations command units, and Yonkers FD, do any other career depts. have on-duty,fully staffed (more than 3 firefighters on-duty) companies available to respond out of their district? How far out of their immediate response area would they be able to respond? Do they have a second piece stocked with shoring materials? What is the procedure to get their response, and how long would it take for them to get permission to leave their municipality?

x635 likes this

SO, if it was a true trench collapse, with a victim entrapped, my question is this- other than FDNY- Special Operations command units, and Yonkers FD, do any other career depts. have on-duty,fully staffed (more than 3 firefighters on-duty) companies available to respond out of their district? How far out of their immediate response area would they be able to respond? Do they have a second piece stocked with shoring materials? What is the procedure to get their response, and how long would it take for them to get permission to leave their municipality?

The Westchester Special Operations Task Force(WSOTF) is a mutual aid group consisting of 11 Career FD's. The departments are divided into squad companies. Every squad is trained in Hazmat/WMD, Trench, Building Collapse, Confined Space & Rope Rescue. Each Squad is equipped with Hazmat/WMD equipment (except Yonkers handles it outside the squad). Greenville, New Rochelle & Yonkers squads have collapse rescue units in addition (which carry Trench, Building Collapse, Confined Space & Rope Rescue equipment). White Plains Squad also has collapse (but I am not sure if they carry trench).

The squads are assigned as follows:

Squad # 1 Yonkers

Squad # 2 New Rochelle (with Larchmont & Pelham Manor recently being added)

Squad # 3 Mt Vernon

Squad # 4 White Plains

Squad # 5 Eastchester / Scarsdale

Squad # 6 Fairview / Greenville / Hartsdale

Each squad must respond with a minimum of 5ff's & 1 Off. But some respond with more.

Yonkers Squad Responds with a Collapse Unit. Their USAR Trailer responds with the Rescue and a USAR Task force to support the squads.

Both Greenville & White Plains have collapse units.

New Rochelle Responds with either hazmat/WMD support unit or Heavy Rescue and Collapse Rescue unit. New Rochelle was also designated for swift water rescue, has been equipped and officers have been trained as instructors. Members will be training this summer.

The system is set up so that their are approximately 54 trained/certified responders on duty in the different depts. available to respond.

Many of the squads have responded as far as Delaware County. NRFD has responded as far as Canada.

We can be requested via 60 Control. Dispatch times are generally under 5 minutes to get sent out of district.

When a tornado hit California Closets in Hawthorne (17 miles from NRFD Sta. #1) 60 Control Requested us immediately and YFD, GFD & NRFD had 50+ responders and equipment on-scene in under 25 minutes.

Also consider out of state resources. Danbury has a multitude of special operations equipment and some really excellently trained personnel to staff them. They definitely couldn't get the numbers SOTF could get, but you'd get some well trained people with some equipment on scene to at least get things started until additional resources could arrive.

Edited by SageVigiles
JM15 likes this

Danbury is 15 minutes away, Westchester is at least 40 if not more. In Albany County they had a system where each dept if they had the desire could be a part of a specialized team. Luckily here our soil is not very sandy so its fairly stable. This was operator error, not a result of a true trench collapse. Realistically a cache of shoring should be kept somewhere other than at Home Depot in case $hits on. Basic building construction and knowing about loads and how to transfer them is not as common as it once was. New guys text and are on playstation all day and not out building a tree fort like they used to.

JM15, BFD1054, Ladder44 and 3 others like this

Basic building construction and knowing about loads and how to transfer them is not as common as it once was. New guys text and are on playstation all day and not out building a tree fort like they used to.

Very true.

The Westchester Special Operations Task Force(WSOTF) is a mutual aid group consisting of 11 Career FD's. The departments are divided into squad companies. Every squad is trained in Hazmat/WMD, Trench, Building Collapse, Confined Space & Rope Rescue. Each Squad is equipped with Hazmat/WMD equipment (except Yonkers handles it outside the squad). Greenville, New Rochelle & Yonkers squads have collapse rescue units in addition (which carry Trench, Building Collapse, Confined Space & Rope Rescue equipment). White Plains Squad also has collapse (but I am not sure if they carry trench).

The squads are assigned as follows:

Squad # 1 Yonkers

Squad # 2 New Rochelle (with Larchmont & Pelham Manor recently being added)

Squad # 3 Mt Vernon

Squad # 4 White Plains

Squad # 5 Eastchester / Scarsdale

Squad # 6 Fairview / Greenville / Hartsdale

Each squad must respond with a minimum of 5ff's & 1 Off. But some respond with more.

Yonkers Squad Responds with a Collapse Unit. Their USAR Trailer responds with the Rescue and a USAR Task force to support the squads.

Both Greenville & White Plains have collapse units.

New Rochelle Responds with either hazmat/WMD support unit or Heavy Rescue and Collapse Rescue unit. New Rochelle was also designated for swift water rescue, has been equipped and officers have been trained as instructors. Members will be training this summer.

The system is set up so that their are approximately 54 trained/certified responders on duty in the different depts. available to respond.

Many of the squads have responded as far as Delaware County. NRFD has responded as far as Canada.

We can be requested via 60 Control. Dispatch times are generally under 5 minutes to get sent out of district.

When a tornado hit California Closets in Hawthorne (17 miles from NRFD Sta. #1) 60 Control Requested us immediately and YFD, GFD & NRFD had 50+ responders and equipment on-scene in under 25 minutes.

Response time being whatever it is, shouldn't at least one squad be positioned closer to Northern Westchester for a quicker response? It might take an hour for Squad 4 to assemble and respond to a incident in Yorktown or Peekskill? Unless Putnam County has a similar system?

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

Response time being whatever it is, shouldn't at least one squad be positioned closer to Northern Westchester for a quicker response? It might take an hour for Squad 4 to assemble and respond to a incident in Yorktown or Peekskill? Unless Putnam County has a similar system?

We tried to establish squads in northern Westchester, a number of depts. were approached and some trained. but politics got in the way.

The Squad concept for the most part is nothing but a "Dog and Pony" Show. Looks good on paper but that's about it with the exception of a couple of Career Depts. that can actually perform the Duties within a reasonable amount of time.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

I have a question regarding the YFD collapse unit. How is this staffed? Is it the same crew as Squad 11 or is there a separate crew on duty? If it's the same crew what is the procedure if the Squad is on a run when the collapse unit needs to be dispatched?

What is the current status/capabilities of the Greenburgh Tech Rescue Team? Is it still around?

Danbury FD is probably the closest. I am not sure how inter-state mutual aid works but Danbury and Brewster have worked together often in the past. Danbury's Special Operations Division includes a "heavy rescue" Squad 1 which is very well equipped with multiple hurst tools, lifting bags, rope rescue, etc. There is also trench capabilities through a dedicated trailer, a "gator", and the CT Northwest Regional Hazmat team which is based at Engine 26 across the street from the Danbury mall. The Hazmat team has a dedicated vehicle (Haz-Mat 1) similar to WCDES and also responds with a support vehicle. As far as manpower I am sure if requested resources sent would include the squad company of 3, an engine company of 3 and a commanding officer (maybe more). All would be highly trained, highly professional, and highly motivated (plus already staffed). I am sure I am leaving some stuff out but its been a long day and that is all I have right now.

SageVigiles and LEGENDARYDOM83 like this

If I'm not mistaken but doesn't Carmel fire department in putnam county have a squad, squad 12

No

oh im sorry, I know a few guys there and they claim they have a squad and one of the best truck companies around, sorry for the mix up

10512 and texastom791 like this

I have a question regarding the YFD collapse unit. How is this staffed? Is it the same crew as Squad 11 or is there a separate crew on duty? If it's the same crew what is the procedure if the Squad is on a run when the collapse unit needs to be dispatched?

I believe that the YFD Collapse Unit is staffed by the members of Squad 11. If a call goes out for the Collapse Unit, while Squad 11 is in quarters, 2 of the 4 Crew Members of Squad 11 drive and respond with the Collapse Rig, while the Squad 11 Driver and Captain go with Squad 11. I believe that the way it works, should Squad 11 be on a run, the crew of Rescue 1 would come and pick up the Collapse Rig (although I may be wrong on this one)

Does the Westchester TRT take out of county members ?

I believe that the YFD Collapse Unit is staffed by the members of Squad 11. If a call goes out for the Collapse Unit, while Squad 11 is in quarters, 2 of the 4 Crew Members of Squad 11 drive and respond with the Collapse Rig, while the Squad 11 Driver and Captain go with Squad 11. I believe that the way it works, should Squad 11 be on a run, the crew of Rescue 1 would come and pick up the Collapse Rig (although I may be wrong on this one)

Thanks, much appreciated.

No

You both are mistaken, we in fact do have a heavy rescue. If I figure out how to put pics on here I would show you.

You both are mistaken, we in fact do have a heavy rescue. If I figure out how to put pics on here I would show you.

Thank you.

To add pictures click "more reply options" button at the lower right corner of the reply box. You can then attach files.

In general, most "heavy rescues", unless they have an additional unit(s) or trailers are not what is being referred to here. One must carry trench shoring, building collapse shoring, and other specialized tools for USAR based function.

FEMA & NYS have extensive information on "Typing" which is used to determine capabilities.

Thank you.

To add pictures click "more reply options" button at the lower right corner of the reply box. You can then attach files.

In general, most "heavy rescues", unless they have an additional unit(s) or trailers are not what is being referred to here. One must carry trench shoring, building collapse shoring, and other specialized tools for USAR based function.

FEMA & NYS have extensive information on "Typing" which is used to determine capabilities.

Oh OK, thanks. Will do it later when on pc.

Squad meaning rescue and Haz mat (level 2 or spec) techs?

Having a heavy rescue is different than having a team of people trained to perform a technical rescue such as a trench collapse. I have no idea what Carmel's capabilities are (they may very well have that capacity, and if they do that's pretty awesome) but I'd venture to say that MOST departments with a "Rescue Company" are not trained to do those sorts of technical rescues.

Carmel does in fact have multiple members that are technical rescue trained we run a heavy rescue with various technical rescue equipment on it a rescue engine with an array of tech rescue equipment as well as a tech rescue trailer with miscellaneous equipment on it we're available to respond anywhere or train with any department as far as an official team we have nothing officially organized

Bnechis and SageVigiles like this

ok lets get it straight. in no way shape or form does any fire department in Putnam county have a squad or heavy rescue. the departments fall short on equipment,manpower and training. just because a department sends a few guys to a weekend class, doesn't cut it. if that department is called to act as a heavy rescue and those members aren't on the rig,what are you. im all for company pride, but calling yourself something that you clearly aren't is stupid. like somebody said before, "dog and pony show". a squad and rescue company are designed to provide a special service in addition to your normal responding units. if you cant provide that service 100% of the time, your just kidding yourself. plus it takes away from the true meaning and mission of the rescue company, and that is and will always be to rescue a downed brother, not send a rig with "rescue" on the side to an mva to apply speedy dry.

S1720G likes this

squad on the apparatus NO, a company of firefighters trained to that level No, and qualified officers NO, yep no squad company

The term, squad just like "Rescue" or "Heavy Rescue" is often bantered about, but you need to define it.

Over the years I have seen a number "Heavy Rescues" that when you open the compartments you find they do not own enough equipment to handle a 2 car MVA.

post-4072-0-09652800-1402706273.jpg

This appears to be the pre delivery pic, but it makes the point, it is not a heavy rescue till its equipped and staffed.

I have told more than 1 "Heavy Rescue Unit" that just because the apparatus weights a lot, does not make it a "Heavy" Rescue